Oct 03, 2014, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen73
Doesn't look scale. Glad I bought the H9 version
I don't think it's that far off, it does say stand off scale. The 50/50 rule comes into play. Fifty feet away at 50mph it looks like a P-47.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2014, 07:57 PM
Full scale or 1/8 scale
Sigh, so $286 + 9.00 and available in December....
Oct 03, 2014, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Doesn't look scale. Glad I bought the H9 version
It's not thaat bad. They screwed up the fuselage markings on the right side of the airplane, but not bad for the money. I like the 50/50 rule.

Youtube video of this exact plane.
Republic P-47 Thunderbolt 'Snafu' (10 min 29 sec)
Last edited by Olearsenewbie; Oct 03, 2014 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Add video link
Oct 04, 2014, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olearsenewbie
It's not thaat bad. They screwed up the fuselage markings on the right side of the airplane, but not bad for the money. I like the 50/50 rule.

Youtube video of this exact plane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXPytatsWgI
It's a personal and subjective thing I guess, but as a scale nut the right shape and proportions are important to me, and this doesn't seem right.

Great value for money though and let's hope it flies as good as other Jugs.
Oct 04, 2014, 12:42 PM
Quote:
It's a personal and subjective thing I guess, but as a scale nut the right shape and proportions are important to me, and this doesn't seem right.

Great value for money though and let's hope it flies as good as other Jugs.
I think that statement says it all. I can live with a close representation of a subject as long as it flies well. I would be thrilled to have an exact scale replica that flew as well as it looked. Usually exact scale warbirds are tougher to fly. In this hobby I'd rather have a plane that flies well so I can enjoy flying it! Like Stephen 73 said it is a personal preference, that's what makes everyone an individual and keeps life interesting. I love looking at some of the detailed out planes, but would never try to go to that extreme, that's just me.
Oct 04, 2014, 12:57 PM
Thread OP
I think for the money it's a good deal. Like u mentioned earlier the weight seems perfect at or under 10lbs. Seagull makes good planes I think, I have their christen husky and it's fantastic. Only gripe with Seagull is the manuals are terrible. But if you've put together an ARF before it's not that bad.
Oct 04, 2014, 01:03 PM
Almost all the arf manuals except for GP and TF have a lot to be desired in my opinion. Even the two I mentioned have problems. But like you said if you have put a few ARFs together everything works out. I should have included Hangar 9s manuals also, they are as good or equal to the other two I mentioned.
Last edited by handyman 220; Oct 09, 2014 at 07:27 PM.
Oct 07, 2014, 03:40 AM
I really enjoy Thunderbolts and I think they made a pretty good one to be a semi scale model. TF are way off, H9 is a little better but not good at all for a expensive kit...

Anyone which has this kit and have been looking into the retracts? I do plan this as a winterplane and I am planning a conversion to electric retracts. Servo driven retracts has for me never been a succsess....
Oct 09, 2014, 09:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by affas
I really enjoy Thunderbolts and I think they made a pretty good one to be a semi scale model. TF are way off, H9 is a little better but not good at all for a expensive kit...

Anyone which has this kit and have been looking into the retracts? I do plan this as a winterplane and I am planning a conversion to electric retracts. Servo driven retracts has for me never been a succsess....
Yeah this plane with a set of FMS 1700mm all metal retracts would be perfect
Oct 10, 2014, 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncflyer79
Yeah this plane with a set of FMS 1700mm all metal retracts would be perfect
That's a great idea ncflyer79. I have a set of those and did not even think about using them. I have had pretty good luck with mechanical retracts, but electric are so much easier to install.
Nov 21, 2014, 04:38 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Yes, and how do these Seagull models fly?
Nov 21, 2014, 04:49 PM
P-47 isn't due until dec. no flight reports yet.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM
I have the Seagull Sea Fury and it is a joy to fly. I installed all fms gear from the 1700mm Mustang except the esc. Seagull make a fine model for the price. Some scale mods are always the price you pay for an affordable ARF, If it flies at all like my Sea Fury it is a winner.

Seagull models Sea Fury electric conversion Royal Australian Navy scheme (4 min 47 sec)
Dec 03, 2014, 07:03 AM
Buy em , Break em,Buy em ect
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM
I have this plane, and it fly's like its on rails , the wheels are cheap foam things and the retracts work well but take a bit of mucking around to set up ( these will fit )https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...unt_2pcs_.html
The dummy engine is a bit flimsy but I can't fault the rest, it fly's as good as my Phoenix bubble top and looks great in the air.
I run it electric with an OS 520 - 490 on 6's with a 15x10 apc , 70 a esc, has plenty.
Dec 03, 2014, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittso
I have this plane, and it fly's like its on rails , the wheels are cheap foam things and the retracts work well but take a bit of mucking around to set up ( these will fit )https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...unt_2pcs_.html
The dummy engine is a bit flimsy but I can't fault the rest, it fly's as good as my Phoenix bubble top and looks great in the air.
I run it electric with an OS 520 - 490 on 6's with a 15x10 apc , 70 a esc, has plenty.
Heckuva setup. You gotta be pulling close to 70A on a fully charged battery (static).

Quick Reply