This thread is privately moderated by leadfeather, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 25, 2017, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6stringer
I love the idea of the contest, and I'm in!

Not because I want the trophy but the idea of the thread working together and fostering creativity sounds like a good ol time!
That's what I'm in it for mostly just interested in seeing novel designs and better applications of existing designs

For price stuff, how would things like foam/3d printed parts factor in? Foam at least is cheap so you could just say 1 sheet of foam. 3d printed parts can get more expensive. Like including the price of 1 roll if pla when you only used 1/100th of the roll to print a motor tilt, it shouldn't cost $23. I'm game for whatever rules, I just like building things under 250g because I don't want to register yet
to remove ads between posts
Apr 25, 2017, 01:40 PM
Winging it >
Thread OP
How about two categories to compete in:

Category A) Less than 250 grams, longest flight

Category B) duration/weight/cost x 100

example 1) 260 gram VTOL, 600 seconds flight time, cost $45; 600/260/45 x 100 = 5.12

example 2) 900 gram VTOL, 3,600 seconds flight time, cost $99; 3600/900/99 x 100 = 4.04

example 1) has the higher score and would win category B
Apr 25, 2017, 01:59 PM
**two thumbs up**
Apr 25, 2017, 02:03 PM
I'm down for that. Though considering we probably won't have too many entrants I think it's reasonable to just do the group b rules. What are thoughts on not including non essential items in cost. Fpv gear for example, just because I'd prefer to fly for 30min with fpv then I would without. It would only subtract from flight time, but the same craft could be built without the camera and video transmitter. Thoughts
Apr 25, 2017, 04:03 PM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmtree
I'm down for that. Though considering we probably won't have too many entrants I think it's reasonable to just do the group b rules. What are thoughts on not including non essential items in cost. Fpv gear for example, just because I'd prefer to fly for 30min with fpv then I would without. It would only subtract from flight time, but the same craft could be built without the camera and video transmitter. Thoughts
Seems like a reasonable request to me. You're sacrificing flight time for the sake of enjoying the flight more.
Apr 25, 2017, 04:26 PM
For essential electronics and motors I would tend to use "commodity" type prices. And don't include non essential items like FPV or LRS.

Not sure how to value custom plastic/wood/foam parts. I build most of my stuff, it's nothing special and I usually just get the material from a local lumber outlet. I guess just look for something similar that's available and use that as it's value.

250 gram and open sound good. Formula seem reasonable. Maybe a factor for payload capacity?

But most important have fun!
Apr 25, 2017, 07:16 PM
Aurora flight Sciences has published video of their "Urban Air Taxi" concept that they did for Uber. I know the folks that designed it and they are serious professionals. The RC model shown is obviously an early prototype.

Aurora Flight Sciences' Electric VTOL Aircraft (3 min 20 sec)
Apr 25, 2017, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonFreeman
For essential electronics and motors I would tend to use "commodity" type prices. And don't include non essential items like FPV or LRS.

Not sure how to value custom plastic/wood/foam parts. I build most of my stuff, it's nothing special and I usually just get the material from a local lumber outlet. I guess just look for something similar that's available and use that as it's value.

250 gram and open sound good. Formula seem reasonable. Maybe a factor for payload capacity?

But most important have fun!
Payload capacity can be more battery!

I think just having some fun making a VTOL for a specific task is fun. In this case my task is getting a good view from the sky for as long as possible. Taking off vertically is a nice addition of course
Apr 25, 2017, 11:13 PM
Aka "DiveBomb"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran D. St. Clair
Aurora flight Sciences has published video of their "Urban Air Taxi" concept that they did for Uber. I know the folks that designed it and they are serious professionals. The RC model shown is obviously an early prototype.

https://youtu.be/BSFVvhQP7ws
I like the inline octo design.
Apr 25, 2017, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmtree
Payload capacity can be more battery!

I think just having some fun making a VTOL for a specific task is fun. In this case my task is getting a good view from the sky for as long as possible. Taking off vertically is a nice addition of course
deleted
Last edited by p901P901; Apr 25, 2017 at 11:28 PM.
Apr 25, 2017, 11:16 PM
Aka "DiveBomb"
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
How about two categories to compete in:

Category A) Less than 250 grams, longest flight

Category B) duration/weight/cost x 100

example 1) 260 gram VTOL, 600 seconds flight time, cost $45; 600/260/45 x 100 = 5.12

example 2) 900 gram VTOL, 3,600 seconds flight time, cost $99; 3600/900/99 x 100 = 4.04

example 1) has the higher score and would win category B
I like the formula that gives many ways to make the "best" design. Anyone can start with a concept and play with the 3 variables to get the most out of it.
Apr 26, 2017, 07:34 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP
This morning; as I'm sipping my first coffee; I'm going over some of the ideas already posted on this thread in light of flight duration. I shed the competition restrictions for a moment and brainstormed a bit. I started thinking about buoyancy assisted flight. I started to imagine something like a para-glider canopy filled with helium. The whole craft is only little heavier than air. Could be a good duration concept ... maybe not so good for windy day flying.

For a man carrying VTOL, twin side by side fans rotate to provide extra lift needed for take off, then pivot to provide thrust for forward flight. The buoyant canopy adds stability for vertical take off and landing. Or maybe I need another cup of coffee.
Apr 26, 2017, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Or maybe I need another cup of coffee.
And put something a bit stiffer than creamer in it
No way I would want to fly in something filled with gas and rely on it to keep me flying ,,,especially with the wind we get here in MI off the lake
Apr 26, 2017, 07:52 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Check this out. Human powered dirigible called the Zeppy. Attempted to fly across the English Channel but stopped the attempt due to shift in winds. The part that impressed me is that he was aloft for 5 hours ... on human power. Story here.
Apr 26, 2017, 08:00 AM
That is pretty amazing, and to be only 11 miles away from your goal

Quick Reply