Thread Tools
Dec 06, 2013, 09:35 AM
Middle Aged Kid
Lantz's Avatar
Im not sure if it will or not? it depends on where you look. here;s Atlanta Hobby's info on the P2
Any idea why they show "On Screen Real Time Flight Parameters"







Source:

Atlanta Hobby
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2013, 10:07 AM
$#|+
mkmkmk13's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantz
Im not sure if it will or not? it depends on where you look. here;s Atlanta Hobby's info on the P2
Any idea why they show "On Screen Real Time Flight Parameters"

Source:

Atlanta Hobby
I'm sure they are just using the vision's marketing material...

So I'm in the market for a new quad, I normally build my own frames and assemble my own quad but my shopping list includes
Naza v2 $370 and zenmuse gimbal $370 = $740
So for $130 more I get an RTF quad with a battery, tx/rx

It does look tempting
Dec 06, 2013, 10:55 AM
floyd
wxrc's Avatar
I really like the idea of being able to see exactly what the camera sees with the Vision version. If you convert the H3-2D to fog, would you see what the camera sees or just a straight ahead view. I'm ready to buy but am just soooo confused.

Floyd
Dec 06, 2013, 11:01 AM
Forensic Animation/Video/Photo
vislaw's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxrc
I really like the idea of being able to see exactly what the camera sees with the Vision version. If you convert the H3-2D to fog, would you see what the camera sees or just a straight ahead view. I'm ready to buy but am just soooo confused.

Floyd
The last time I converted the H3-2D to fog I couldn't see anything ...

Ha ha ... I assume you meant FOV? ... I fly GoPros with H3-2D gimbals on Phantom 1s and the Vision. I see what the camera sees so it is very useful for framing shots as it has a full range of tilt (unlike the Vision camera).

Of course, fog is a different story. ....
Dec 06, 2013, 11:09 AM
floyd
wxrc's Avatar
Auto- correct :-\

I meant FPV
Dec 06, 2013, 11:24 AM
Z06 Tony's Avatar

Phantom 2 Available for pre-order @ Rc-drones


We now have the Phantom 2 available for pre-order.

http://rc-drones.com/dji-phantom2-RTFl.php

Also the Phantom 2 + Zenmuse combo for only $200 more:

http://rc-drones.com/dji-phantom2-wgimbal.php
Dec 06, 2013, 12:21 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by vislaw
The last time I converted the H3-2D to fog I couldn't see anything ...

Ha ha ... I assume you meant FOV? ... I fly GoPros with H3-2D gimbals on Phantom 1s and the Vision. I see what the camera sees so it is very useful for framing shots as it has a full range of tilt (unlike the Vision camera).

Of course, fog is a different story. ....
Vislaw & Tahoe Ed,

you're saying that it's totally doable to have a P2 with a GoPro and gimbal and have all the same capabilities as a P2V as long as you install the iOSD mini or iOSD MK II and have a video down link?

As a newbie to quads, how hard would this be to do, and what would an approximate cost be?

Thanks for all your help and info!
Dec 06, 2013, 12:38 PM
Registered User
ilkevinli's Avatar
The only thing with that setup would be if there is any video delay. I know the vision has little to no delay.



Quote:
Originally Posted by akphotog
Vislaw & Tahoe Ed,

you're saying that it's totally doable to have a P2 with a GoPro and gimbal and have all the same capabilities as a P2V as long as you install the iOSD mini or iOSD MK II and have a video down link?

As a newbie to quads, how hard would this be to do, and what would an approximate cost be?

Thanks for all your help and info!
Dec 06, 2013, 12:43 PM
Registered User
So happy I sent my phantom 1 back I had V1.1.1 ... I got it on the 6th of November from B&H. I returned it and all the gear I got for it. I felt it was stupid to get the first phantom knowing the 2 was coming out soon. I'll just wait on B&H to do pre-orders. No one match their customer service !!!
Dec 06, 2013, 01:27 PM
Forensic Animation/Video/Photo
vislaw's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by akphotog
Vislaw & Tahoe Ed,

you're saying that it's totally doable to have a P2 with a GoPro and gimbal and have all the same capabilities as a P2V as long as you install the iOSD mini or iOSD MK II and have a video down link?

As a newbie to quads, how hard would this be to do, and what would an approximate cost be?

Thanks for all your help and info!
It depends on what you mean by "same capabilities" ... I much prefer the information available via the iOSD mini than the iPhone/Android app. Beginners, though may much prefer the Vision because it is simple and has additional benefits such as switching camera mode in flight etc.

For me it is essential to be able to take a straight down shot. You cannot do this with the Vision without hacking a shim of some sort that tilts the camera and even then you'll be giving up straight ahead if you shim the mount to look straight down.

I prefer a standard FPV setup which has no camera lag. The VISION has some lag and a reduced frame rate that I don't like. I also much prefer controlling the gimbal with a knob or lever as opposed to the wonky on-screen control of the VISION app.

The VISION has less range than the P2.

The VISION does have the "radar" function that some people like.

If you want it, you can put the groundstation software on a P2 and use your iPad or laptop to have functions that include waypoints, gps data etc. etc.

The P2 makes it quite simple to add a video transmitter. I recommend getting the bundle that gives you the gimbal so that you have everything but the GoPro, the video transmitter and a receiver. The GoPro is going to be $250 to $300 if you shop around and the video transmitter/receiver/monitor is going to run you under $200 if you shop wisely. If you want goggles and want to save money get the FatSharks for under $300. If you have money get the Zeiss Cinemizers for $700.
Dec 06, 2013, 02:27 PM
Registered User
laselvasurf's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vislaw
The P2 is basically a Phantom with the Smart Battery & PV props. Thus, you get the extended flight times. You don't get the WiFi extender and iPhone/iPad/Android app. but, instead, you have 2.4 control which is much more distance and reliability than the PV. ... The P2 has built-in connectors for the Zenmuse gimbal and also AV ports for FPV. For basic FPV just add a transmitter and receiver and you're good to go. ... If you want ground station capability you can add the datalink with iPad support or just use a laptop. ... I converted my PV to carry a Zenmuse and added a Spektrum transmitter/receiver with a 200mw transmitter. Works like a champ and I get 15 minutes flight with 20% left on the battery. The P2 with gimbal should do much better (17 to 20 is my guess).
That's great to hear! Looking forward to seeing how the P2 does!
Dec 06, 2013, 03:13 PM
Suspended Account
B&H is now taking pre-orders for the P2 and the P2 with Zenmuse. As I already have 2 original Phantoms with gimbals,I see no real reason to upgrade at this time.
Dec 06, 2013, 05:38 PM
Forensic Animation/Video/Photo
vislaw's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntpixel
B&H is now taking pre-orders for the P2 and the P2 with Zenmuse. As I already have 2 original Phantoms with gimbals,I see no real reason to upgrade at this time.
For me the extended flight time was more than worth it. I was only getting something like 7 minutes flying my H3-2D with GoPro on my original Phantom. If you can get done what you need in that window then there isn't much reason to switch. However, for me to be able to move a gimbal to the P2 and have 17 to 20 minutes flight time is more than worth the $670.

A good friend and I spent five weeks flying Phantoms in Switzerland and France this fall and the limited flight time was the only real negative from the experience. So, its a no-brainer for me that the investment is worth it.

We took the Phantoms because of the form factor that let us carry everything in a backpack and the P2 keeps that advantage while tremendously extending flight time.
Dec 06, 2013, 06:17 PM
Middle Aged Kid
Lantz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vislaw
For me the extended flight time was more than worth it. I was only getting something like 7 minutes flying my H3-2D with GoPro on my original Phantom. If you can get done what you need in that window then there isn't much reason to switch. However, for me to be able to move a gimbal to the P2 and have 17 to 20 minutes flight time is more than worth the $670.

A good friend and I spent five weeks flying Phantoms in Switzerland and France this fall and the limited flight time was the only real negative from the experience. So, its a no-brainer for me that the investment is worth it.

We took the Phantoms because of the form factor that let us carry everything in a backpack and the P2 keeps that advantage while tremendously extending flight time.
That sounds like it would have been a blast!

Good points.
Dec 06, 2013, 06:18 PM
Middle Aged Kid
Lantz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony
We now have the Phantom 2 available for pre-order.

http://rc-drones.com/dji-phantom2-RTFl.php

Also the Phantom 2 + Zenmuse combo for only $200 more:

http://rc-drones.com/dji-phantom2-wgimbal.php
Tony do you have any info on this pre-release to help clear up what the P2 comes with?

So i'm order FPV stuff to put in the P2, already have a GoPro 3+ Black

IOSD Mini



Need some advice on my choices, leaning towards the Boscam 5.8g 600mw 32CH FPV Wirless AV Tx & Rx Set TS832 and RC832



Putting the ImmersionRC 5.8GHz Circular Polarized spiroNet Antenna on it.



Not sure what monitor to get? maybe this one? Fieldview 888 TFT LCD 8" HD FPV Monitor with Backlight



And a battery for the receiver. Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 30C Lipo Pack



Any suggestions or opinions are welcome.
Last edited by Lantz; Dec 06, 2013 at 06:33 PM.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product DJI Phantom 2 Vision ***Owners Thread*** blade strike Multirotor Drone Talk 11668 Mar 30, 2018 04:57 PM