This thread is privately moderated by dz1sfb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 05, 2013, 09:18 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Build Log

Kens CAD Models J-Bug Kit

This build log has been a long time coming and hopefully will be helpful to those building my kit of JimmyJFlyer's J-Bug. This is a work in progress at this point.

Kits are available through my website at http://www.kenscadmodels.com/j-bug.html

Adhesives
- Bob Smith Ind. Foam Cure
- Thin CA

Tools Required

- Hobby Knife with #11 blade
- 1" wide Blue Painters Tape
- 8" Sanding Block with 100-150 grit paper

Written Directions

Recommended Sequence
1. Carbon Fiber Installation
- Install all carbon rods in foam parts except for wing rubber band dowels.

Tip - It is easier to leave the parts in their carrier sheets until needed. This protects the parts making handling easier and less chance of damage.

2. Fuselage Doublers
- Remove Pylon Doublers and Fuselage Spine Doublers from carrier sheets. These have corresponding cuts to allow fitting to one another. Glue one Pylon Doubler to one Fuselage Spine Doubler. Make 2, one right, and one left. These then get assembled to the vertical fuselage/pylon panel.

3. WIng Assembly
- Gently block sand the wing root on the preformed wing panels, just enough to provide a flat butt joint. Once accomplished, glue the wing joint and use a piece of tape to hold the joint together while the glue cures.

4. Firewall / Landing Gear Assembly
- Remove all necessary plywood parts from the laser cut sheet for the firewall and landing gear. I use CA glue to put these parts together.

5. Horizontal Fuselage Panel
- Install horizontal fuselage panel to main fuselage assembly. This is done by hooking the panel over the front of the pylon, moving rearward and flexing the panel to get over the rear of the pylon and moving forward again. Apply adhesive and press in position. Tape may be used for clamping purposes.

6. Wing Saddle Doublers
- Add wing saddle doublers with the carbon rod side facing inward. Fit parts flush for and aft and up and down to the pylon. There is extra material on the wing saddle side to allow for sanding that area to match dihedral on wing.

7. Landing Gear / Firewall Assembly
- Now install the landing gear/firewall assembly to the fuselage. Fuselage needs to notched in front to accept the landing gear wire. Sand front of fuselage to make the front face even with the horizontal fuselage panel. This creates a tight glue surface and is one of the most crucial joints in the entire airframe. 3 degrees downthrust and 2 degrees right thrust is built into the assembly.

8. Wing Hold Down Tubes
- Install the carbon tube (3mm) to pylon. The long one is for the rear and the shorter one for the front. Add glue and install.

9. Fuselage Lower Panels
- Fuselage now requires beveling edges of vertical, horizontal panels, and firewall edges to provide glue joint surfaces for the lower side panels. The lower side panels require a little fitting at the firewall and clearance the the landing gear wire, and a small bevel where it overlaps the lower vertical stabilizer.

10. Pushrod Guide, Control Horns, and Horizontal Tail
Install control horns, pushrod guide and horizontal tail to fuselage assembly.

11. Servos, ESC, and Receiver
Add servos (5g shown, but smaller may by used). Receiver shown in front of pylon. Battery goes here. Generally the esc mounts directly ahead of one servo and the receiver ahead of the other. All gear is exposed.

12. Motor, Battery, Pushrods, Center of Gravity
Just add pushrods, motor and battery, check the CG and go. CG is at the high point of the airfoil or 1/3 of chord back from leading edge.
Last edited by dz1sfb; Nov 20, 2016 at 08:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2013, 03:00 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP

Plans are here

Most issues seem to be addressed. Will add as needed.

Ken

Plans added 23-NOV-2016
Last edited by dz1sfb; Nov 23, 2016 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Added plans
Dec 18, 2013, 01:28 AM
My dog ate my airplane
Ken,

Thanks for all the great images showing the various steps of the build, it really makes things easy to understand, and thanks for a great kit too.

Scott
Jul 18, 2014, 06:57 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Be sure to visit and respond to this thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post28949353

It is imperative,
Ken
Sep 30, 2016, 12:16 PM
Since the kit is not available due to a materials shortage, do you have drawings for your J bug so those of us who do have 3mm depron can build one?

Thanks
Nov 20, 2016, 08:26 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
I have not produced a plans set for this one , but looks like I might have to. Can't promise when, as I have a couple of projects in the wings already to be finished.

I do have one kit left that I will reluctantly part with. PM me if interested and I'll shoot out a PayPal invoice. Same price as currently listed.

Ken
Nov 21, 2016, 07:57 AM
That is very generous Ken and I thank you. However I think I will continue with my newly cut fuselage and the parts you have already sent me.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
Nov 21, 2016, 10:35 AM
Crazy Canuck
Thank you Ken, sent money for it. I certainly love this J Bug. hope there's some 3mm foaam available soon so you can continue to make these lovely kits.
Nov 23, 2016, 09:07 PM
Thanks Ken and Happy Thanksgiving

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Quick Reply