Nov 03, 2019, 10:25 AM
Build more, websurf less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W
Since you went to the trouble, maybe mix the rud/ail channels just to experiment.
Jim,

That's a good idea and would likely make it less laborious to fly, however; I did not like how the airplane required constant heading corrections with the aileron wing. In contrast, the airplane flying with the rudder and elevator (polyhedral) wing tracks true on its own without pilot effort.

I already discarded the 48" aileron wing and am making progress on a 33" rudder+elevator version.

After thinking some more about it, I'll bet if the aileron wing had more dihedral the airplane would have tracked better.
Last edited by FlyingW; Nov 03, 2019 at 12:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2019, 08:32 AM
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
Jim,

That's a good idea and would likely make it less laborious to fly, however; I did not like how the airplane required constant heading corrections with the aileron wing. In contrast, the airplane flying with the rudder and elevator (polyhedral) wing tracks true on its own without pilot effort.

I already discarded the 48" aileron wing and am making progress on a 33" rudder+elevator version.

After thinking some more about it, I'll bet if the aileron wing had more dihedral the airplane would have tracked better.
Looking good on the 33" wing over there in the pic! You are correct about the poly wing, but personally I have never been a fan of the look of a poly-hedral wing! I don't know why...I just don't like the way they look lol. I want to build the "Slowly" but I plan on a conventional wing vs the poly version.

I like this one...
My scratch-built "Slowly" flying in light winds (2 min 57 sec)
Nov 04, 2019, 10:16 AM
Build more, websurf less
That's great. I notice that the airplane has a open structure to the tail. Probably saves some weight aft.

In both of my Old Fogey-ish builds I came out tail heavy and had to use a larger batter to get a good CG.

To lose some tail weight I just removed the 5mm tailplane on the 33" model and replaced it with some ancient 3mm depron I had left over. I also shortened to the tail moment one inch.
Nov 05, 2019, 08:35 AM
Build more, websurf less
Flew the 33" slow flyer this gloomy morning. Flew slowly and quietly as hoped. Being so slow and yet maneuverable it was able to fly within the confines of my small back yard - perfect. Old Dualsky 2223E (3/4oz.) motor, 2s 360 LiPo, 7x3.5 prop. All up weight under six ounces. Never more than 1/2 throttle.
Nov 05, 2019, 11:39 AM
Jim
Quote:
Flew the 33" slow flyer this gloomy morning. Flew slowly and quietly as hoped. Being so slow and yet maneuverable it was able to fly within the confines of my small back yard - perfect. Old Dualsky 2223E (3/4oz.) motor, 2s 360 LiPo, 7x3.5 prop. All up weight under six ounces. Never more than 1/2 throttle.
Nice work! Relaxing isn't it?
Nov 05, 2019, 01:13 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Very nice !
Nov 05, 2019, 03:51 PM
Jim
I want to apologize to Balsa or Carbon (the thread OP) for my part in hijacking the thread! I will do better!
Nov 05, 2019, 04:51 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
I want to apologize to Balsa or Carbon (the thread OP) for my part in hijacking the thread! I will do better!
No problem , it's all on topic !
Nov 06, 2019, 07:48 AM
Build more, websurf less
Added rounded wingtips with some polyhedral - mostly for a pleasant look. Here is a flight shot from this morning.
Nov 06, 2019, 05:09 PM
Jim
Quote:
Added rounded wingtips with some polyhedral - mostly for a pleasant look. Here is a flight shot from this morning.
Nice shot...that wing looks good even with polyH...
Nov 06, 2019, 05:28 PM
Build more, websurf less
Quote:
Nice shot...that wing looks good even with polyH...
Thanks Jim. I think it looks good because it is similar to a bird's wing.
Nov 09, 2019, 11:21 AM
Build more, websurf less
Added rounded wingtips to the 48" slow flyer bringing the wingspan to about 56". Also added bamboo skewers to stiffen the trailing edge. It flew wonderfully this morning in perfectly calm and cold (22 degrees!) and I did not observe any fluttering during this flight.
Last edited by FlyingW; Nov 09, 2019 at 11:28 AM.
Nov 09, 2019, 11:47 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Added rounded wingtips to the 48" slow flyer bringing the wingspan to about 56". Also added bamboo skewers to stiffen the trailing edge. It flew wonderfully this morning in perfectly calm and cold (22 degrees!) and I did not observe any fluttering during this flight.
Good looking bird !

If possible , show us a video of a full flight !
Nov 09, 2019, 04:32 PM
Build more, websurf less
Here's the 56" one:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JRu...ew?usp=sharing

and here is the 41" one:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15B9...ew?usp=sharing
Last edited by FlyingW; Nov 10, 2019 at 07:31 AM.
Nov 11, 2019, 05:53 PM
Jim
Quote:
Both look to be excellent fliers! Great work FlyingW!

Quick Reply