DJI Phantom 2 ***Owners Thread*** - Page 3 - RC Groups
Dec 04, 2013, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vislaw
The P2 is basically a Phantom with the Smart Battery & PV props. Thus, you get the extended flight times. You don't get the WiFi extender and iPhone/iPad/Android app. but, instead, you have 2.4 control which is much more distance and reliability than the PV. ... The P2 has built-in connectors for the Zenmuse gimbal and also AV ports for FPV. For basic FPV just add a transmitter and receiver and you're good to go. ... If you want ground station capability you can add the datalink with iPad support or just use a laptop. ... I converted my PV to carry a Zenmuse and added a Spektrum transmitter/receiver with a 200mw transmitter. Works like a champ and I get 15 minutes flight with 20% left on the battery. The P2 with gimbal should do much better (17 to 20 is my guess).
So knowing this it should be pretty doable without too much extra $$ to get the P2 to have a better gimbal, do FPV, and do a ground station for framing stills?

If you had to estimate what would the extra equipment needed to do this cost sans the camera?

Thanks for the info!!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2013, 10:08 PM
Forensic Animation/Video/Photo
Quote:
Originally Posted by akphotog
So knowing this it should be pretty doable without too much extra $$ to get the P2 to have a better gimbal, do FPV, and do a ground station for framing stills?

If you had to estimate what would the extra equipment needed to do this cost sans the camera?

Thanks for the info!!
You can get the P2 with Zenmuse gimbal for $869.99. That means you just need to add a transmitter and FPV receiver/monitor. If you wanna do goggles get the FatSharks for the best bang for buck IMHO. ... If you wanna do a monitor you can find a transmitter/receiver/monitor combo for under $200 easily.
Dec 04, 2013, 10:11 PM
^^^ thanks again! This is great!

My goal is P2 with a better camera!
Dec 04, 2013, 10:17 PM
Enterprise Support - 107
The P2 with 2.4gHz Rx and the ability to mount a H3-2D is huge. If the prerelease specs are correct and it has can bus support for iOSD that is a deal sealer for me. I have preordered one and should have it shortly.
Latest blog entry: DJI Goggles RE x OcuSync videos
Dec 04, 2013, 10:37 PM
^^ keep us posted Ed cause if that's what it is then that is the kicker for me too.
Dec 05, 2013, 09:29 AM
Middle Aged Kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed
The P2 with 2.4gHz Rx and the ability to mount a H3-2D is huge. If the prerelease specs are correct and it has can bus support for iOSD that is a deal sealer for me. I have preordered one and should have it shortly.
Where did you order yours from Ed? BTW looking forward to seeing Tahoe in the videos.
Dec 05, 2013, 11:29 AM
Always Excel >>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed
Ed, I'm waiting for more specs on P2 as well. Please share your [valuable] findings here in this thread. I wonder how many minutes flight time without gimbal and camera.
Dec 05, 2013, 01:37 PM
Benhayat flight times should be very close to the vision depending on what you have hooked up (gimbal or not).
Dec 05, 2013, 02:03 PM
Middle Aged Kid
I emailed DJI In hopes they will give me some info on how this version comes to us, I really need to know whats needed so It's all here for a Real Estate presentation I have coming up so maybe they will ans a few "whats in the box" questions.
Dec 05, 2013, 02:56 PM
From what I have heard DJI isn't the best at getting back to people. It's too bad really because your question is simple enough. I'm pretty sure they made the decision of what's going in the box along time ago.
Dec 05, 2013, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdnyfish
I just called Atlanta hobby and they said the coupon is only good for the Phantom Vision Not the Phantom 2
I don't think that is correct.
If you go to the DJI site and click on your account and coupon,it just say you have $150.00 discount for any user who bought the Phantom.

Coupon Detail

Related Promotion

Name

Description

Start Date

End Date

phantom

150$ discount for any user who bought the phantom

2013-12-11

2016-12-01

History
Dec 05, 2013, 03:56 PM
Middle Aged Kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by akphotog
From what I have heard DJI isn't the best at getting back to people. It's too bad really because your question is simple enough. I'm pretty sure they made the decision of what's going in the box along time ago.
Yeah from what Dronefly told me they are already on there way from China, just dont know how long that will take.
Dec 05, 2013, 11:10 PM
Thanks Mark - for us newbies who want the Vision's telemetry (battery status, warnings, "find my phantom," altitude, distance, etc.) with the Zenmuse's smoothness and GoPro's better stills (excepting RAW files) and video quality - would the ground station provide that? Is there additional hardware needed for the iPad datalink (or macbook)? Any chance you can specify which FPV transmitter/receiver/battery/screen/sunshade combo would be the best RTF option (ie, no soldering, etc.)? You seem to give back a great deal to this forum, thank you.
Dec 06, 2013, 08:45 AM
Enterprise Support - 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogden
Thanks Mark - for us newbies who want the Vision's telemetry (battery status, warnings, "find my phantom," altitude, distance, etc.) with the Zenmuse's smoothness and GoPro's better stills (excepting RAW files) and video quality - would the ground station provide that? Is there additional hardware needed for the iPad datalink (or macbook)? Any chance you can specify which FPV transmitter/receiver/battery/screen/sunshade combo would be the best RTF option (ie, no soldering, etc.)? You seem to give back a great deal to this forum, thank you.
It would be nice to have it all. But the P2V has the telemetry via iOS and the P2 does not unless you install the iOSD mini or iOSD MK II and have a video down link.
Latest blog entry: DJI Goggles RE x OcuSync videos
Dec 06, 2013, 09:27 AM
ENTERPRISE SUPPORT / 107 Cert.
Ok guys, I have some bad news on my conversion. I received my Phantom v1.1.1 Fasst rx yesterday and I hit a brick wall that I don't feel comfortable taking down. The main issue is where the bind button is located on the RX. If you just flex the board a hair the bind button hits the battery housing. Pretty much a deal breaker for me. I would not want it going into bind mode during flight I could probably come up with a different mounting location than stock but wanted to do a no-mod conversion, so I could convert back to the Vision at anytime.

I could install a 3rd party rx, but the whole idea was to keep this a complete DJI build. So until the Phantom 2 rx is available this is on hold. By then I will have probably already ordered a p2
Latest blog entry: DJI Battery Station (tb50)

Quick Reply