May 18, 2014, 10:53 AM
thanks for the quick reply .I have no intention of flying this ship on windy days ,but just in case a gust of wind shows up I don't want to get caught by surprise and lose the plane .I am planning on installing some lights inside the fuse to give it that glowing look . since the ship is pretty big . I am thinking its going to need about 2~3 meters of lights .I am thinking that's around 6 ounces . thanks for the build instruction .it is greatly apriciated .I will get some pics a nd a video up here , once I get is sorted out and get a club member to take pics
thanks again , awesome plane
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2014, 02:05 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN
thanks for the quick reply .I have no intention of flying this ship on windy days ,but just in case a gust of wind shows up I don't want to get caught by surprise and lose the plane .I am planning on installing some lights inside the fuse to give it that glowing look . since the ship is pretty big . I am thinking its going to need about 2~3 meters of lights .I am thinking that's around 6 ounces . thanks for the build instruction .it is greatly apriciated .I will get some pics a nd a video up here , once I get is sorted out and get a club member to take pics
thanks again , awesome plane
Looking forward to seeing the photos/video ! Night flying video , if possible !

Al
Jun 04, 2014, 06:25 PM

Nice one

Another great plane for the incoming projects list
Jun 15, 2014, 11:26 AM
Got Foam?

72" Citabria

Well the wait is over, the BIG Citabria flies!
BorC has created a monster. Now I want to super size every scratch built I've ever made.
As with the 65" Big Fogey I built, this baby has the same gear.
After 15 minutes of flying on a 3S 2200ma battery I got tired of flying it and floated in for a smooth landing.

72" Citabria (2 min 46 sec)
Jun 15, 2014, 12:37 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcmyers
Well the wait is over, the BIG Citabria flies!
BorC has created a monster. Now I want to super size every scratch built I've ever made.
As with the 65" Big Fogey I built, this baby has the same gear.
After 15 minutes of flying on a 3S 2200ma battery I got tired of flying it and floated in for a smooth landing.

http://youtu.be/Jg3T2lD2rPg
Very nice !

Al
Jul 12, 2014, 11:40 PM
FPV REBEL ALLIANCE
Hey Al

Wish I would have seen this thread a little sooner lol. I was bored this morning so built an old fogey paper off with a hex motor. Flew it this afternoon. The wing design by FT is not the greatest. The plane had a real problem with dutching side to side while dropping wing tips. I think the dihedral was a bit much.

I may try again with your wing design. I never did like the tip dihedral wings.

Nightstone
Jul 13, 2014, 12:55 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone
Hey Al

Wish I would have seen this thread a little sooner lol. I was bored this morning so built an old fogey paper off with a hex motor. Flew it this afternoon. The wing design by FT is not the greatest. The plane had a real problem with dutching side to side while dropping wing tips. I think the dihedral was a bit much.

I may try again with your wing design. I never did like the tip dihedral wings.

Nightstone
Hi Nightstone ,
I also made a smaller one ( 40" WS ) paper off 24 gram Hex motor , and dihedral instead of polyhedral . I think the problem with the FT Old Fogey design is the short tail moment ( rudder is too close to yaw axis ) , so I made mine with a longer tail moment .

Lightweight 40" wingspan FT Old Fogey-ish (2 min 58 sec)
Jul 14, 2014, 12:31 AM
FPV REBEL ALLIANCE
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Hi Nightstone ,
I also made a smaller one ( 40" WS ) paper off 24 gram Hex motor , and dihedral instead of polyhedral . I think the problem with the FT Old Fogey design is the short tail moment ( rudder is too close to yaw axis ) , so I made mine with a longer tail moment .
That flies 100% better than mine did. Longer tail and dihedral seems To be the ticket. Did you try an original old fogey first? Just curious what your results were.

Nightstone

Btw... It flew awesome in that vid. Very smooth.
Jul 14, 2014, 01:47 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone
That flies 100% better than mine did. Longer tail and dihedral seems To be the ticket. Did you try an original old fogey first? Just curious what your results were.

Nightstone

Btw... It flew awesome in that vid. Very smooth.
No I never built an original Old Fogey , just copied the general layout . It just seemed to me that the tail was short , and that might be the cause of the wing rock I saw in so many videos .

If you build another one , let me know how it turns out .

Al
Jul 16, 2014, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Hi Nightstone ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Xy...ature=youtu.be
Grats, another nice calm plane again!

Please, could you share the new dimensions of your 40" plane? especially the wing TE- stab LE distance and so on.
You just inspired me, rebuild mine w/dihedral - longer tail

thank you
Jul 16, 2014, 10:57 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkornel
Grats, another nice calm plane again!

Please, could you share the new dimensions of your 40" plane? especially the wing TE- stab LE distance and so on.
You just inspired me, rebuild mine w/dihedral - longer tail

thank you
Here you go

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1#post27324153

and

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2#post27334690

and

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2#post27913772

Al
Jul 16, 2014, 11:22 AM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction
Excellent. What is the all-up weight of the 40in model?
Jul 16, 2014, 11:40 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD
Excellent. What is the all-up weight of the 40in model?
AUW for 40" is 287 grams with an 800mah 2 cell .

Al
Jul 19, 2014, 08:01 AM
Thanks!
Just finished building this, so only a calm day what I need now to have the maiden. Gliding test was promising.
(Im gonna share the video)
AUW 415 gr built from 4mm XPS (material similar to $3 but not so stiff had to be straightened a bit)
gear:
battery 1000 mAh/3S, 10A ESC, Turnigy 2730 Brushless Motor 1500kv, 7x3.8, FrSky VR8 RX
Last edited by jkornel; Jul 19, 2014 at 08:16 AM.
Jul 19, 2014, 11:54 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkornel
Thanks!
Just finished building this, so only a calm day what I need now to have the maiden. Gliding test was promising.
(Im gonna share the video)
AUW 415 gr built from 4mm XPS (material similar to $3 but not so stiff had to be straightened a bit)
gear:
battery 1000 mAh/3S, 10A ESC, Turnigy 2730 Brushless Motor 1500kv, 7x3.8, FrSky VR8 RX
Cool ! Looking forward to seeing it fly !

Al

Quick Reply