Dec 12, 2013, 11:40 PM
Pile-it
Discussion

Prandtl-d

Thought you guys might like to see this:
Proving Prandtl- With A Twist! (8 min 8 sec)
Last edited by Alien_Tech; Dec 13, 2013 at 04:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2013, 12:15 AM
internet gadfly
Why, yes, yes we would. Do you have any idea when the tech report will be available?

--Norm
Dec 13, 2013, 01:47 AM
You know nothing....
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmasters
Why, yes, yes we would. Do you have any idea when the tech report will be available?

--Norm
I'm reliably informed said tech report will be available sometime next spring.This from an impeccable source.
Dec 13, 2013, 07:23 AM
Pile-it
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmasters

--Norm
The patent paperwork is in process. It will likely be early next year.
Dec 13, 2013, 07:24 AM
Pile-it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46
I'm reliably informed said tech report will be available sometime next spring.This from an impeccable source.
Interesting, you must have an inside track then?
Dec 13, 2013, 10:40 AM
internet gadfly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Tech
Interesting, you must have an inside track then?
I'm afraid that Stuart's source may not be as reliable as he thinks I am.
We'll fine out sometime next year.

--Norm
Dec 13, 2013, 12:35 PM
Pile-it
Lol...my source is pretty reliable too....
Dec 13, 2013, 05:35 PM
Quote:
The patent paperwork is in process. It will likely be early next year.
I can't believe NASA wouldn't release cut files here on the forum. Right?
Love the design. Somewhat reminiscent of the Colibri.
Dec 13, 2013, 06:15 PM
Pile-it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable
I can't believe NASA wouldn't release cut files here on the forum. Right?
Love the design. Somewhat reminiscent of the Colibri.
It can't really be hot wire cut because of the non linear twist. It's actually a Horten H Xc design.

If you want to see it in person, it will be at the AMA Expo next month, along with a presentation about it.
Dec 13, 2013, 07:12 PM
less is more
Quote:
It can't really be hot wire cut because of the non linear twist. It's actually a Horten H Xc design.

If you want to see it in person, it will be at the AMA Expo next month, along with a presentation about it.
I thought that I recognized that planform !

Kent
Last edited by Knoll53; Dec 13, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
Dec 13, 2013, 07:57 PM
Pile-it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53
Nice build!
Dec 13, 2013, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Sure can.. And has been done before, often. Actually Alfons was/is doing this for at east 10 years. Same model even.
He cut foam sections between each rib station.
Dec 13, 2013, 08:52 PM
Pile-it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
Sure can.. And has been done before, often. Actually Alfons was/is doing this for at east 10 years. Same model even.
He cut foam sections between each rib station.
He may have cut this planform, but not the non linear twist which is the difference between this and all of the other tailless designs. Did you watch the video? The only straight line on the entire plane is the hinge line. It's not something that can be cut with a hot wire.
Dec 13, 2013, 09:22 PM
Quote:
He may have cut this planform, but not the non linear twist which is the difference between this and all of the other tailless designs. Did you watch the video? The only straight line on the entire plane is the hinge line. It's not something that can be cut with a hot wire.
Bare has told you how to hotwire cut non-linear twist - cut lots of short linear twists and join them together.
Dec 13, 2013, 09:30 PM
Pile-it
Quote:
Originally Posted by slebetman
Bare has told you how to hotwire cut non-linear twist - cut lots of short linear twists and join them together.
I suppose if you want to cobble together a ton of tiny sections then you'd be better off building it up with traditional ribs, that could be done. Lots of hot wired sections will still leave you with straight lines between points. Sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it? I stand by my comment that this doesn't lend itself to hot wire construction.

Edit: If you CNC'd a female mold with a negative of the intended twist, weighted the core to conform to its shape, then hot wired it, that could work.
Last edited by Alien_Tech; Dec 13, 2013 at 09:42 PM.