Dec 14, 2013, 07:55 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Thanks for that Bob

Yes as Bob says, you guys can get the Model Plane Foam over there and it comes in bigger sheets than I can get

It is great for building where you want to bend or roll and it does sand a lot better than Depron ...

I would be inclined to ONLY use it for covering though as it is a little thinner than Depron and is not as stiff for formers etc ... also the slots don't fit properly because of this (its a little over 5mm as against 6mm for Depron)

Lockey
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the Model Plane Foam info, I have some already, I just didn't recognize the initials.
Glue is on its way so I'll try it on both Depron and MPF.
Dec 16, 2013, 06:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelsguy
Thanks for the Model Plane Foam info, I have some already, I just didn't recognize the initials.
Glue is on its way so I'll try it on both Depron and MPF.
Think you will like the Foam-Tac, just apply to one side, put the 2 parts together, separate for a few seconds and then put back together again and you have an almost immediate bond

Only fault I find is (like most glues) is that it doesn't like to sand

If I have to sand a joint and the glue is "rubbery" I simply cut out the glue (in a small "V" shape) with a sharp hobby knife and use a bit of lightweight filler to fill the "V"

Lockey
Dec 17, 2013, 10:00 PM
Thread OP
Plans are now finished, any brave person out there want to have a go at the build ?

I won't post the plans until it has been built, but if anyone would like to have a go at it, please drop me a line and I will send them the plans

Email: [email protected]

We have visitors from the UK and I won't be able to do much building until after the new year

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Feb 09, 2017 at 04:45 AM.
Dec 17, 2013, 11:37 PM
Lockey,

What's the specs for this version of the build? May be a nice Xmas build.

Ksqm
Dec 18, 2013, 02:52 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqm
Lockey,

What's the specs for this version of the build? May be a nice Xmas build.

Ksqm
I have designed it for 2 x 64mm EWDF’s, but could probably squeeze in 2 x 70mm ones

Its my first real go at a EDF, I feel sure it will fly OK as the specs are just slightly enlarged from the prop version and with 2 x 64 fans it should be plenty of thrust

6mm Depron flat wing with 3mm Depron top air-foil added after wing is attached to fuselage (as with the big 1200 ws BD5 I did) .... much easier to fit nacelles, run the wires for EDFs and servos etc this way ... although I guess the wing could be made removable (also as I did with the big BD5)

1200 mm Wing span and just over 1 m long

I expect it to weigh in at around 1 -1.2 kg (about 35 – 42 oz) AUW with battery

Wing area 240588 Millimeters (372 Inches )

….. Not clever enough to work out the wing loaing

As you know, I don't have any engineering or aeronautics experience, I design and build from pictures, 3 views and past experiences, its also the first time I have gone for 3mm Depron covering on the fuselage although I see no reason why it couldn't be 6mm or MPF (may just need the formers sanding down a little smaller)

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 18, 2013 at 03:30 AM.
Dec 18, 2013, 09:07 AM
When cows fly!
Love your work. I get a lot of ideas from you and appreciate your efforts. Keep it up!
Dec 18, 2013, 09:35 AM
low tech high tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
As you know, I don't have any engineering or aeronautics experience, I design and build from pictures, 3 views and past experiences, its also the first time I have gone for 3mm Depron covering on the fuselage although I see no reason why it couldn't be 6mm or MPF (may just need the formers sanding down a little smaller) Lockey
Well you do a very fine job of it from the looks of those plans in the reductions. Really admirable design work!
Dec 18, 2013, 10:35 AM
I have two 60mm dia fans who are looking for a home
This looks like it
I am waiting for the plans breathlessly
Walt
Dec 18, 2013, 12:59 PM
Retired CAD guy
Tony, send those skp's to me and I'll figure your wing area for you.

I'm not an EDF devotee, but I'm glad to help anyway.

Bob

Hoosier Cutout Service
Dec 18, 2013, 04:19 PM
projected wing loading is approximately 13.5 oz. / sq. ft.to approximately
16 oz./sq. ft.
walt
Dec 18, 2013, 07:21 PM
Thread OP
Thank you for your kind comments guys

I was quite surprised to have a few emails asking for the plans and a couple of you guys here would like then so I might as well post them here on the first post.

Remember, these haven't been tested yet, the only thing I ask is ... if you decide to use the plans and build it ... that you post pics of the build (and flights) and let me know if you find any mistakes or have any constructive criticisms

PLANS ON POST # 1

Happy building

Lockey

PS. SKP's on their way to you Bob
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 18, 2013 at 07:28 PM.
Dec 18, 2013, 08:53 PM
Looks great Tony, again one of my favorite planes.

Cheers Kev.
Dec 18, 2013, 09:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco1
Looks great Tony, again one of my favorite planes.

Cheers Kev.
Thanks Kev, hey... are you going to build one? be interesting to see some pics of YOUR build as you would probably be using your CNC hot wire cutter to make the parts eh

I am doing a hatchet job on the small one and fitting 2 x 50 mm fans to see how it will fly

Lockey
Dec 19, 2013, 01:42 AM
Would like to build one just have to find the time, home for a few days then off to Perth on Christmas day (bugga) been away for the last 3.
Hope the smaller 262 works on the 50mm fans, if you need more intake area you could have some cheater holes on the inboard of the nacelles and they wouldn't be to obvious.

Cheers Kev.
Last edited by Loco1; Dec 19, 2013 at 01:55 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply