Thread Tools
Apr 03, 2014, 10:35 AM
old foamie
I was thinking that if I would lower the wing down to the height of the nose , I could make a sorta -eindecker. I'm working on the pattern and scaled it down to 45 " for a first try. I love slow flying planes, easy to stay out of trouble. I'll also use blu fan fold to handle my less than perfect doinks.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 03, 2014, 12:40 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by old foamie
I was thinking that if I would lower the wing down to the height of the nose , I could make a sorta -eindecker. I'm working on the pattern and scaled it down to 45 " for a first try. I love slow flying planes, easy to stay out of trouble. I'll also use blu fan fold to handle my less than perfect doinks.
Can't wait to see the results !

Al
Apr 03, 2014, 06:57 PM
old foamie
Here is my sketch of the different wing placements on the same fuse. I'm going to use the mid-wing version to pull off a eindecker-ish look .
Apr 03, 2014, 08:17 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by old foamie
Here is my sketch of the different wing placements on the same fuse. I'm going to use the mid-wing version to pull off a eindecker-ish look .
I always ask everybody " when you're done building your plane , photos and video please ! "

Al
Apr 04, 2014, 09:04 AM
old foamie
It flys so slow as it is, you have to wonder if an extra wing would effect it much more or would it be a larger balance of drag to power needed to the same end result?
Apr 04, 2014, 11:52 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by old foamie
It flys so slow as it is, you have to wonder if an extra wing would effect it much more or would it be a larger balance of drag to power needed to the same end result?
I've only scratch built one biplane , and I didn't notice any significant advantage of having the second wing compared to the same plane with just one wing . I think the extra weight/drag cancelled out any gain in lift . But that's just my experience , it could be different for someone else .

If I were to make another one , the thing I would definitely do different is extend the nose so I could get the CG with a lighter battery ( one instead of two ) .

Al
Apr 04, 2014, 06:43 PM
old foamie
I added 2" to the nose on my fuse to help with the balance forward of the wing, is that about what you would add? It's now45" wingspan by 15" chord, with a now 42" long fuse.
Apr 04, 2014, 07:40 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by old foamie
I added 2" to the nose on my fuse to help with the balance forward of the wing, is that about what you would add? It's now45" wingspan by 15" chord, with a now 42" long fuse.
An extra 2" added to the nose on a 45" wingspan sounds about right . I'm totally a " TLAR " ( That Looks About Right ) builder !

Al
Apr 14, 2014, 06:04 PM
Got Foam?
mjcmyers's Avatar

Bigger is better.


The 65" FFF build begins...
Apr 14, 2014, 08:10 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcmyers
The 65" FFF build begins...
Can't wait to see it fly !

Al
Apr 16, 2014, 01:41 PM
old foamie
I have finally commited to foam my version of your plane. It was going to be a Fokker eindeckerish , but it slowly became a bird winged taube instead, but that maybe more fitting for the speed I'm hoping it will fly at. Build pictures will start soon, size grew also as the theme developed, now52" wingspan. I also got an idea for really,really ,really slow combat with an altered low wing fuse and as a hurricane for starters , see sketch, what do you think?
Apr 16, 2014, 05:11 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by old foamie
I have finally commited to foam my version of your plane. It was going to be a Fokker eindeckerish , but it slowly became a bird winged taube instead, but that maybe more fitting for the speed I'm hoping it will fly at. Build pictures will start soon, size grew also as the theme developed, now52" wingspan. I also got an idea for really,really ,really slow combat with an altered low wing fuse and as a hurricane for starters , see sketch, what do you think?
Go for it ! Can't wait to see it fly !

Al
Apr 17, 2014, 07:03 PM
Got Foam?
mjcmyers's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcmyers
The 65" FFF build begins...
The beast continues to grow...
Apr 17, 2014, 07:23 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Looks good !
Apr 21, 2014, 06:44 PM
Got Foam?
mjcmyers's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcmyers
The beast continues to grow...
That's an 11" prop on the nose! I think I'm gonna need a bigger prop...


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools