Action Drone AD1 Review - Mike Mas - Page 2 - RC Groups
Dec 23, 2013, 10:58 PM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
Mike, yeah, for some reason it does not load in Chrome :-(
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2014, 02:02 PM
Hey all you AD1 fans – just go through ripping my AD1 apart and putting it back together – here’s some of the mod’s I did;
Moved the radio gear slightly forward to accommodate my new mounting position of the AD’s battery.

Move the AD’s battery to the top shelf – this in itself is a major achievement both from the pilots ability to change the battery as well as a safety factor – I applied a few strips of Velcro to the cell and platform to hold the cell in place and just one or two straps are needed for security- Another bonus is the tray has side rails which retain the cell in the proper position. It’s now also easy to check the battery voltage since the balancing plug is accessible.

I hooked the board to my “knob” channel so I have pitch control for “Look Down” shots.

I relocated the reciever antenna away from the carbon and circuity.

Installed the DJI Mini iOSD and grabbed the video off the gimbal board then ran through the OSD for keying information on the monitor.

To power the transmitter – I soldered the transmitter lead wires right to the bottom of the Gimbal board where the battery is now attached.
Jan 04, 2014, 02:05 PM
Freaking amazing mike!
Jan 04, 2014, 06:24 PM
Can someone confirm which leads are which on the gimbal video out & grd Catus put up a image but I'm not getting video out

thanks
Jan 28, 2014, 04:14 PM

CAUTION - DJI NAZA V2 GPS Unexpected Take-Off Hazard – Mike Mas

Be advised if you are using the Naza V2- GPS your machine will take-off with no prior warning - which could result in an accident or serious injury.
Problem: DJi’s new “Non-Signal” firmware which monitors the receiver for a “No Signal” status them automatically engages failsafe has no priority to lock out this feature while on the ground.

Event: Pilot engages and starts the motors – if the pilot does not move the cyclic yaw or throttle sticks for a short period of time - the Naza instantly enters “fail-Safe” mode and in a few seconds goes to full throttle in an attempt to reach failsafe altitude therefore causing the pilot to think the machine is in a fly-away state.

My Event: I set the machine on the runway spooled up the motors, after a few seconds, I walked over to my FPV monitor to check the readout battery voltage - as I began to walk back to the machine, the multi blasted off the ground – As I held low throttle in hopes of reducing the accent - I switched to failsafe with no results - next I flipped to ATTI to dump the GPS and my machine went to low throttle tumbled out of the sky, unknowingly, my 40+ years of reflex instantly added throttle in time to prevent the motors from shutting down and it nearly hit my truck and Linda as it sped back up to the ground.

I recommend that anyone using this Naza be aware of this error and take precautions when on the ground and spooling up the motors – remember if your in GPS mode you’ll have to move to ATTI to dump the fail-safe routine already started. DJI needs to address his problem with a update to prevent fail-safe engagement while the machine is on the ground.

Fly Safe!

Mike Mas

Bench test of error video attached

CAUTION - DJI V2 GPS Unexpected Take-Off Hazard -- Mike Mas (0 min 57 sec)
Last edited by Mike Mas; Feb 01, 2014 at 02:29 PM.
Feb 20, 2014, 01:21 AM
Mike did you finalize what you think is the reason for the crazy auto take off bug? Do you know how we can prevent it? Please keep us informed. I was reading your other thread I'm starting to lose track. Maybe you have a quick summary and also a video showing the actual video of the AD1 taking off? Also by chance you have any AD1 videos?
Feb 20, 2014, 07:46 AM
Hey sorry about that - here's the thread on the take-off problem - there is a video I recently posted from the AD1, you'll have to filter out all the worthless remarks from the forum Jockey's who still think its a hoax.

The problem stems from just having just a trim off-center - the Naza thinks its flying and since it does not see any input from the pilot it goes into failsafe and takes off un-expected.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2089211&page=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=GIGZ21nBx58
Feb 20, 2014, 08:22 AM
US Support / 107 Certified
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionDrone
Mike did you finalize what you think is the reason for the crazy auto take off bug? Do you know how we can prevent it? Please keep us informed. I was reading your other thread I'm starting to lose track. Maybe you have a quick summary and also a video showing the actual video of the AD1 taking off? Also by chance you have any AD1 videos?
Don't setup the naza wrong and follow preflight.. incase you want to know the errors in Mikes setup here you go.

Enable advance rx protection, even though you have a programmable failsafe.

Make sure you add trim to a flight channel.

Now, do not perform preflight as per manual. Do not check mid stick light pattern.

This step is very important, now arm the craft and let it sit on the deck without touching a stick for more than 40* sec..

You too will have a mike mas RTH
Last edited by blade strike; Feb 20, 2014 at 10:29 AM. Reason: added correct time
Feb 20, 2014, 08:46 AM
" you'll have to filter out all the worthless remarks from the forum Jockey's who still think you should set up a multicopter correctly before arming."

Fixed that for you!
Feb 20, 2014, 10:32 AM
US Support / 107 Certified
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonV
" you'll have to filter out all the worthless remarks from the forum Jockey's who still think you should set up a multicopter correctly before arming."

Fixed that for you!
Thanks for taking the time and fixing that for him
Latest blog entry: Mavic CrystalSky Mount
May 07, 2014, 09:33 AM
Did somebody find a reasonable priced alternative landing gear? I work and live in Dubai now and this place is dusty, sandy so a taller landing gear would be nice as an option.
Oct 02, 2015, 04:57 PM
Hey all you AD1 owners - been on a motorcycle Hiatus (Slingshot) and getting back in Drones again!

Anyhow, I'm posting this item on this thread because I'm selling the same exact machine used in the review - My AD1 which has only 20 flights on it and I'm including two batteries. If anyone is interested please drop me an offer by email to:

rotory@earthlink.net

Or you can reach me by phone at 540-353-1965

Thanks

Mike
Last edited by Mike Mas; Oct 08, 2015 at 07:10 PM.