Prandtl-d - Page 22 - RC Groups
May 01, 2017, 03:55 PM
Pile-it
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaen

The small ones yes, the larger ones are molded composite.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2017, 02:02 PM
Pile-it
The latest 25' span P-3c took to the air this morning for it's maiden flights. This one is all carbon & weighs 32 lbs (12 lbs lead ). It will now be integrated with with it's fiber optic, pressure sensing & air data probe payloads and continue with data flights later this month.
Jul 17, 2017, 02:40 PM
That's a pretty wing!
Jul 17, 2017, 03:13 PM
Old gasbag glider guy...
Looks really nice Red!
Jul 17, 2017, 03:17 PM
Pile-it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hinman
Looks really nice Red!
Thanks Stan, it flies really well!
Jul 17, 2017, 03:37 PM
Herk
Great News -- Always looking forward to more info from this project as it becomes available
Jul 17, 2017, 03:50 PM
Pile-it
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkS
Great News -- Always looking forward to more info from this project as it becomes available
Herk,

I believe that there is another paper in the woks that will go into more detail in the data that we've collected, as well as a couple other offshoot projects. There is a high altitude (100K+ feet) weather monitoring glider (60" ish wing span) and of course the smaller Mars plane. As will all of our cutting edge work, it comes at a glacial place, so no timeline attached Oh, and I've been flying a P prop as well, but no data yet.
Jul 17, 2017, 07:24 PM
Pro Hoarder
Super cool!
Jul 25, 2017, 02:31 PM
AMA L897187
I recently listened to this episode of the Omega Tau podcast. Marcus always does a nice job with this podcast and this one in particular dovetails quite nicely into our world. It caused me to start doing some research into the Prandtl wings. As a non engineer type some of this stuff takes me awhile to grasp. The math is way outside my whellhouse

http://omegataupodcast.net/256-fligh...rt-1-subscale/
Aug 05, 2017, 09:01 PM
Pile-it
The Mars offshoot of the PRANDTL technology is coming along well too. This one is 31" span, also hollow molded. It had its first flights earlier this week, flies real nice. This one suffers a bit from inertial coupling. Earlier versions taught us this after MOI testing, so this one has about 2.5oz of lead on the LE at the CG, plus a couple oz. in the nose. We have been using a roll stabilizer to help, but it will fly without it. Next steps are autopilot & GPS for high altitude balloon drops. Then I have to figure out how to fold it up to fit in a 6U cubesat enclosure lol.
Aug 05, 2017, 11:40 PM
Pro Hoarder
Man how do I get your job..Nice work
Aug 06, 2017, 12:40 AM
Pile-it
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
Man how do I get your job..Nice work
We are going to be hiring soon actually.......
Aug 09, 2017, 10:07 AM
Pile-it
Follow along today, ask a question. Might live stream a P-3 flight.

https://www.facebook.com/nasaarmstro...89199337807108
Aug 09, 2017, 10:23 AM
Will the video be recorded for later viewing as well?
Aug 09, 2017, 11:15 AM
Pile-it
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmtree
Will the video be recorded for later viewing as well?
Possibly, it sure how they're handling it.