Thanks for posting the Pic.
Wollie
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2014, 05:44 AM
It's all in the Blades!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz
As this is a non scale model it is up to the builder to decide the amount of details that can be added.

Chris,
Nice work on the engine mate

I agree with your comments, this model is just a basic platform that is calling out for builders to go their own way and make their Mantis 'their own' so to speak.
Hopefully I will go out and test fly mine this afternoon, though, the forecast is not ideal. I need to hook up the rudder and steerable nose wheel then we are good to rock and roll. I have a 3 blades and a new two bladed head to try.

Rich,
I will leave the blue version up to you mate, just give me the nod if you fancy ago?

Rich
Jan 12, 2014, 07:23 AM
Pre-rotate before Take-off
Rich

Can't wait to hear what your test flight went like. Hope the weather is better than you thought and that the camera girl "Debs" will once again be catching this event on on video.
Good luck.

Wollie
Jan 12, 2014, 04:02 PM
It's all in the Blades!
Thread OP
I met up with Steve this afternoon and it was cold!!....we maidened his RPG first then had a go with the Mantis.
Unfortunately I only managed one long hop as it was on the limit of power and I didn't want to risk a circuit.
After I landed I couldn't taxi back, on inspection and due to my haste in getting it ready I had got the nose wheel steering the wrong way around! This was turned around and I over tightened a collet stripping the thread! bugger!! I was going to try again with a different prop but my hands were that cold I whimped out!!

I think I may well need a higher KV motor so I will have a gander on the net in the warm!

A photo of our models together.

Rich
Jan 12, 2014, 04:55 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
A very nice gaggle of AG's there!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Jan 12, 2014, 06:07 PM
Rich.
I cant see a stab on your model ?..and it looks like a three blader...I didn't bother with a steerable nose wheel,, I went as per Revolver...and it steers OK, Cold weather...It will be 41 c at my place today.
Chris..
Jan 12, 2014, 06:37 PM
It's all in the Blades!
Thread OP
Chris,
Who needs a horizontal stab, it is just for aesthetic reasons...............

OK, I rolled it over and broke it! but I am 99% sure it will fly fine without it as long as I stick with the 2 blades.
I have just been looking at the motor stats and it is OK for 4s , I have a few 1300mah 4s lipos. May just try one of these first but it could all end in smoke!

Rich
Jan 12, 2014, 11:30 PM
Rich
I kind of like the stab.......more to see.....there's not a great deal of airframe to this model.
What size blades would you recommend for a two blade?
Chris..
Last edited by britinoz; Jan 13, 2014 at 07:12 PM.
Jan 13, 2014, 10:12 AM
nja
nja
Hi Rich, you wrote "I am 99% sure it will fly fine without it as long as I stick with the 2 blades", This got my curiosity up, how is the model affected by the lack of a horizontal stabilizer depending on a 2 or 3 blade setup?

I haven't read much about this so I am just curious, any information would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
Nils
Jan 13, 2014, 01:46 PM
It's all in the Blades!
Thread OP
Hi Nils,

Because the thrust line of my motor is about 10mm above my CG position it would have a tendancy to nose down under power making it pitch/power sensitive.
Adding a horizontal stab dampens this effect, remove it and the only thing that can now stop the model rotating nose forwards as power is applied are the rotors. Sticking with my 2 blades will keep this reaction force there as there is plenty of drag.
The more the thrust line is raised the harder this is to achieve, as in the air the blades are not spinning at a constant speed but loading and off loading depending on speed,wind,turning etc.
If that makes sense?

Of course, in an ideal world the thrust-line would be just a tad above the CG but we know that sometimes this is hard to achieve. Hence why we 'cheat' and add a horizontal tailplane.
An autogyro with just a fin will handle the wind far better as if there are any up drafts they will not be pushing the stab up and down. A fin only autogyro will fly in high winds and just sit there.

Rich
Jan 13, 2014, 03:45 PM
nja
nja
Hi Rich, Thank you for sharing that, I had no idea what would happen and how the horizontal stab works with these gyros. I think I need to do some experimental setups with out one, it sure would make building a bit simpler with less parts.

Thanks again, I like your Mantis design and as always following your threads.

Nils
Jan 15, 2014, 06:00 PM
It's all in the Blades!
Thread OP
OK ...no2 Mantis airframe has now been completed and a coat of paint added....I managed to scrounge an old blind today, thought it may work as a background for photos.

Rich
Jan 15, 2014, 06:02 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Looks good Rich!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Jan 16, 2014, 10:39 AM
Hi Rich.
Ek wag vir daai plan om klaar te kom.
Groete.
Martin
Jan 16, 2014, 10:56 AM
Are there going to be any plans in near future?
regards Jeff

Quick Reply