Dec 13, 2013, 05:53 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Build Log

Depron ME-262

Reserved for plans etc .....

Remember, the plans haven't been tested yet, the only thing I ask is ... if you decide to use the plans and build it ... that you post pics of the build (and flights) and let me know if you find any mistakes or have any constructive criticisms

Happy building

Plans are now available at: http://www.lockeysrcplans.com

Lockey

PS. Sorry, I forgot to mark the CG on the plans so here it is ... I advise starting at the front one (100 mm) and work from there
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 04, 2016 at 06:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2013, 05:55 AM
Hi again Guys, thought I would (once more) try my hand at a EDF

Test bed for this one had the motor/prop up front (tractor style) 1100 mm wing span

Maiden flight today, bit windy but NEEDED to fly this one again after the disastrous test flight

Only problem I had this time out was that the prop was cutting the grass

Once in the air it flew very nice ... I am going to try it this one with a couple of 50mm fans before I build the next one

Final design will be 1200 mm (around 4 ft) wing span and have 2 x 64 mm EDF's

Lockey

Test Flight ... ME262
Test Flight ... ME262 (0 min 26 sec)

ME-262 Maiden
ME-262 Maiden (1 min 58 sec)
Dec 13, 2013, 06:33 AM
Here are a few pics of this build, it initially started as a pusher but found it would NO WAY balance with the motor at the back ... so switched it to the front

Lockey
Dec 13, 2013, 07:15 AM
low tech high tech
Nice!

Looked a little unstable in pitch, but hard to tell in a video -- maybe a little more H. stab area would help?
Dec 13, 2013, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy
Nice!

Looked a little unstable in pitch, but hard to tell in a video -- maybe a little more H. stab area would help?
You may well be right vtdiy ... but it was a little too windy to tell, it didn't seem to do anything too silly though ... need a little more time in calmer weather

I am going to take off the motor and prop and see how it flies with 2 x 50mm fans ... just a quick hatchet job

Lockey
Dec 13, 2013, 12:11 PM
low tech high tech
Well it's a really nice looking plane like all your designs!
Dec 13, 2013, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Hi again Guys, thought I would (once more) try my hand at a EDF

Test bed for this one had the motor/prop up front (tractor style) 1100 mm wing span

Maiden flight today, bit windy but NEEDED to fly this one again after the disastrous test flight

Only problem I had this time out was that the prop was cutting the grass

Once in the air it flew very nice ... I am going to try it this one with a couple of 50mm fans before I build the next one

Final design will be 1200 mm (around 4 ft) wing span and have 2 x 64 mm EDF's

Lockey

Test Flight ... ME262
https://vimeo.com/81349092

ME-262 Maiden
https://vimeo.com/81799213

wow Just Beautifull, just Beautifull
Dec 13, 2013, 01:17 PM
Your first flight sounds a lot like some of mine. I had a good chuckle over the sound track comments. Nice job to get some scale-like fuselage and nacelles.
I built a depron Me 262 a long time ago, 2006, first with two pushers props in the nacelles and then with 2x55mm EDF's.I'm starting on a bigger one right now for 2*70 mm EDF's. Slow progress as I have other planes in the queue.
When I get going I'll post progress.
Dec 13, 2013, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelsguy
Your first flight sounds a lot like some of mine. I had a good chuckle over the sound track comments. Nice job to get some scale-like fuselage and nacelles.
I built a depron Me 262 a long time ago, 2006, first with two pushers props in the nacelles and then with 2x55mm EDF's.I'm starting on a bigger one right now for 2*70 mm EDF's. Slow progress as I have other planes in the queue.
When I get going I'll post progress.
Please do post some pics and details of your's fuelsguy ... what build method are you using

On the first one I used flat sides and carved and sanded to shape

The next one will be formers covered with 3mm Depron ... I have not used 3 mm Depron before for fuselage covering, I will see how it goes and if I don't like it, I will switch to 6 mm Depron or MPF

Lockey
Dec 13, 2013, 06:57 PM
Lockey,
my first Me262 was a 6mm flat wing with built up fuselage carved to shape.
I used a technique of building a triangular fuselage then cutting away the corners and gluing flat sections of depron over the open spaces, followed by cutting and sanding to shape. You can get close to even a circular shape with this technique. The nacelles I did with a process I invented. I cover one side of a piece 6mm depron (cut to size) with packing tape to prevent cracking, then roll the depron into a tube of the correct diameter. I then roll a piece of aluminium sheet 0.015" thick around the depron tube and hold in place with a couple of large hose clamps. The whole thing gets thrown into a 200 Deg F/90 C for 90 seconds and the stresses in the depron get relaxed. Take off the al sheet and glue the tube edges together and you have a really light nacelle. I'll try and find photos, its a long time ago since I came up with this approach.
For my current one, I'm doing the 6mm depron frames with balsa longerons just like your view 2. I have used 3mm depron for fuselages and it does work. I use sheets of flexible transparent plastic to lay over an area, then trace the shape I need on the plastic with a felt pen. Lay the plastic on the depron and cut out the shape with a little bit of margin to spare.
I use Uhu Creativ as a contact glue to lay each piece in place.
DO a search on threads I've started, Hunter, Mig 15, F-100, F6F, you should find photos on all of this.
Dec 13, 2013, 07:20 PM
fuelsguy, thanks for the detailed info on your builds

We both use similar techniques with building

I do the same rolling Depron but without the oven bit (I like that idea) I bought some MPF and I tend to use this for parts that need bending or rolling and it moulds a lot easier and no need for the tape backing ... just with I could get it over in wider pieces. ... 8" was the widest they reckon they could send ... By the way, MPF sands much easier (and nicer) too as it doesn't have the shiny skin that Depron has.

As you can probably see, I use Sketchup for designing and then I flatten all the parts for patterns and plans. ... I have (in the past) used the same technique as you do with the plastic sheet to make patterns.

I did use UHU Glue but now found Foam-Tac and use this on all my builds, it makes for a lot quicker build.

MIG15 is another of my favorites and it was a toss up whether to build this one or the MIG15 for my first EDF ... went with the ME-262 because it has 2 fans and I have a better chance of getting enough thrust to get it airborne.

Lockey
Dec 13, 2013, 08:39 PM
tripped over this thread in Warbirds.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2040623
Astounding what 'others' are doing. I certainly was.
Check out post 9 and watch the flying video in #10
Dec 13, 2013, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
tripped over this thread in Warbirds.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2040623
Astounding what 'others' are doing. I certainly was.
Check out post 9 and watch the flying video in #10
WOW ... there are some very clever guys out there

I like the idea of the printed paper covering, especially for war birds and the like ... I wonder how they are gluing the paper on and getting the paper around compound curves? ... maybe I should ask eh!

Lockey
Dec 14, 2013, 12:04 PM
Lockey,
You used the term MPF, can you elaborate? I can find Multi-purpose foam but don't really know what you are using.
I ordered some Foam-Tac based on your comments and a few others.

The paper on Depron technique looks really good and the results are great. His technique is similar to mine where I split the fuselage into sections where each section is a developable surface, i.e. you can roll a flat panel to get the shape.
There are plug-ins for Sketchup that will unroll a surface between two frames and give you the flat panel. The paper model world have been doing this for years. Try the site Mantaro recommended. Here in the States there is a site called Fiddlers-Green and they have lots of planes http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/
Dec 14, 2013, 02:09 PM
Retired CAD guy
It's a USA made foam that I offer on some of my cuttings.
The guys who run it are in Michigan , also where the Foam plant is .
They sell a 16 sheet box for $65 shipped INSIDE the USA

http://www.modelplanefoam.com/

Here is the "other" foam place with genuine Depron if your interested
http://www.rcfoam.com/

I use both sources.

Best

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service ( just google it )