Dec 19, 2013, 06:34 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenV1
Damn, pricey stuff. The motor is probably one of the cheaper components. Gonna need at least a 3blde and a custom spinner. So now probably more closer to $2000 all said and done.

Raven
I like to be fair towards Horizon Hobby (Hangar9) with respect to prices for the new model. You have to understand that there was lots of effort put into these models in the aspect of construction for "BOTH" Gasoline / Glow / and of course ELECTRIC.

You really have to be into the hobby and appreciate the larger models 'and' expect to pay out a reasonable amount for a very well designed and constructed model so, lets stop harping on the prices and I am one to shut up myself as all jokes aside this is the best model that $$$ can buy.

A must-watch video about the Georgia Model Aviators includes Model Airplane News contributors Jerry Smith and Pedro Sanchez! Atlanta’s PBS station, PBA30, did a wonderful job of showcasing what RC airplanes are all about, from ARFs to scale scratch-building, flying and even new technology like multi-rotors, First Person View and flight simulators. The club members were wonderful ambassadors for RC, and our hats are off to PBS for their positive, professional portrayal of the hobby.

Just watch this video!
Georgia Model Aviators (9 min 14 sec)

to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2013, 08:23 PM
that is a great video thanks for sharing.
Dec 19, 2013, 09:50 PM
Gear jammin,Foam crackin!

Can I Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial
I like to be fair towards Horizon Hobby (Hangar9) with respect to prices for the new model. You have to understand that there was lots of effort put into these models in the aspect of construction for "BOTH" Gasoline / Glow / and of course ELECTRIC.

You really have to be into the hobby and appreciate the larger models 'and' expect to pay out a reasonable amount for a very well designed and constructed model so, lets stop harping on the prices and I am one to shut up myself as all jokes aside this is the best model that $$$ can buy.

A must-watch video about the Georgia Model Aviators includes Model Airplane News contributors Jerry Smith and Pedro Sanchez! Atlanta’s PBS station, PBA30, did a wonderful job of showcasing what RC airplanes are all about, from ARFs to scale scratch-building, flying and even new technology like multi-rotors, First Person View and flight simulators. The club members were wonderful ambassadors for RC, and our hats are off to PBS for their positive, professional portrayal of the hobby.

Just watch this video!
http://youtu.be/x12lXJsh3y4

Well, I don't know about you...but I'll be harping and crying everytime I buy something for this. But when she's done, I be showin and bragging. I,ve been dreamin all day. and your right, top dog for sure. Just might have to wait for that sale though For us poor folk this will be a slow process

Raven
Dec 20, 2013, 12:44 AM
Thank you Horizon for a great looking kit!
Dec 20, 2013, 02:46 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by edf nut
http://www.franktiano.com/TopGun/Top...ook%202013.pdf

http://usscalemasters.org/forumsmf2/...?page=compgide

I dont know what scale competition your referring to, but top gun and scale masters allow the use of a gyro.
If you ever get around to flying a turbine jet, almost all of them have a gyro on steering/rudder.

Travis
You dont need a gyro on a tri gear and all the guys I know that fly jets dont use gyros
Dec 20, 2013, 07:25 AM
Volt-action...
ncflyer79 - thanks for the information about the 109... I'll look into it.
Dec 20, 2013, 08:04 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenV1
Well, I don't know about you...but I'll be harping and crying everytime I buy something for this. But when she's done, I be showin and bragging. I,ve been dreamin all day. and your right, top dog for sure. Just might have to wait for that sale though For us poor folk this will be a slow process

Raven
Go ahead and silently cry as we all have to decide our Hobby Budget every year as far as which projects we can get into and that "IS" not the fault of the Distributor for pricing. They need to stay in business and like I said there is lots of stuff that has to go into an ARF model like this size and quality level and all that cost $$$.

Therefore, unless you decide to built one yourself (perhaps) it "MAY" be within reach of your budget, I don't know, however, it is my opinion, that Kit Building has its own expenses and it may reach the same or higher end cost from comparing it to this new released ARF.

As an example and I am NOT trying to shoot down Top Flite or any other maker of fine quality RC Warbird models but, I am posting a newly uploaded Video from 2 Brothers who just performed a in depth review of the new Top Flite F4U Corsair with flaps and Fast Forward to Time Hack 2:11 and Time Hack 6:00 and you will see that this model has its issues!! I have yet to find anything of this level with any of the Hangar9 line of Warbird models...

Top Flite F4U Corsair 60 ARF Review, Part 2 - Scoring (17 min 53 sec)
Last edited by PittSpecial; Dec 20, 2013 at 08:29 AM.
Dec 20, 2013, 08:26 AM
I have many models and foamies of all sizes. I just started doing giant scale in the last two years and found it to be the most rewarding RC experience. Sure I still grab a foamie for a quick run to the field and have a ball, but when I get out a big 1/4 scale or 12 lb built up warbird from Hangar 9, wow, what fun.

So yes the big models cost more, and you get what you pay for. The wow factor increases with wingspan, so just save your pennies and budget your projects. It will be well worth it.
Dec 20, 2013, 10:52 AM
The Spitfire manual says it requires two 6 cell 5000 mah packs for the power 160, yet the power 160 instructions say it will only take up to 9 cells. Which is correct. I do not want to purchase 5 cell packs.
Dec 20, 2013, 11:04 AM
You will want to run the Spitty on 10S. My guess is 4000-5000 mah is good. I run pattern for a strong 7 minutes on 10S 4500mah. You can get a Turnigy 5S 5000mah 30C battery for $55 each. Good value. That is only $110 for a flight pair. Store charge and you will got over 100 cycles or more leaving 30% after each flight.

But the manual does say [2] 6S 5000mah Lipos. I don't think that is right. Unless Horizon can verify the Power 160 will take 12S. It is rated for 9S-10S, and that will give you 2700 watts. That is about 145 watts/lb for the Spit which sounds spot on.
Last edited by tclaridge; Dec 20, 2013 at 11:13 AM.
Dec 20, 2013, 11:49 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge
You will want to run the Spitty on 10S. My guess is 4000-5000 mah is good. I run pattern for a strong 7 minutes on 10S 4500mah. You can get a Turnigy 5S 5000mah 30C battery for $55 each. Good value. That is only $110 for a flight pair. Store charge and you will got over 100 cycles or more leaving 30% after each flight.

But the manual does say [2] 6S 5000mah Lipos. I don't think that is right. Unless Horizon can verify the Power 160 will take 12S. It is rated for 9S-10S, and that will give you 2700 watts. That is about 145 watts/lb for the Spit which sounds spot on.
Refer to:

Dec 20, 2013, 11:54 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP

How many Li-POLY Cells?

Also in the manual you have a picture showing they are using 10S setup!

Dec 20, 2013, 03:33 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
It's a 10S setup. We'll get the completion guide on the website corrected.
Dec 20, 2013, 03:44 PM
Or run a 4S and 6S together, of the same capacity and type, if that's what you have in your box for other models.
Dec 20, 2013, 03:52 PM
Parkstormer!
It looks like a great addition, and I love Spitfires--maybe I can remove the black armband I've been wearing since the PZ Spitfire got discontinued. Seriously, though, I may add this one to the bucket list . . .

Quick Reply