Dec 13, 2013, 06:00 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Mini-HowTo

60" wingspan Old Fogey-ish , now with PDF plans .

Several people have asked me for build details of my 60" wingspan Old Fogey-ish slow flyer , so here you go ...

AUW with two 1600mah 3 cell batteries : 1073 grams ( 37.85 ounces ) .

Everything is "paper off" $Tree foam except for the top (inside) layer of the fuselage bottom , I left the paper on there for strength .

The wing construction is like the Old Fogey on FliteTest , but with a 3 part under camber airfoil instead of a 2 part .

Everything is a single layer of $Tree foam , except the vertical and horizontal stabilizers , fuselage bottom , and the center ( straight ) part of the wing are double layer foam .

I put all the electronics ( including servos ) as far to the front as possible to get the CG , which is about at the apex of the wing's airfoil .

I assemble all the pieces with scotch tape for a trial fit before gluing with low temp hot glue .

Keep it light for slow flight !

FT Old Fogey-ish with 60" wingspan (1 min 56 sec)

These plans ( photos below ) are not to scale , but just hand-drawn to show dimensions . There are CAD plans ( pdf file ) for a 40" Old Fogey-ish in this post : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=40257172 , and there are CAD plans ( pdf file ) for a 60" Old Fogey-ish in this post : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=789
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Oct 12, 2018 at 01:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2013, 08:25 AM
Andres Lu
Amazing! That thing just floats!

-Andres
Dec 14, 2013, 12:11 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker24458
Amazing! That thing just floats!

-Andres
Thanks Andres ! My goal was to make a very slow flying plane .

Al
Dec 15, 2013, 12:38 PM
I trow my fav tings off cliffs
Nice Floater!
Bet it would be a good plane to teach with...
Dec 15, 2013, 01:20 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumaflyer
Nice Floater!
Bet it would be a good plane to teach with...
Thanks !
Unfortunately it's pretty fragile ( due to the large size and lightweight construction ) and needs to be flown GENTLY . I don't think it would hold up to a first time flyer's tendency to oversteer , etc.

The planes I use for teaching are my smaller , lightweight , homemade EzFlys . They are also very stable and slow flying , but are strong enough to loop , pull out of dives , etc. Here's one ( flying with my right hand while filming with my left hand )

Copy of EzFly with under-cambered wing (1 min 57 sec)

Al
Dec 16, 2013, 07:14 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →

New higher altitude video

After flying the big one several times , I now trust the strength of the wings enough to take it up higher . It's SO slow that it's almost boring to fly !

60" wingspan Old Fogey-ish flying up higher (4 min 52 sec)

Al
Dec 17, 2013, 01:22 AM
Looks like it would do well indoors in a big enough space. You could launch Peanut Scale models from under the wing
Dec 17, 2013, 01:27 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhudson1960
Looks like it would do well indoors in a big enough space. You could launch Peanut Scale models from under the wing
I would love it if we had a large indoor flying space around here , but I haven't found one yet .
Dec 17, 2013, 04:20 PM
7up
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
Gotta build me one of these... I like turtles.

-Buk
Dec 17, 2013, 04:56 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up
Gotta build me one of these... I like turtles.

-Buk
Awesome ! Show us photos/video please !

Al
Dec 17, 2013, 06:29 PM
low tech high tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
After flying the big one several times , I now trust the strength of the wings enough to take it up higher . It's SO slow that it's almost boring to fly !
Al
Boy that really is slow! That's about the slowest straight and level flight I've seen.

Well you could add a keycam and use it for photography without increasing the weight noticeably -- that might make it more fun.

Carrier landings? Minimal length touch and goes? Stuff like that.
Dec 17, 2013, 07:46 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy
Boy that really is slow! That's about the slowest straight and level flight I've seen.

Well you could add a keycam and use it for photography without increasing the weight noticeably -- that might make it more fun.

Carrier landings? Minimal length touch and goes? Stuff like that.
I've been wanting to put a camera on it , but my keycam is incognito - I'll have to order another one .

My next project is going to be a 10 foot wingspan version of this plane , also an incredibly slow flyer !

Spectacular HUGE RC plane. 16 square meter wing SLOW MFK FALKEN (11 min 23 sec)

Al
Dec 18, 2013, 11:06 PM
Great plane! I've got to build one!

What motor are you using? Is there a reason you need two batteries?
Dec 18, 2013, 11:51 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwlf
Great plane! I've got to build one!

What motor are you using? Is there a reason you need two batteries?
The motor is a DT750 from HobbyKing , and it needed the weight of the two batteries to get the CG .

If you make one , photos and video please !

Al
Dec 19, 2013, 09:16 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →

One more video

Here's one more video - it's my favorite plane to fly lately !

Another video of 60" Old Fogey (3 min 39 sec)

Al
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Dec 20, 2013 at 09:35 AM.

Quick Reply