Polikarpov I-16 - RC Groups
Dec 14, 2013, 10:45 AM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
Gallery

Polikarpov I-16

The Polikarpov I-16 was a Soviet fighter aircraft of revolutionary design; it was the world's first low-wing cantilever monoplane fighter with retractable landing gear to have attained operational status and as such "introduced a new vogue in fighter design." The I-16 was introduced in the mid-1930s and formed the backbone of the Soviet Air Force at the beginning of World War II. The diminutive fighter, nicknamed "Ishak" ("Donkey") by Soviet pilots, prominently featured in the Second Sino-Japanese War,[2] the Battle of Khalkhin Gol and the Spanish Civil War—where it was called the Rata ("Rat") by the Nationalists or Mosca ("Fly") by the Republicans. The Finnish nickname for I-16 was Siipiorava ("Flying Squirrel").

Last edited by davidterrell80; May 27, 2014 at 12:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2013, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80
The Polikarpov I-16 ...
... the world's first low-wing cantilever monoplane fighter with retractable landing gear to have attained operational status
An advanced design for a short time, during a period when technology was advancing rapidly.

In many ways, it looks "right" too. Pity I rarely see it modeled.

Next summer, a local airshow has a warbirds theme. They won't say yet who is coming but I think even an I-16 is a possibility.
Dec 15, 2013, 11:31 AM
Anyone attempting to build an accurate scale model of the I-16 would have to see, measure, photograph, and sketch THAT particular I-16 and replicate THAT aircraft's color scheme and markings, down to warning stencils, in order to verify to fellow scale modelers that everything that could be done to authenticate was done. End of loooong sentence

Jim R.
Dec 16, 2013, 12:13 PM
For scale contests and Fanatics of accurate reproduction, yes.

There are some flying and static around the world, so getting your own photos isn't out of the question either.
Feb 07, 2014, 09:28 AM
delete
Last edited by TedD60; Aug 21, 2017 at 04:54 PM.
Feb 07, 2014, 09:43 AM

Last edited by TedD60; Feb 07, 2014 at 10:16 AM.
Mar 29, 2017, 01:27 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Found this nicely sized image on the net. I am gathering data for a CAD and 3D print project.

Ken

Latest blog entry: Ken's CAD Models new web site
Mar 29, 2017, 08:11 PM
Thanks for adding!!!
Sep 08, 2017, 08:12 PM

Here's some MORE detailed I-16 scale drawings...and main LG retraction help!

Dear Fellow RC-Grouper SCALE Lovers:

The PIPE Here...earlier today I started a forum thread on the "earlier" training bipe of Nikolai Polikarpov, his "Uchebnyy-2" or Po-2, as I hadn't noticed one for it here at RCG before...

...and as I've got some goodies for THIS thread, I'm placing them here for use by our fellow Scale builders!

Like the initial drawings I placed in the OP of the Po-2 thread, these are from the Russian-language "Modelist-Constructor" magazine's pages...they've got a LOT of detail, and in addition, to what I managed to find at the "Japanese Landing Gear Lady's website", there are four files included with the scale drawings, helping one understand how that hand-cranked (not unlike a Grumman Wildcat) and COMPLEX retracting main LG "geometry" on the I-16 operated, complete with the "turfcutter" lower wheel door which fully covered the main LG's wheels/tires, when fully retracted. The linear "screwjack" style Firgelli/Actuonix linear servos could be a BIG help in operating for true-to-scale retraction for a full-scale design of that type.

Anyway, here they are...enjoy!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
Last edited by The PIPE; Sep 08, 2017 at 08:22 PM.
Sep 12, 2017, 05:09 PM

Just ONE video for inspiration...

Dear Fellow RC-Groupers:

The PIPE Here Yet AGAIN...just found THIS video of a European-done RC Giant I-16 in an "oddball" scale size (38.5% of full scale, just over 3/8ths scale, if you'd like, but that's STILL an "oddball" one to yours truly), with a 0.4 litre displacement Moki gasser four-stroke radial mill in there...

Rc Rata I-16 with Moki 400cc (7 min 7 sec)

...it's just that the QUITE scale-lookin' retract gear went up a bit TOO fast, which IS where the Firgelli/Actuonix linear screwjack servos COULD be of help in SLOWING DOWN their action a fair bit!

Otherwise, quite a nice exhibition...but PLEASE slow down those main LGs on retraction!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!