Yea

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
to remove ads between posts
Apr 29, 2016, 06:15 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanhead
.....my computer must not be compatible even though it is windows 7 based
There could easily be something wrong with your GPS, as there was with one of mine. Sometimes it wouldn't turn on and sometimes it wouldn't turn off. Sometimes it would only work on external power to the jack. Sometimes it gave the failed UART message and then worked after a couple of tries. It took some doing but I finally talked them into replacing it, and the new one works fine.

At this point I'm still thinking yours might be a computer issue. You say it's Win 7 "based". Are you running it in a shell?

One thing I've found with external devices in general, is that they are usually easier to set up on XP than on Win 7. W7 has a habit of updating drivers without telling you, and sometimes the new ones don't work. If you have access to an XP machine, I would suggest giving that a try.
Apr 29, 2016, 09:22 PM
I did try an xp computer, but the software didn't load right then I found the software is for Windows 7 or 10 only

Apr 30, 2016, 09:08 AM
Where does it say it's for 7 and 10 only? I didn't see that when I downloaded the program.
Apr 30, 2016, 01:35 PM
I forget where I seen it, on the download page I believe, I also tried the software from horizon for the dynamite brand gps, the software is the same but it don't work in there either, a club member has the dynamite version, I'm going to see if he can hook mine up to his software on his computer

Apr 30, 2016, 03:10 PM
Good luck and I hope it works out on your friend's computer. The driver for this device is called "Silicon Lab CP210x USB to UART Bridge". A folder called "Silabs" is created in C:\Program Files, and the driver is located there.

It does work on XP, so the information you saw was incorrect.
Apr 30, 2016, 04:09 PM
ok...it might have been the horizon version was win 7 based....if it dont work i quess i will just have to convert kph to mph
May 02, 2016, 04:57 PM
Finally got it to switch, used a xp computer and it worked

May 04, 2016, 10:19 PM
Does the battery cover just pry off or does it slide off? Also, has anyone found an easy way to get Google Earth to display tracks instead of pushpins? A help file would be nice but that is asking too much.
May 04, 2016, 10:21 PM
PS The software seems to work fine with Win7 and 10. At least on my old PC and laptop.
May 10, 2016, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plan0bill
Does the battery cover just pry off or does it slide off? Also, has anyone found an easy way to get Google Earth to display tracks instead of pushpins? A help file would be nice but that is asking too much.
It's easy for somebody with basic programming skills or someone good with Excel, but not so easy for everybody else. The KML file can be edited with Notepad or any text editor. If you really want, you can extract the coordinates one by one using copy and paste, like my flying buddy did. Those coordinates can then be used to create a new KML file which will display properly in Google Earth. No programming knowledge is required to do that, but it takes time.

We each ended up with our own solution. I used C++ to write a basic utility, and he used UNIX commands. That GPSlogger program is hopeless in so many ways, and they really need to fix it.

Good to hear it works on 7 and 10, thanks.
May 11, 2016, 06:59 AM
I found a sample KML file that had the display I wanted and extracted 10 minutes worth of coordinates from a glider flight and substituted them in the sample file. The results were acceptable but what a pain! I tried the firmware update without success using Win 7. I never could get the UPDATE button to change contrast. Any suggestions along those lines? I must admit the "wire diagram" of a glider flight finding lift and climging is spectacular on GE.
May 13, 2016, 07:29 AM
Good show.. now you're a KML editor! If you know somebody who is a wiz with Excel they might be able to make up a spreadsheet that would do the grunt work.

It's only one click for me, so if you have a long file that you really like, post it and I will convert it for you.
May 14, 2016, 06:43 AM
Thanks Jovanx, I will keep that in mind. I wish I could decipher the UPDATE problem. I wonder it Win7 interrupting the process to ask for permission is the problem.
May 14, 2016, 12:19 PM
I don't have it installed on my Win 7 comp, but on XP if I run the program and go to the configuration screen the "Updata" button is active, even though the GPS is not connected. It says "not set time zone" as well, but that's to be expected.

When I plug in the cable nothing changes, but if I exit the configuration screen and bring it back up, it recognizes the time zone and the Updata button remains active. It was several months ago but I remember that a message came up saying the upgrade was successful. I don't want to try doing it again in case something goes wrong. The instructions say "If the upgrade fails, please go back to the first step and try again", so they know it's flaky.

You're right about the wire diagram of a sailplane flight. It looks awesome in GE, and makes all the hassles worthwhile. You can split the lines into separate files, or separate them within one file. That lets you have different colors for up-lines and down-lines, and makes it easier to do calculations of L/D ratios, climb times, etc.

Quick Reply