Dec 05, 2013, 05:09 PM
RickRoh
Thread OP
Help!

SkyRC GSM-010 GPS Speed Meter

I have a question regarding the SkyRC GSM-010 GPS Speed Tracker. In all of its advertising and in its instruction sheet it states "You can use the SkyRC application software 'GPSLogger' to transfer the log data to PC and easily export the log data to 'Google Earth.' Please visit Google Earth website for more information."

My question is, has anybody ever successfully transferred the SkyRC GSM-010 data log to Google Earth? I've wasted hours pouring through the Google Earth website; searching the internet; downloading GPS data conversion software and unsuccessfully attempting to translate the SkyRC GPS data log into ANY format that Google Earth will import. After several days, I've yet to make a successful transfer.

Has anybody successfully used data from the SkyRC product in Google Earth? The product has been around for awhile, but I've never seen any RC user having posted a Google Earth "fly over" or animation using the SkyRC GPS data. If this can be done as "easily" as the Sky RC advertising says, can somebody please clarify how it is done? Your help is appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2013, 02:53 PM
RickRoh
Thread OP

Got an answer...

FYI, all y'all, I got an answer from the good folks at CommonSenseRC. It had to do with the ol' top secret undocumented right-click trick. Here's what they sent:

"In the GPS Logger software your "trips" are shown in a table at the right of the screen. If you right click on one of those trips there will be an option to "SaveToKML". Click that, save your file and then open Google Earth, go to File > Open > Select File. Google Earth can read .kml files and should load the data points from your trip when you open it."

The KML file didn't provide exactly what I was hoping for - it plots a series of "waypoints" along the route rather than an actual track. But, I'm hoping with some spelunking with Google Earth I can find a way to "connect the dots."

I hope this helps others who may have been frustrated.
Jan 16, 2015, 08:47 PM
Suspended Account
any updates?
Apr 14, 2015, 02:11 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
This is a good little machine but the PC software is hopeless. I ended up writing a program that could convert the waypoint KML file into a track file that shows as a line in Google Earth. It would be possible to do it manually using Notepad and Excel. Trying to view the line using the supplied program is an exercise in frustration.

For this price I would have expected better software, but on the positive side at least it does log coordinates. Many of the other speed meters just keep track of the maximum speed and altitude.
Jul 16, 2015, 10:35 PM
Did I make the A Main?
I just got one and was led to believe that it measures speed in MPH, however it's defaulted to KPH and the instructions don't make any mention of MPH, yet I can see MPH as an option on the LED screen. By any chance do you know how to switch from KPH to MPH?
Jul 30, 2015, 06:13 PM
KPH MPH
With your meter connected to the computer open the software and CONFIG from the top heading. In the box that opens you will see Meter (KPH) and Imperial (MPH) as options at the top of the box with KPH as the default setting. Simply select Imperial and hit save a view lines down and your meter will now record in MPH. Programs stay in the format they were recorded in so KPH records stay KPH and MPH stay MPH. Mike H
Jul 30, 2015, 11:16 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Ah... I see it listed now under the list of features in the instructions under the section for "GPSLOGGER SOFTWARE"

Quote:
Change Metric and Imperial system of measurement
I just installed the software and made the change to read MPH without any issue.

Thank you very much Micheal
Mar 15, 2016, 02:17 PM
Hello, I'd like some help making my newly purchased skyrc gsm 010 if you wouldn't mind. Thank you in advance
Apr 24, 2016, 07:15 PM
killickb
Your first post so I hope you do receive some responses. Sad to say I have had mine for months now and never have got it to work reliably, today I cannot even get the software to load.
Apr 25, 2016, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by killickb
Your first post so I hope you do receive some responses. Sad to say I have had mine for months now and never have got it to work reliably, today I cannot even get the software to load.
Can you give more details about the troubles you are having. I had one that didn't work right and had to send it back. Maybe your unit works fine but there is a computer issue of some kind.

Today I finally figured out how to change the time zone. It simply uses whatever time your computer is set to. You can temporarily change the time zone on your computer and then send that to the GPS.
Apr 27, 2016, 02:20 PM
I can't get the software to work...im running windows 7 and everytime i open the gps logger and try to change to imperial i get a Get uart failed error message
Last edited by Trojanhead; Apr 27, 2016 at 02:37 PM.
Apr 28, 2016, 10:52 AM
Is there a trick to getting the software to work, I get a error message, get uart failed when trying to read or change from kph to mph

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Apr 29, 2016, 06:50 AM
Did you go through the "Upgrade" process where you remove the battery and plug in the cable with a button pressed? Maybe it's some kind of bug fix.

Other than not being able to change configurations, does it do it's basic job? Will it log data and download to the computer?
Apr 29, 2016, 01:07 PM
yea i tried the upgrade process when i hit updata from the config screen i get the same get uart failed error......my computer must not be compatible even though it is windows 7 based
Apr 29, 2016, 02:39 PM
Do you get the same message if you forget the config screen and go straight to File / Read?

Quick Reply