This thread is privately moderated by dz1sfb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:16 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Idea

Mini H Quad Project

Been playing around with designing a mini H quad. After tracking the RD230, BAH Mini H Quad, and QAV 250, not to mention a few others, this is where I am headed in design.

This is most similar to the BAH design, but with some design tweaks that I would like to see and am building into the prototype.

1. Folding arms with positive stops and no slots for bolts to slide in or through.

2. Where possible M2 fasteners to be used. This reduces the mass in the fasteners by at least half. Prototype is using all M3 fasteners.

3. Less stylish shape on clean plates to trade for simpler and efficient use of materials.

4. Protoype is in .063" FR4 G10 material, though the clean plates may end up as carbon fiber. I want to get a functioning airframe first.

5. Distance across motor centers is 254mm (10").

6. Flight Controller used for this project is a MultiWii Lite, which has 35mm on center mounting holes. So it accommodates a number of FCs.

7. Intended mission of this design is for FPV, but not necessarily capturing video. Just to have fun and experience compact agile proximity flying.

8. Motors are Suppo style 1510 2200 Kv, Turnigy Plush 10A ESCs, and Gemfan 5 x 3 props. Intended battery is a 1300 mAh 2s or 3s battery.

9. FPV equipment is Fatshark 250mW 5.8 gHz VTX and 600 TVL camera as well.

Ken
Last edited by dz1sfb; Dec 12, 2013 at 07:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2013, 05:11 PM
Ken's CAD Models

More progress

Well I got all the plates done yesterday. Even opted for carbon arms over the G10 material. Switched to 1mm clean plates upper and lower as well. Attached are some pictures of the progress.

Experimented with waterjetting the G10. Initially it looked good, but then some of the parts had some delamination from the process. Also this material is very tough on cutters.

Moved to some carbon parts, but also need to learn some better machining techniques for this material as well.

I will likely switch the dirty plates from 1.5mm G10 to 1mm 3k carbon fiber as well.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Dec 14, 2013, 08:20 PM
Ken's CAD Models

Fasteners are in

Got started on the build as the fasteners got here this weekend.

Ken
Last edited by dz1sfb; Dec 15, 2013 at 05:35 AM.
Dec 15, 2013, 04:31 PM
Ken's CAD Models

All wired up and not quite ready to go.

Got my wiring completed this afternoon and weighed it with a 1000 mAh 2s battery, and she comes in at 13.3 oz. This is sans a FPV camera and mini osd.

Now I need to figure out the Multiwii board. This seems to be a problem, but we'll see for how long.

Ken
Dec 22, 2013, 06:06 PM
Looks super cool, quick question, what program did you use to create the 3D model?
Dec 22, 2013, 07:06 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoter368
Looks super cool, quick question, what program did you use to create the 3D model?
Google Sketchup V7.

Ken
Dec 27, 2013, 07:45 AM
BANDITRCN28
Ken I am very interested in this build so I am following this build.

Thanks for sharing!
Chris
Dec 27, 2013, 02:38 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Chris,
I will be happy to share the design here. Going to make some tweaks to it before it is finalized, waiting for some simonk flashed escs.

Ken
Mar 26, 2014, 08:13 AM
Ken's CAD Models

Upgraded to RCX 1804 motors and Simonk ESCs

Just finished updating to RCX motors and ESCs. What a difference!

Excited to put it through some testing now.

Ken
Sep 28, 2014, 01:19 PM
RC Adddict
Ken I've been resisting the mini quads for a while now, they look like a lot of fun though. From what I've read the cc3d and naze seem to be the most used FC's for them. Are you running 5.8 for video? I've started switching over to 1.2 for better penetration around obstacles. I like that you went fixed arms as I've never seen the benifit of folding , I mean these things are so small as is. For a US vendor whitespy quads seems to have decent prices on FC's as well although I haven't bought from them yet

Following along still trying to resist
Sep 28, 2014, 03:41 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Yea the folding arms are just kind of gimmicky. If you are interested, I have one more of these frames, that is just the main dirty part that I would pass along for a nominal cost. It is made from 3/32" G10.
Yes I am using 5.8.

Ken

Sep 29, 2014, 09:16 AM
RC Adddict
Thank you for the offer Ken. I just don't see myself having time anytime soon though. Kids are back in school, I've got a bunch of work related projects right now and Halloween is coming .
Jun 22, 2015, 09:57 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Got to run a test flight with a Mobius Action Camera mounted on this machine. I did not notice any jello effect, and am pleased with the results. I need to wedge the camera up on a slight angle though.

Ken

Mobius test on KCM Mini H-Quad (4 min 59 sec)