Dec 27, 2013, 04:57 PM
OlliW
Thread OP
I've uploaded a new file which includes now also the seeedstudio gerber files explicitely

btw: you will need also a standard USB-TTL adapter, such as a FTDI or CP2102 thing, I usually suspect that folks have this anyway, but just to have it mentioned it
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2013, 07:36 AM
Thanks

I have a FTDI adapter lying around. Worst case scenario is to short RESET and GND pins with a jumper on arduino nano v3. Then I can use it as as FTDI adapter.
Dec 28, 2013, 07:53 AM
If anyone wants to build a second board let me know and I'll buy it. Even a bare board would be great and I will try to populate it myself. I just know additional boards are usually a lot less expensive than getting just one made. Thanks.
Dec 28, 2013, 01:54 PM
@Greg Nuspel I think I'll build more than one board but I'm not sure how my first smd board populating journey will end up. So I can't say "yes I can build one for you.". I'll order 5-10 boards because this is the least amount you can order. If remember correctly it's like $10 for 10 boards. I can send you a bare board for free but it's shipping costs probably will be more than ordering from seedstudio.

@OlliW Did you uploaded files yet? I saw your note on github but can't find the file on project website.
Last edited by AlfaHeliX; Dec 28, 2013 at 01:59 PM.
Dec 28, 2013, 02:23 PM
Wow never seen boards so inexpensive, too bad the stencils aren't inexpensive. I actually built a toaster oven / reflow oven for a project so I can try to use that. Just dab a little solder paste onto each pad and go for it.
Dec 28, 2013, 06:00 PM
hey Olli,
would it be possible to modify your software, to work on the evvgc board? that would it make much easier to test.

Alex
Jan 02, 2014, 12:17 PM
OlliW
Thread OP
@alfahelix: you probably have seen that already by now, you just need to download the latest zip file, the one which ends with xxx-20131227, it has everything included

@alex: well, one certainly could, but there are a couple of good reasons to not do so...

EDIT: I've updated the github repository, as well as the first page
Last edited by OlliW; Jan 04, 2014 at 01:16 PM.
Jan 04, 2014, 03:33 PM
Hi, I just came across youe webpage while looking for some theory on brushless gimbals, and then came across this.

I'm trying to build a commercial (plug and play - anyone can use) 3 axis action camera helmet mountable gimbal just now. - rocksolid-tech.com for details.

http://rocksolid-tech.com/

I've really been focusing on the design (CAD drawings, etc) and spending the last 8 days designing and printing 3d parts.

At the moment I'm using Alex's hardware (latest version with the FET 3rd axis extension), but would love to try yours. I'm based in UK. Perhaps it would be possible to buy one of your latest-1 boards all ready to go from you ?

Would you be interested in collaborating a little on using your board to power 'stubilizer' ?

stu
Jan 05, 2014, 12:16 AM
OlliW
Thread OP
hey Stu
I sure can assemble a v1.1 board for you (as soon as they arrive, and iff the production quality is sufficient)(since I didn't wanted to wait that long I used a board producer which is faster but known to be less good than other producers, so, that's why I'm not sure about the quality )
It will be very interesting to see how it performs, in particular as you can directly compare to the leading (= Alex's) system
Once boards arrive me I will send you a PM, OK?
Olli

PS: I must admit that I'm "surprised" that the brushless technology is considered for sports applications, I would have thought that its schock sensitivity would be an issue for many and/or restrict the range of applications to some few sports... anyhow, a very interesting effort!
Jan 05, 2014, 05:53 AM
Great! Yes, limited to low shock sports I think for now. Targeting paragliding and paramotoring initially. Once the technology comes on to include encoders, that could change though I think?
Jan 07, 2014, 02:16 PM
Flying Wood For Fun
another nice piece of work Olli
Jan 16, 2014, 03:32 AM
OlliW
Thread OP
Latest News

the board v1.1 is perfectly working

the major improvements are
- reverse voltage protection
- better order of pins of the RC port
- hardware to drive an IR led
- DFN packages of the motor drivers possible for significantly increased currents

it has three very minor issues though:
- the labelling of the SWD port is incorrect
- the order of pins on the I2C#2 port is opposite to that on the MPU-I2C#1 port
- big holes for battery cables miss solder ring on the bottom side
these obviously will be corrected in the next release

I'v updated the project web page and github repository accordingly

three boards have been shipped out to friendly testers
I'm eagerly looking forward to their responses

Finally, as regards the firmware, I've developped a unique mechanism to compensate/minimize the drift of the AHRS in the yaw axis without the need of a magnetometer

cheers, Olli

a picture of the v1.1 board
Last edited by OlliW; Jan 16, 2014 at 03:39 AM.
Jan 16, 2014, 03:38 AM
how about bigger cameras? Is Storm32 BGC able to lift biger DSLRs?
Jan 16, 2014, 03:49 AM
OlliW
Thread OP
someone would have to build a board with DFN packages and test how much current it can handle in practice
I can't know, I don't have a big gimbal, so I can go only with datasheets and common sense... this tells that the shown board with SO08 motor drivers should be good for 1 Amp per motor and that with DFN packages it might be twice as large... but without tests these numbers are theory
Jan 16, 2014, 04:47 AM
Flying Wood For Fun
are those drivers stackable too? like the IR4427S

Quick Reply