May 20, 2019, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiosk
What voltage using?

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk

I'm using a LiPo 3S 2500mAh.
I also tested connecting a 15v50a adjustable bench power supply and did not solve... =(
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2019, 01:26 PM
I2C not the best but I still have one that works, make sure I2C cable has 2 ferrite rings, make sure turn off second IMU (internal one on the board) off for setup and am assuming you have calibrated the sensor properly

May 21, 2019, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiosk
I2C not the best but I still have one that works, make sure I2C cable has 2 ferrite rings, make sure turn off second IMU (internal one on the board) off for setup and am assuming you have calibrated the sensor properly

I calibrated the IMUs carefully, I also made the config with imu onboard disable and two weeks ago I ordered two NT IMUs that are on the way ...

Do you really think the problem is in IMU, even with the "storm32 + imu I2c" set running perfectly on a gimbal with different engines?

Do you think it has any chance of being incompatible with the brushless motors I use, since this model is used in quadricopters?
May 21, 2019, 05:16 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by colella
I calibrated the IMUs carefully, I also made the config with imu onboard disable and two weeks ago I ordered two NT IMUs that are on the way ...

Do you really think the problem is in IMU, even with the "storm32 + imu I2c" set running perfectly on a gimbal with different engines?

Do you think it has any chance of being incompatible with the brushless motors I use, since this model is used in quadricopters?
No gimbal motor can be used in quadcopters or vice versa. The rotational speed is entirely different. Gimbal motors are like 100kv when quad motors might be 1000kv or 10x as much. 2804 160t motors would never be used in a quadcopter.
Latest blog entry: UC4H: Gimbal flight test
May 21, 2019, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_kelly
No gimbal motor can be used in quadcopters or vice versa. The rotational speed is entirely different. Gimbal motors are like 100kv when quad motors might be 1000kv or 10x as much. 2804 160t motors would never be used in a quadcopter.
mike_kelly, that's exactly what I suspected and looked for a confirmation ...

I did not find anything on the web explaining details about it ... When I started doing the gimbal and read about Storm32, I believed it would work with any type of brushless engine since it was supported by the controller drivers ... I believed the engines of my old retired quadricopter would work as a gimbal, but apparently does not work.

If you know of any website that explains the differences of the brushless motors and can share with us would be great!

Thanks for your help!
May 21, 2019, 09:35 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
mike_kelly, that's exactly what I suspected and looked for a confirmation ...

I did not find anything on the web explaining details about it ... When I started doing the gimbal and read about Storm32, I believed it would work with any type of brushless engine since it was supported by the controller drivers ... I believed the engines of my old retired quadricopter would work as a gimbal, but apparently does not work.

If you know of any website that explains the differences of the brushless motors and can share with us would be great!

Thanks for your help!
It is actual simple. The gimbal motors need to rotate quick but over a very limited rotational distance. They are not rotating at 8000 rpm like a multirotor motor. So you can tell by the kv rating. KV means that for every volt of battery power you apply to a motor it will turn V*KV or for 12v battery a 500kv motor will turn 6000rpm. Typical gimbal motors are 100turn motors that move at a few rpm.
May 22, 2019, 12:08 AM
OlliW
Thread OP
it's even simpler to distinguish them: if you buy them and they are called "gimbal motor" then they're suitable for a gimbal, if they're not called "gimbal motor" then not
it's also simple to test, if the resistance is above ca 4 Ohms for TSTorm32 and above ca 10 Ohms for regular STorM32 then they re ok
the resistance requirements are actually mentioned in the storm32 wiki
May 22, 2019, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_kelly
It is actual simple. The gimbal motors need to rotate quick but over a very limited rotational distance. They are not rotating at 8000 rpm like a multirotor motor. So you can tell by the kv rating. KV means that for every volt of battery power you apply to a motor it will turn V*KV or for 12v battery a 500kv motor will turn 6000rpm. Typical gimbal motors are 100turn motors that move at a few rpm.
Perfect! Now that you've explained, it's become really simple, great lesson!

Since I will have to buy new engines, I need to understand about the "T" rating of Brushless motors for gimbal ... can you explain if you know? For example, what is the difference between a 5208-150T and a 5208-200T?

Thanks again!
May 22, 2019, 10:17 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Perfect! Now that you've explained, it's become really simple, great lesson!

Since I will have to buy new engines, I need to understand about the "T" rating of Brushless motors for gimbal ... can you explain if you know? For example, what is the difference between a 5208-150T and a 5208-200T?

Thanks again!
Basically we are not concerned about kv with gimbal motors. They are very different than normal motors. With a normal motor we are concerned about the rpm the motor will run at with different batteries. But gimbal motors will never even rotate all the way around one rotation. So with gimbal motors we are concerned about the resistance primarily because we have to match the driver chips ability to provide limited power to the motor. The fine wire used in gimbal motors and the geometry of the stator determine how many turns will fit but it really is not your primary interest. You just need to choose motors that have a resistance that fits the range determined by OlliW's designs. Which he gave you in a previous answer:

"it's also simple to test, if the resistance is above ca 4 Ohms for TSTorm32 and above ca 10 Ohms for regular STorM32 then they re ok
the resistance requirements are actually mentioned in the storm32 wiki "
May 23, 2019, 12:22 PM

Trouble Recognizing IMU

I am having trouble connecting to the IMU of my Storm32 1.32. Once I have flashed the firmware (v2.40 NT) the user interface does not recognize that there is an IMU attached. Thoughts?
May 23, 2019, 12:47 PM
OlliW
Thread OP
http://www.olliw.eu/storm32bgc-wiki/Downloads
May 23, 2019, 04:35 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMA5049
I am having trouble connecting to the IMU of my Storm32 1.32. Once I have flashed the firmware (v2.40 NT) the user interface does not recognize that there is an IMU attached. Thoughts?
What OlliW is telling you is that this thread is for the original STorM32 whith the I2C IMU. The firmware you noted is for the NT serial IMU. So if you indeed have the old I2C IMU you are using the wrong firmware.

"v0.96 Firmware for I2C IMUs

Firmware for STorM32 setups using I2C IMUs, for gimbals such as the HakRC and all gimbals not using a NT IMU.

Latest firmware v0.96 for I2C IMUs:

o323bgc-release-v096-v20160319 [.zip] (9.4MB) "
May 24, 2019, 12:19 AM
Does anyone know where to buy IMUs on their own? My roll gimbal copter has killed 2 already
May 27, 2019, 06:27 PM
Hello
I have a little problem with my storm32 BGC
I realized that the storm32s had to be put on top of the YAM motor. Which is not the case on my gimbal.
So I decided to install a 2nd IMU external to storm32. But once the sensor is soldered the one if not detected by the storm32.
The software tells me: IMU2: none
When I launch the Configure Gimbal Tool, he says to me: IMU2 is not present or not healthy.

I have tested several sensors, but it doesn't change anything.
I also tried to flash the firmware, but again it didn't change anything.

Do you have any idea? Knowing that before adding the external IMU, my gimbal worked pretty well.

Thank you in advance
Alexis
May 30, 2019, 08:12 AM
Anglian

Small gimbal has tiny fluctuations during drone pitch motion

I have a small gimbal using 1807-200kv motors with 2.40 firmware. It work very well except for a tiny dither in the pitch control WHILE the drone is rotating about the pitch axis. Once the drone is no longer rotating forwards or backwards at any angle the dither stops. If I hold the drone and slowly rotate it forward 30 or 40 degrees while watching the video feed I can see that the fluctuations seem to be happening at a regular period. They are quite small but it is enough to show up in the video. I suspect these are happening at the pole spacing of the motor. Thoughts and suggestions please?
Anglian

Quick Reply