This thread is privately moderated by leadfeather, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 04, 2019, 01:03 AM
Gaftopher
That APT has been around for a couple of years, Pixhawk in it
Feb 04, 2019, 07:34 AM

Autonomous Pod Transport

Bell Autonomous Pod Transport (APT20) (2 min 21 sec)

Another promo video
Feb 05, 2019, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchbuildrc
I mean motor mounts are fixed with screws on an unmoving piece of material. The rotator is a dynamic connection which means it's inherently less strong, and also reliant upon the strength of the servo motor to hold it in place.
You do realize that, as you describe it there, it's just friction holding a fixed motor to the airframe...?
Feb 05, 2019, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_RR
You do realize that, as you describe it there, it's just friction holding a fixed motor to the airframe...?
...Yes, but its not just like a sticky pad. There are specific mechanisms that are resisting the specific forces of the motor that would pull it loose.
Apr 14, 2019, 11:20 AM
Mini Talon semi reversed !

Attachment 11949295

https://www.dronevolt.com/fr/solutions/heliplane/
Apr 23, 2019, 05:00 PM
Cool to find this page to understand more about VTOL.
This will be the future?

Ming Lou
Apr 24, 2019, 02:44 AM
Probably question had to be asked when thread started, 6 years ago...
If something is not mainstream in 6 years, but still stir interest, then it's a niche product.
May 18, 2019, 09:00 AM
looks like they finally got a the lillium to hover.
The Lilium Jet five seater all-electric air taxi (2 min 49 sec)

interesting. it only shows an extremely brief hover.
-beanie
May 18, 2019, 05:03 PM
I'm betting that hovering a Lilium costs a load of power so ground effect only will be demonstrated for some time to come. It will probably have to accelerate in ground effect to generate wing lift before it can do anything useful.
May 18, 2019, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanie
looks like they finally got a the lillium to hover.
https://youtu.be/8qotuu8JjQM
interesting. it only shows an extremely brief hover.
-beanie
I wonder how many of them realize how hopeless their design is, and how many of them are just assuming that their engineers know what they are doing.

The only thing they are burning faster than batteries is money.
May 19, 2019, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran D. St. Clair
I wonder how many of them realize how hopeless their design is, and how many of them are just assuming that their engineers know what they are doing.

The only thing they are burning faster than batteries is money.
Why is it hopeless?? Seems like a great concept to me. I can’t imagine they would invest so much money into a machine that is so horrible not to mention even make a second version. The v1 did fly out of ground effect with a similar but smaller configuration.
May 19, 2019, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Why is it hopeless?? ...
because

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_RR
...a Lilium costs a load of power...
May 19, 2019, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt
because
I mean from an outside view looking at those motors as EDFs yes that makes sense, but I can't imagine they haven't thought about that... It is the most obvious consideration when thinking about using EDFs, which leads me to think that they are doing something or have something in mind that we are not seeing or thinking of....
May 19, 2019, 12:18 PM
Quote:
...It is the most obvious consideration when thinking about using EDFs,...
Not unlike RC, most people think carbon fiber and lithium batteries will magically give us enough flight time so we only have to calculate the thrust we need.

They will learn from it though. I used to think the same thing until I built enough VTOL's to find out how it really is.

I'm curious how loud it is also? I'd like to see a video that doesn't have its sound cut out.
Last edited by RCvertt; May 19, 2019 at 12:39 PM.

Quick Reply