Apr 21, 2014, 08:20 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcmyers
That's an 11" prop on the nose! I think I'm gonna need a bigger prop...
Getting there !
to remove ads between posts
Apr 27, 2014, 06:33 PM
Got Foam?
Quote:
The 65" FFF build begins...
gettin' closer...
hopefully she will be in the air by Nall so I can get Bixler's autograph on the wing
Apr 27, 2014, 10:08 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
gettin' closer...
hopefully she will be in the air by Nall so I can get Bixler's autograph on the wing
Excellent !
May 06, 2014, 12:38 AM
I was wondering if I could scale down the size of the fuselage down to around 30", to make it fit on one sheet of DTF.
It would be 56.60% smaller, this means that if I scale everything down, the wing would have to be ~34".

My plan is to have the fuselage 30" long, and a wing of around 40", do you think this would work.
Thanks
May 06, 2014, 02:51 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguano
I was wondering if I could scale down the size of the fuselage down to around 30", to make it fit on one sheet of DTF.
It would be 56.60% smaller, this means that if I scale everything down, the wing would have to be ~34".

My plan is to have the fuselage 30" long, and a wing of around 40", do you think this would work.
Thanks
You could scale this one down , but why don't you just build the actual FT Old Fogey ? The wingspan of the FT Old Fogey is close to 40" , and the fuselage fits on one sheet of DTF . To make it slower flying , build it as lightweight as possible ( no swappable pod , no landing gear , peel the paper off the DTF , lightweight electronics mounted in front of the CG , etc. ) .

Al

http://www.flitetest.com/articles/FT..._Scratch_Build
May 10, 2014, 12:27 PM
Got Foam?
Quote:
gettin' closer...
I'm feeling pretty good about the the upcoming maiden AUW with 2 1300ma batts in Parallel comes to 900g or 32oz. Not to bad for blue FFF and hot glue.
May 10, 2014, 01:48 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
I'm feeling pretty good about the the upcoming maiden AUW with 2 1300ma batts in Parallel comes to 900g or 32oz. Not to bad for blue FFF and hot glue.
900 gams is great ! Should be a real floater !

Al
May 11, 2014, 11:25 AM
Got Foam?

She flies...

Quote:
The 65" FFF build begins...
Challenging is not astrong enough word to explain how one minute into the maiden I have rudder and elevator in the right hand and the iPod in the left.

65" Old Fogeyish (3 min 34 sec)
Last edited by mjcmyers; May 11, 2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: added pics
May 11, 2014, 12:05 PM
Old RC Guy Having Fun!
Great job!! Both on the plane and the video! Looks like a lot of fun to fly! Refreshing to see a video without the GoPro wide angle distortion and obnoxious music where you can actually see and hear the plane Kudos and thanks for posting! Best, Aero
May 11, 2014, 01:36 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Awesome ! Yes , flying and filming at the same time can be challenging !

When you get that signature from Bixler on it show us a photo !

Al
May 17, 2014, 01:03 PM
Got Foam?

Finally, Bixler approves...

First let me say that if you have never met Josh Bixler do yourself a favor and go to the next show that you can catch him at and introduce yourself. He is one of the nicest and down to earth people you will ever meet.
With that said he went crazy when he saw the size of this beast...
May 17, 2014, 08:09 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
First let me say that if you have never met Josh Bixler do yourself a favor and go to the next show that you can catch him at and introduce yourself. He is one of the nicest and down to earth people you will ever meet.
With that said he went crazy when he saw the size of this beast...
VERY cool ! Did he have a chance to see it fly ?

Al
May 18, 2014, 05:54 AM
Got Foam?
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
VERY cool ! Did he have a chance to see it fly ?

Al
For couple of minutes, everyone was in awe of how slow it flew. Then the esc blew one phase so she gently floated back to earth.
I already have my gears turning on a 72" Citabria...
May 18, 2014, 07:33 AM
ironic how I love super fast planes but I love how slow this plane flies , I have made a OSG (one sheet glider) from the scratch built section , for night flying but I am looking for other options as well and that's how I ran into the thread so im thinking of making on of these for night flying ,I would like to know if adding lights to it ,would the lights effect the slow flying characteristics (the added weight ) and how well does this ship handle wind . just in case it gets windy , lets say 10mph winds ,
May 18, 2014, 08:52 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN
ironic how I love super fast planes but I love how slow this plane flies , I have made a OSG (one sheet glider) from the scratch built section , for night flying but I am looking for other options as well and that's how I ran into the thread so im thinking of making on of these for night flying ,I would like to know if adding lights to it ,would the lights effect the slow flying characteristics (the added weight ) and how well does this ship handle wind . just in case it gets windy , lets say 10mph winds ,
I don't think adding LED's will significantly affect the slow flight , but if you extend the nose a little you could use a lighter battery to save weight .

The one time I flew mine in wind it flew ok , but after landing the wind caught under a wing and flipped it .

Al

Quick Reply