Hobby Lobby International to Become Hobby Express

Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. buys brand name from Hobby Lobby International

Hobby Lobby is now Hobby Express.

Hobby Lobby International has sold it's name and is now Hobby Express.

Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. is a privately held retail craft chain that has more than 550 stores in 46 states. It was announced that it has acquired all of Hobby Lobby International’s interest in the trademarks and brand names “Hobby Lobby” and “Hobby Lobby International.”

The Hobby Lobby craft store chain and Hobby Lobby International RC company have co-existed and used the brand “Hobby Lobby” amicably for more than 40 years. After many years of growth of both parties the craft store has purchased the Hobby Lobby name to further distinguish the brands as e-commerce and social media continue to expand.

Hobby Lobby International was founded 50 years ago by RC electric enthusiast Jim Martin. As a former employee of HL I can attest to the large amount of phone calls received daily from people looking for the craft store that shares the same name. We also spent a good portion of the day telling confused looking crafters where the "other" Hobby Lobby store was located.

The RC based Hobby Lobby International will change its name to become Hobby Express and begin selling online at hobbyexpress.com.

“As my company celebrates our golden anniversary of the brand’s founding in 1964, it’s the right time to adjust the company name,” said Mark Cleveland, CEO of Hobby Lobby International, Inc., now Hobby Express. “What we won’t do is change our company image. We’re committed to continuing to serve the tens of thousands of customers who have shopped our store in person, through catalogue and online by continuing to offer innovative hobby products and exemplary customer service.”

Hobby Express will continue operating its store located in Brentwood, Tenn. and selling products online at the new URL of HobbyExpress.com.

Learn more about the name change at HobbyExpress.com

Dec 12, 2013, 08:38 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Well, that's a GOOD thing. Every time I Google the Hobby Lobby site I end up and the craft store and they provide a link to where I want to go. Great to see them work out a solution that works for both companies!

Sure beats Vic McDonald's restaurant, owned by Vic McDonald, in downtown New Smyrna Beach getting the pants sued off it by McDonalds Hamburgers claiming that Vic McDonald somehow stole his name from them and is confusing the public. <irony>How dare he use his own name for his restaurant! </irony> Heck, he served FOOD, McDonald's Hamburgers are something other than food, although technically they are edible and won't kill you. No confusion there at all.

The big money won and Vic McDonald's restaurant is no more. Makes me feel all warm, fuzzy and just raring to get a Big Mac. NOT!! Business by thuggery we don't need. Glad to see two companies modeling a better way that shows good will.
Dec 13, 2013, 04:42 AM
I want the old Hobby-Lobby back. Oh, how I miss all the German and Czech kits and cool hard to find hardware. There was nothing better than spending hours pouring through the Hobby-Lobby catalogues on a cold rainy night. Not meant as a negative post toward the new HL, as business has to change with the times to survive, I have just missed them for years now. We still have our memories though. Good luck to the new HE.
Dec 13, 2013, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj3cub
I want the old Hobby-Lobby back. Oh, how I miss all the German and Czech kits and cool hard to find hardware. There was nothing better than spending hours pouring through the Hobby-Lobby catalogues on a cold rainy night. Not meant as a negative post toward the new HL, as business has to change with the times to survive, I have just missed them for years now. We still have our memories though. Good luck to the new HE.
+1

I can get park zone anywhere else and do. I have not bought one thing from Hobby-whoever in a very long time...after they stopped stocking Alfa I think.

I don't care I don't use them anymore.....and that is a shame too.....I want a US Alfa place.
Dec 13, 2013, 09:10 AM
When I initially received the email announcing the name change, I was a bit confused because my favorite LHS is also called Hobby Express (http://www.hobbyexpressinc.com).
Dec 13, 2013, 10:17 AM
Serenity Now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj3cub
That's what made then unique. They filled a niche that no one in the US was supporting. I used to love those old catalogs as well.

As Dylan said. "the times, they are a changin' "
Dec 13, 2013, 10:21 AM
turn, turn, turn.
good, now Hobby Lobby can be known for its biased and bigoted Christian ideals... and remove any sort of affiliation from the RC store.
Dec 13, 2013, 10:32 AM
Kenny,

Maybe you should go look up Jim Martin and why the two companies were able to share the same name for decades w/o suing one another.

I admire Hobby Lobby.

Andy
Dec 13, 2013, 11:18 AM
Senile Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp
good, now Hobby Lobby can be known for its biased and bigoted Christian ideals... and remove any sort of affiliation from the RC store.
Just wondering who the bigot is here?

Larry
Dec 13, 2013, 11:59 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel
Just wondering who the bigot is here?

Larry
I say it because of their attitudes towards homosexuals and birth control.

but all that is really beside the point... The point being is that I won't get the two companies mixed up anymore.
that is a good thing.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:39 PM
3D Addict
Quote:
I say it because of their attitudes towards homosexuals and birth control.

but all that is really beside the point... The point being is that I won't get the two companies mixed up anymore.
that is a good thing.
It's people like you that give Massachusetts a bad image ... lighten up, go spew your ideology on a non hobby forum where it belongs, there are more of those than where you are right now.
Dec 13, 2013, 02:37 PM
Lou
Lou
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee
+1

I can get park zone anywhere else and do. I have not bought one thing from Hobby-whoever in a very long time...after they stopped stocking Alfa I think.
Yep ... that and a few other things drove me away. One being that after HL were sold they absolutely destroyed the web site. Despite multiple complaints about the site not much was done to fix it.

Those models you speak of were one of the things that differentiated HL from other companies ... and they threw it away.
Dec 13, 2013, 07:20 PM
[QUOTEIt's people like you that give Massachusetts a bad image ... lighten up, go spew your ideology on a non hobby forum where it belongs, there are more of those than where you are right now. ][/QUOTE]

Massaconnecticut has ever had a good name?

CD
Dec 13, 2013, 07:48 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
Quote:
Agreed. This can only be good for the RC store. The policies of that other company are absolutely atrocious. I stopped shopping there years ago.

Glad the Brentwood location is staying put. I'd hate to lose one of my primary hobby shops.
Dec 13, 2013, 08:41 PM
Culper Junior
It's my craft store of choice.

Quick Reply