Jan 05, 2014, 03:56 AM
Thanks for sharing your plans, unbelievable flight characteristics! It's a must have for me also

Btw, sry for my noob question,but why don't you make the nose a bit longer and move motor and battery (weight) a way forward to save some dead weight (e.g spare your 2nd battery) ?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2014, 11:09 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
When I make another one I'll definitely do that ! And I'll also increase the wingspan to 90" .

If you make one , please show us photos/video !

Al
Jan 20, 2014, 01:09 PM
Just built a scaled down version of your plans but facing a strange issue:

plane starts looping badly immediately after launching from hands, even with 30-40% throttle. loop radius is about 2 meters, so pretty tight! No roll out to the sides but after 1 second from start the plain takes 180 degrees and continue towards 360
CG is set halfway between the 1st and 2nd peak of the wing.

I had about constant 5 km/h head wing. 35" wingspan, 350 grams full up weight 6x4 APC and Emax 2812@3S (this setup has 430 g max trust, I know It's an overkill, but I haven't had smaller motor atm)

My guess was inappropriate thrust angle, since the CG seems to be good or?

As far as I see on your pictures you have applied plenty of down thrust angle. I did the same first (~10 degrees) but I tried with only 2-3 deg also with the same result.

After 2 tries I lost my nose of the plane, so actually, I'm about to rebuild and improve my prototype so I need your advice to eliminate the looping issue.

I was lazy enough by not taking time to have glide test before the powered maiden, I'll definitely do next time

So what do you think, what was wrong? What shall I fix or try?
Jan 20, 2014, 07:32 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkornel
Just built a scaled down version of your plans but facing a strange issue:

plane starts looping badly immediately after launching from hands, even with 30-40% throttle. loop radius is about 2 meters, so pretty tight! No roll out to the sides but after 1 second from start the plain takes 180 degrees and continue towards 360
CG is set halfway between the 1st and 2nd peak of the wing.

I had about constant 5 km/h head wing. 35" wingspan, 350 grams full up weight 6x4 APC and Emax 2812@3S (this setup has 430 g max trust, I know It's an overkill, but I haven't had smaller motor atm)

My guess was inappropriate thrust angle, since the CG seems to be good or?

As far as I see on your pictures you have applied plenty of down thrust angle. I did the same first (~10 degrees) but I tried with only 2-3 deg also with the same result.

After 2 tries I lost my nose of the plane, so actually, I'm about to rebuild and improve my prototype so I need your advice to eliminate the looping issue.

I was lazy enough by not taking time to have glide test before the powered maiden, I'll definitely do next time

So what do you think, what was wrong? What shall I fix or try?
Sounds like it might have too much wing incidence relative to the horizontal stabilizer .

If you are making a 35" wingspan plane , why don't you try the actual FliteTest Old Fogey plans ?

http://www.flitetest.com/articles/FT..._Scratch_Build

Al
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Jan 20, 2014 at 07:43 PM.
Jan 21, 2014, 02:20 AM
Thanks for your advice, I will check it.
Jan 26, 2014, 07:40 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →

40" wingspan version

Made another , smaller one - 24 gram hexTronik motor , 800mah 2 cell . May be even slower than the giant one !

Lightweight 40" wingspan FT Old Fogey-ish (2 min 58 sec)

Here are the plans for the 40" version . They are not to scale , just hand-drawn to show dimensions .

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1662

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1666

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2&postcount=28

Al
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Feb 02, 2015 at 01:07 AM.
Feb 17, 2014, 02:18 AM
I trow my fav tings off cliffs
Your planes really make me smile!
I built the ole fogey about a year ago and it was my favorite plane for quite a while..
I was sad when the paper started coming off of the foam due to moisture in the morning air, that turned me off to foam board planes...

You solved that problem and came up with a plane that flies even slower ( stately).
I just might have to build one, I still feel this design could be used to teach with. (introductory first flight kinda stuff) reduce control throws to almost nill and use a buddy box, so you can make the landings. I've flown foam without the paper too, I know how fragile it is...

Thanks again for sharing and nice work!
sean
Feb 17, 2014, 02:25 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumaflyer
Your planes really make me smile!
I built the ole fogey about a year ago and it was my favorite plane for quite a while..
I was sad when the paper started coming off of the foam due to moisture in the morning air, that turned me off to foam board planes...

You solved that problem and came up with a plane that flies even slower ( stately).
I just might have to build one, I still feel this design could be used to teach with. (introductory first flight kinda stuff) reduce control throws to almost nill and use a buddy box, so you can make the landings. I've flown foam without the paper too, I know how fragile it is...

Thanks again for sharing and nice work!
sean
Thanks Sean ! If you build one , photos and video please !

Al
Mar 23, 2014, 10:00 PM
B C .I didn't know you had a thread on this.I would have said Great Job sooner.
These vids always make me smile too.I'll give this a go as soon as I can,and report back.
Mar 23, 2014, 10:37 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice076
B C .I didn't know you had a thread on this.I would have said Great Job sooner.
These vids always make me smile too.I'll give this a go as soon as I can,and report back.
Excellent ! If you make one , photos and video please !

Al
Mar 26, 2014, 11:11 PM

60 inch Old Fogey

Love the 60 inch Slow Fly Old Fogey. It is my favorite way to fly, Low and Slow. I am working on a 35 inch kit (Old Fogey from Flite Test) now.
I want to Build a 40 incher and Then a 60 incher. I dont understand the 3 step airfoil though. Can you go into more detail please.
Thanks
Mar 26, 2014, 11:30 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by airman1958
Love the 60 inch Slow Fly Old Fogey. It is my favorite way to fly, Low and Slow. I am working on a 35 inch kit (Old Fogey from Flite Test) now.
I want to Build a 40 incher and Then a 60 incher. I dont understand the 3 step airfoil though. Can you go into more detail please.
Thanks
Tomorrow I'll put together some instructions showing how it's done .

Al
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Mar 27, 2014 at 05:05 PM.
Mar 28, 2014, 04:34 AM
Hi balsa or carbon,

That's a hellofa good idea! Can you use this idea on EPP wings too? I have a lot of scrap EPP that is 10mm.

Ron
Mar 28, 2014, 12:59 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebuck
Hi balsa or carbon,

That's a hellofa good idea! Can you use this idea on EPP wings too? I have a lot of scrap EPP that is 10mm.

Ron
I think it would work - try it and let us know !

Al

Quick Reply