OneSheeter #14: Rollason Beta - RC Groups
Dec 16, 2013, 10:05 AM
treefinder
Discussion

OneSheeter #14: Rollason Beta

So what is a Rollason Beta? It's a 60's era British F1 racer ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollason_Beta ) that won a couple of races in 1969. Several have been built and are Tiger club club planes as I understand it. I first heard of it from a stick and tissue model that was featured in Model Aviation. The thing that took my eye was the flat center section of the wing with dihedral in the tips. Should be an interesting build challenge, I thought. (along with fitting all the parts on a single piece of MPF...) Maiden flight was last week, but it was "eventful"... I re maidened on Wednesday morning, and while there are a few trim issues still to be resolved, she's a pretty nice flyer.

Specs:
Wingspan: 39"
OAL: 31.5"
AUW: 22oz less battery
Power: Emax 2822 (1200kv), 9x6 apc style prop, 30amp Hobbyking SS ESC, 3s 1300 or 1500 mah packs. (original motor)
UPgraded to KEDA KA22-15m about 60 gm, and 1050kv still with a sf 9x6 prop. Plenty of power now!

Construction is Model Plane Foam (of course!) with a laminated poplar spar at high point of chord and leading edge spar on wing. Fuse is all rolled section foam with local reinforcements of tongue depressors and skewers. Canopy is heat shrunk pop bottle. Covering is WBPU and coffee filters with rattle can paint.

I forgot to leave space for build log pics, so they will start on post: #64 pn page 5
3-2-14 update: finally got around to updating the sketchup file with changes made to make her fly, and to reinforce the nose (which had a habit of crushing on my one point landings - not saying the new version will be much better, but the subframe will help with building the rolled fuse in the nose area. Below are the pdf's: full single sheet, and tiled to 20 letter size sheets. This is foam only, and it fits on a single 24x48" MPF or FFF sheet, if you want to be frugal like me. I will post another pdf of some other templates like the fuse cutout for wing, motor mount ,landing gear, etc. eventually... Sooner if someone starts building from these templates!

Finally got some vid,
beta 2-10-14 (1 min 26 sec)
Last edited by springer; Mar 27, 2014 at 05:20 PM. Reason: added vid 2/10/14
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2013, 10:17 AM
Mike, that is a sweet looking plane.

Mike
Dec 16, 2013, 10:19 AM
yank and bank!!
Good looking plane. You, sir, are a machine!
Dec 16, 2013, 10:21 AM
treefinder

details:

More pics of the plane. Two Sundays ago, I did maiden, and the power off glide into tall grass was outstanding! Nice and long and flat (this is gonna be good!) Power on, take off from short grass, nice runup, and lift off, banked into a downwind turn, brought her around into wind. Needs some down trim to prevent nosing up. Ooops! Starting to act wierd, eventually becomes uncontrollable and spirals into ground (fortunately into the tall grass in the ditch). Landing gear broken and broke off, few tiny dents in fuse, and aileron horn hanging by the wire! Bummer! I'd forgot to drill through the horn when I Hot glued it in place. Both sides fixed with BSI foamcure and a drilled hole filled with toothpick - should be secure now! Landing gear was two layers of glass with a Basswood sandwich. Not a good Idea. Wood doesn't go through the right angle, and assemble broke there. Gear now has total of 8 layers of glass without wood, Seemed to work fine on second flight.

Second flight was Wed. morning in 20F weather. Runup and take off good and flight decent. She still had the tendency to nose up, and a bit or roll correction needed. Trimmed out the roll, but the nose up still bothersome. I adjusted the down thrust I had in the motor mount out, so now she's basically zero/zero to the thrust line. Hopefully another flight today to confirm that's correct.

I am still reworking the templates to add in the extra parts I "discovered" while building the plane, but will post them soon.
Dec 16, 2013, 10:22 AM
treefinder
Thanks, Guys! Hopefully she'll be a good all purpose flyer!
Dec 16, 2013, 10:40 AM
i am in . can wait for plan. nice
Dec 16, 2013, 12:43 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Nice work Mike!

Ken
Latest blog entry: Ken's CAD Models new web site
Dec 16, 2013, 02:37 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
What a nice little thingo. You'd have to be happy with that.
Skis soon?
Dec 16, 2013, 03:24 PM
skumgummi dave
Springer:

The Rollason Beta is Moooeee Suculentoe!

Dave-
Dec 16, 2013, 10:17 PM
treefinder
Skis today. But the trim issues STILL not right. She's in depot for repairs. Perhaps tomorrow.
Dec 17, 2013, 10:37 AM
Hi Springer,

That is one fine looking plane, great workmanship. I've heard of the coffee filter covering before, it might have been from one of your post I'm not sure. I am going to give it a try.

does the filter shrink any as it dries, and does it ad much strength to the airframe? Thanks for the post and info.
Dec 17, 2013, 12:55 PM
treefinder
Probably was...

The filters add strength in the same way as packing tape, in that they provide a stiffer skin. I use them more for the dent resistance and ability to paint with most anything after the wbpu is cured. They aren't nearly as good as fiberglass, but then I can get 2 hundred of 'em for two bucks!

There is a bit of technique to their use. I brush a coat of wbpu onto the area I want to apply one, then lay the filter on and apply another coat to wet it out. Then there is a bit of wiping with fingertip (gloves or finger cots are a good idea) to smooth out wrinkles and get it smooth. I can lift it up and reposition several times if needed. They will mold to gentle curves, but around corners on wing edges I cut darts in the overlap to get them to lay down. They don't seem to shrink like tissue on a stick model, but there must be a bit of it as they look smoother once cured than when laid down. Certainly not enough to warp the wing in my experience. Messy, but then I suppose all covering techniques are messy in their own way.
Dec 17, 2013, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Probably was...

The filters add strength in the same way as packing tape, in that they provide a stiffer skin. I use them more for the dent resistance and ability to paint with most anything after the wbpu is cured. They aren't nearly as good as fiberglass, but then I can get 2 hundred of 'em for two bucks!

There is a bit of technique to their use. I brush a coat of wbpu onto the area I want to apply one, then lay the filter on and apply another coat to wet it out. Then there is a bit of wiping with fingertip (gloves or finger cots are a good idea) to smooth out wrinkles and get it smooth. I can lift it up and reposition several times if needed. They will mold to gentle curves, but around corners on wing edges I cut darts in the overlap to get them to lay down. They don't seem to shrink like tissue on a stick model, but there must be a bit of it as they look smoother once cured than when laid down. Certainly not enough to warp the wing in my experience. Messy, but then I suppose all covering techniques are messy in their own way.
Thanks for the information I looked at one it looks a lot like silkspan. Silkspan is great for covering, but besides being hard to find it is also very expensive compared to what it use to cost also silkspan can warp the wng. I'm going to try the coffee filters on my next build.

THANKS
Dec 17, 2013, 06:32 PM
low tech high tech
Wow, really great looking little plane Springer!
Dec 17, 2013, 06:37 PM
low tech high tech
I was just thinking about making skis for the Shoestring since we're still getting snow dumped on us here after 2 days of it, probably 18" by now. -8 F last night.

Did you cover the skis with filters?