Feb 04, 2021, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwwcp
Well what kind of servos are people using? mini size I am assuming.
The real reason is going electric and using a sound system because I have a motor, servos ,esc and a benedini sound system laying around. That adds weight. Really this seagull models arf is lighter than the comparable hangar 9 or Phoenix. The extreme flight aces high P47 is much lighter, but $100 more.
So yeah, I get what your saying, it does not "need" to be lighter, but I never just build an ARF. I always lighten them up one way or another.

I belong to a field with a 650' x 80' grass runway. Might need slightly bigger wheels. Are most people using the provided mechanical retracts? They look pretty strong.
And slightly racked forward
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2021, 03:10 PM
Anyone using a Saito FG21 on this plane?
Feb 27, 2021, 09:08 PM
So reading the first 14 pages of this thread was enough to convince me to order the plane to serve as the home to a power 60 470k. Spent months trying to decide to go with this vs the new H9 version that is out of stock. Ordered the HK plastic with metal trunion for 5mm strut so I can use the OEM. Should be here in a week...hope I made the right choice
Feb 28, 2021, 01:40 AM
P-47 and Luftwaffe fanatic
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair44
So reading the first 14 pages of this thread was enough to convince me to order the plane to serve as the home to a power 60 470k. Spent months trying to decide to go with this vs the new H9 version that is out of stock. Ordered the HK plastic with metal trunion for 5mm strut so I can use the OEM. Should be here in a week...hope I made the right choice
You made a good choice! This and the Hangar 9 model both are excellent flyers. It really comes down to which scheme you like better.
Mar 01, 2021, 11:51 PM
So Sig reached out today...back ordered until May. Wish they would not say "in stock" on their website when they are OUT OF STOCK.
Mar 02, 2021, 11:13 AM
Arrowhead
Try Legend Hobbies or Gator RC. Both carry Seagull, and had a container arrive a few weeks ago.
Mar 03, 2021, 12:48 AM
Thanks...they are both pre selling planes from the next container that wont arrive until May (maybe)
Jun 23, 2021, 08:57 PM
flyin' Dude
Hey guys, long time away for the forums... I had one of these go in a couple years ago and always had it in mind to get another. So I finally pulled the trigger and just received my new one from Legend. Looks good and was so glad to see they no longer put the decals on at the factory so I don’t have to rip everything off the right side to make it right. Will go back with the DLE20 I used previously and I still have all my notes on setup. Will probably go with the Eflite 85 deg retracts this time though the mechanical ones are very stout (not as pleased with the struts - any recommendations?). I’m running the Eflite 90 deg retracts on a P51 and they’re holding up well.
Jun 24, 2021, 12:42 PM
flyin' Dude
another pleasant surprise with the new ARF: the gear struts are much more stout! 3mm larger in diameter top and bottom. And thicker walls on the top part so the slots won't deform as easily. The pin is also thicker at 5.6mm (7/32") instead of 5.0mm and is a very tight fit. The mechanical retracts seem identical except for the larger hole for the fatter pins. May have to give them a try.
Jul 03, 2021, 11:33 AM
Just started to build this P47 and installing a dle20ra. Would like to see what other people did for cowling exit cut outs. The cowl flaps are providing several inches of exit area. Was thinking a 1.5 x 3 inch cut out around exhaust pipes would be enough exit air. What's your thoughts.......

Mike
Last edited by hobbies; Jul 03, 2021 at 08:12 PM.
Jul 08, 2021, 10:41 PM
flyin' Dude
Not really an answer but here is what I did with the dle20 side exhaust. I’m building another as I write this and doing it the same way again. I like hiding the jet access holes on the bottom. The RA should work but be advised the the engine bay is too short for dle20 without some firewall surgery. Otherwise you’ll have a big prop gap. You’ll have to check and see if the rear muffler will clear. I posted lots of pics a couple years ago on how I did it. I still have most of the pics if you can’t find them.

P.S. you are correct the cowl flap exits do work well.
Jul 08, 2021, 11:04 PM
flyin' Dude
Oh, while I’m here, I’ve been looking for a better looking fake radial and found this one at park flyer plastics. Here’s a pic comparing the kit version with the park flyer plastics version. Painted. New one sitting on a cardboard template for a plywood mounting plate. Of course the R2800 was 9 cyl, 2 rows so the kit version is all wrong in many ways. you can 3D print one with even more detail but you’d have to cut the front off and loose the mags so I decided against that.

Edit: photos not working. Will post later when possible.
Jul 09, 2021, 12:21 PM
flyin' Dude
ok photos are working again for me. here's the pic comparing the kit engine with the Park Flyer Plastics version.
Jul 10, 2021, 11:38 AM
Yes i had to follow your instructions on cutting into firewall for the proper gap. Your pics and description for engine installation was a great help.

Just received retract servos and starting on wings. Going to use kit retracts and bigger tires 3.75 or 4.0 because flying off grass runway.

Looking for paint that will match green I read about model masters but they are no longer in business.

So keep updating and helping others since you have built and flown this kit.

Thanks

Mike
Jul 11, 2021, 12:35 PM
flyin' Dude
Mike (and anyone else following), I keep finding more changes to the new kit, mostly for the better. So it really depends on the version one has as to what you need to do. Measure everything!

I just got around to measuring my new cowl and it is 7" deep to the lip, whereas my first one was 6.75" (6mm longer!). So I may not need to do any surgery to the firewall. Also, the new gear doors are much thinner plywood, which means they should sit flush to the wing. I ended up getting the EFL 85* retracts because Amazon had a new set with damaged packaging for $80. They work fine but the box was all messed up. So then I sprung for the EFL P47 struts which are awesome! By far the nicest struts I have run across for this size model - the oleos are like butter.

As for paint, I can't find model masters either. I bought some Tamiya TS-5 OD which is a little darker. I painted the bombs with it. Tamiya has 2 other ODGs so maybe the middle shade will match better. Speaking of the bombs, they are different, too. The fins are stronger but have an "X" cross brace on the back which I don't like. I may just use them for static display.

Phil

Quick Reply