Jul 29, 2019, 04:43 PM
It's all in the Blades!
Thread OP
I am starting to get a little time in the shed with my little helper ( she has a habit of pinching wood and pilots!)
I found my unfinished yellow Mantis airframe and decided to have a 'play'.
It did start out as a normal version but has kind of 'evolved into a tailess 2 blader that is flying pretty well at the moment.
It has had at least 5 rebuilds and is considerably stronger ( and heavier!) than in its original format, kind of like triggers broom.

Here's a video I took last Sunday, a few more tweaks here and there and I will be happy with. It is fun to fly and does a great spin, I just haven't got the bottle to open the throttle fully with full rudder deflection.

Rc autogyro, tailess 2 bladed Mantis test. (3 min 47 sec)

Rich
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2019, 04:47 PM
It's all in the Blades!
Thread OP
Forgot, not everyone would of heard the saying 'triggers broom' off a sitcom over this side of the pond.

Trigger's Broom (1 min 20 sec)
Jul 29, 2019, 08:58 PM
Oh yes...way to go...
Aug 27, 2019, 06:13 AM
So I took Rich's advise and removed the horizontal stab from my trusty old Mantis.
That's 112 flights that have been digitally recorded on this model and filmed using my new space age tracking system. (they are always smiling at me ?)
Aug 27, 2019, 06:14 AM
Test flight of "tail less" Mantis (5 min 23 sec)
Aug 27, 2019, 06:22 AM
Great flight Chris I need to try that with my printed Mantis.
Joe
Aug 27, 2019, 07:05 AM
It's all in the Blades!
Thread OP
Excellent Chris,

It may be pitchy if your thrust line out with the CG, get it as close as you can or just a bit above.

One trick I like doing with mine is a spin. If you take it right up, pull back on the rotors and apply full left rudder with some power it should spin. More power will increase the spin speed and recovery is almost instant if you let go of the sticks, the more rudder throw the better.
Spins better on 3 blades than 2, almost catches up with the rotational speed with 2 blades!

Good fun

Rich
Aug 27, 2019, 04:16 PM
Couldn't find the post about 'de-tailing' my Spyro but never looked a back :-

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=608

By coincidence I took the head off of my Spyro yesterday and put it onto my Banggood Lubo.

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Aug 27, 2019, 07:01 PM
yes Rich I do believe that my thrust is a tad low and think it's about time that I made a new model. Lets face it ..there's not a great deal involved.This one has had a pretty good run and taken a couple of pretty hard hits .I think it has survived so well because of it's "minimal" construction allowing a considerable amount of flexing at times of heavy contact. All the electrics and head parts will swop over.I just may move the U/C a little forward a bit .
After watching the video I only noticed how much that I was rambling.I did not knowingly give a running commentary ....it's just that a think out loud.

Paul.
I remember that video of yours as I thought that you did a good job of taking off on a cricket pitch...bit I never noticed that it was tail less

Chris...
Aug 29, 2019, 07:09 PM
Rich
Tried the spin yesterday...but all I got was a 180 snap and dive ...most impressive.But after reading your instructions again.I see that I cut the power when applying rudder....and your advise was to keep some power on....will try again.
Chris...
Aug 30, 2019, 04:46 PM
it is possible mantis is the prototype of the revolver 2
Last edited by romulien; Sep 03, 2019 at 06:50 PM.
Aug 31, 2019, 04:57 PM
It's all in the Blades!
Thread OP
Paul,

Don't remember seeing that Spyro flight before, goes well.

Revolver gets it's genes from the Spyro in the way that it is constructed, Mantis is a far more simple design.

Rich
Sep 15, 2019, 10:50 AM
Here’s my Mantis just cruising at our strip today. A great flyer in calmer winds. Thanks to club mate Ray for the pics.

Quick Reply