Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW
new board STorM32 BGC v1.2 released
hardware supports now also Spektrum and Futaba S-bus
Just happy if it will work with my Taranis
Feb 09, 2014, 12:03 AM
Hi all

I got this board 3 days ago, after waiting for almost a month lol
Then after soldered all the pins, and placing it on my "homemade" gimbal.. here is the result..

Testing storm32 bgc (1 min 22 sec)

Im using rctimer 5010/150t for the pitch, 5208/180t for the roll and yaw..
The battery, 3S.

As you can see, i changed 3 different modes.
1. Auto yaw, pitch and roll lock
2. All axis locked
3. Auto yaw and pitch
Its all done with 2 tactile switches which was extremely easy to place

Well i havent record something "real", maybe in the next few days i will post the videos..

Thanks for watching
And thanks Olli, this is great..

Regards
Erick
Last edited by erickwesz; Feb 11, 2014 at 01:19 AM.
Feb 09, 2014, 08:35 AM
What size motors can this controller take?

Can it take something as big as the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K?

That is 1.7 kg for the camera alone.
Feb 09, 2014, 09:04 AM
When a commercial version will become available?
Feb 09, 2014, 09:56 AM
Ordered my boards now to order the components, hoping DigiKey has it all.
Feb 09, 2014, 10:02 AM
OlliW
Thread OP
Quote:
What size motors can this controller take?
well, I can't say much more than before, there are not enough testers and results out there and experience is hence limited... I would think however that Erick's great results are very encouraging

IMHO the question is actually not well posed. It should be rather "what max currents and voltage can this controller take?". The point is, the motor can be as large as you want and produce as much torque as you want, as long as the resistance is such that the current flow at the given voltage is not too large. I've spend some time to research a bit the different motors lately, and - at least if the resistance values given on the web pages are correct - you can't say that a larger motor also means larger currents (or lower resistance, respectively). E.g. there are 2000 size motors with resistance of 10 Ohm, while there are also 5000 size motors with resistance of 17 Ohm or more...

(Erick's motors have 15 Ohm and 17 Ohm)

The experience so far indicates that motors with 15 Ohm or more are no problem for the board.
For the voltage the limits are known, max 18V, i.e. 4S.

So, if you're happy with 4S and your whatever-sized motors have resistance of 15 Ohm or more, you shouldn't have any problem balancing your 1.7 kg camera.

Anyway, let me repeat: This board has not be designed with high-current applications in mind. However, the board is open source and the electronic scheme hence public, so anyone can design her/his own board, and if she/he wants with current capabilities of 70A like some AlexMos boards (LOL)

Quote:
When a commercial version will become available?
I honestly can't tell. As stated before I myself don't have a financial interest in here, so commercializing it is up to whoever wants to do that. A couple of folks had contacted me about this, but I of course don't know how serious they are. One person seems to be really determined, but it's totally his decission if and when and how and what the price will be. We are in contact and I share information, but I'm not going to interfer with his decissions (I mean, he would take all the risks, not me LOL)

Quote:
order the components, hoping DigiKey has it all.
if you post the digikey parts numbers before you order, I'd look it over and confirm/correct it
Feb 09, 2014, 10:19 AM
Flying Wood For Fun
my new imu/mpu came yesterday when I get home will start doing testing again
Feb 09, 2014, 11:52 AM
I ended up going to Newark for components, haven't finalized the ordered yet so here it is in zipped format if you want to check it.

I was wondering if there would be enough people interested in doing a group buy if we could find a place that would assemble the boards? I just don't know how many would need to be interested so it would be worthwhile. Anyone with experience in getting populated boards ordered would be very helpful here.
Feb 09, 2014, 12:10 PM
OlliW
Thread OP
ähm... what would be the best way to look at a csv file?
(ASCII editor and Excel show something, but the content isn't really easy to digest )

BTW: I should adapt the electronic scheme and BOM: resistor R11 should be 1.5k instead of 2.2k (thanks ala42!)
(and I might change R1 to 10k, its value is really not very relevant, 10k makes it just easier for those who buy the parts themselves as this reduces the number of differnt R values one has to buy)

I don't have any experience with buying assembled boards.
Feb 09, 2014, 12:24 PM
I did a very quick look at Seeed Studio and very roughly to assemble 100 boards would cost about $19.00 plus components. So if there were 100 people wanting to do this it's actually not too bad, but I think it could be a bit of a
cowboys herding cats (1 min 7 sec)
situation.
Feb 09, 2014, 12:51 PM
OlliW
Thread OP
as regards your csv, I did it now the old fashioned way

some improvements are possible (I have not looked at the resistors and all the small capacitors)
in that cases I give the hbe/farnell order numbers, not sure how they relate to Newark (though both are element 14)

items 1-8: OK
item 9: incorrect, should be: Art. 1349646, NXP, 1PS76SB40, DIODE SCHOTTKY,SOD323
items 10-13: OK
items 14-21: not checked
item 22: not sure, I'll know it as 1206 size, see Art. 1770137, BOURNS, CAY16-103J4LF, WIDERSTANDSARRAY, 1206, 10K
item 23: OK (maybe you'll find one with a lower ESR, mine are 2.1 Ohm)
item 24: OK, but maybe get some with 50V
item 25: probably OK, mine are NPO
item 26: puh ESR 1.2Ohm, that's bad: Art. 1672609, AVX, TRJC336K020R0300, KONDENSATOR, 33UF, 20V, BAUF. C
items 27-28: not checked
item 29: hm... doesn't look right... it should have 4 wings, and two little nops on the bottom (open the data sheet, its more like the longer version shown there)
items 30-34: OK

I'm missing the 10uf/6.3V tantal

if you buy the parts but don't get them assembled, I wouldn't buy the MPU6050, I find it hard to solder, and, 14$ is ugly expensive (aliexpress is something like 2-3$, I think)... you'll be better off by buying a second MPU module and pluging it to the I2C#2 port (this on-board MPU makes sense "only" for comerzializing it, i.e., with cheap sources)
Last edited by OlliW; Feb 09, 2014 at 01:03 PM.
Feb 09, 2014, 03:38 PM
OlliW
Thread OP
v1.2 rev1 posted, sole change: value of R11 changed to 1.5k

Quick Reply