Thread Tools
Apr 16, 2018, 01:17 AM
Registered User
Mudslide's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenseaships
Thank you! Yes, I've grown accustomed to the surging and as I noticed it does not adversely effect the flying, I have become comfortable. I will try your suggestions about calibrating next time I'm out with her!
By the way...I don't know why the bird in the video makes separate sounds. The chime is normal for a battery being turned on. The sound that you described as a bass sound has never occurred with my craft or batteries. I have no idea what that is. A knock-off battery perhaps?

Anyway, yours is normal as you described it. Now...GO FLY!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2018, 05:54 AM
Firepower
Firepower's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by helinor
There is no calibration needed on the DJI ESCs...
Thanks for the information. Motors are in the right place and turning the correct way with the correct props on? It tips over on racing quads if you do not calibrate the props.

Anyone know where I should look as it just tips over backwards before it leaves the ground?
Apr 16, 2018, 10:10 AM
Registered User
Mudslide's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower
Thanks for the information. Motors are in the right place and turning the correct way with the correct props on? It tips over on racing quads if you do not calibrate the props.

Anyone know where I should look as it just tips over backwards before it leaves the ground?
Do all props spin up normally when idling? If you hold the craft and rev the motors...can you tell something strange happening? If you are just asking a hypothetical question...then no...it will not tip over.

I'm not sure what you mean by calibrating the props. If you mean balancing...it helps for smooth AP but should not at all cause your bird to tip over on takeoff. That would more likely be a motor issue. Make sure all props are on tight and aren't broken/bent badly.

The Phantom is a smooth flying bird. It's a great aerial photography craft...not so much racing. (Tho' it will hit 45 mph.)
Apr 16, 2018, 10:41 AM
Back to Boats
greenseaships's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide
By the way...I don't know why the bird in the video makes separate sounds. The chime is normal for a battery being turned on. The sound that you described as a bass sound has never occurred with my craft or batteries. I have no idea what that is. A knock-off battery perhaps?

Anyway, yours is normal as you described it. Now...GO FLY!
THANK YOU! The extra beeps happen after the first long (series of beeps) when he first turns it on at 1:30 in that video. But again, whatever because without those extra beeps mine is working so yeah. Maybe knockoff battery/radio?
Apr 16, 2018, 01:40 PM
Plus Pilot
Jumanoc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower
Thanks for the information. Motors are in the right place and turning the correct way with the correct props on? It tips over on racing quads if you do not calibrate the props.

Anyone know where I should look as it just tips over backwards before it leaves the ground?
Double check that you have not set the "MANUAL" (acro) mode in your sticks, using DJI software (connecting Phantom to USB - Computer)
Apr 16, 2018, 09:51 PM
Firepower
Firepower's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide
Do all props spin up normally when idling? If you hold the craft and rev the motors...can you tell something strange happening? If you are just asking a hypothetical question...then no...it will not tip over.

I'm not sure what you mean by calibrating the props. If you mean balancing...it helps for smooth AP but should not at all cause your bird to tip over on takeoff. That would more likely be a motor issue. Make sure all props are on tight and aren't broken/bent badly.

The Phantom is a smooth flying bird. It's a great aerial photography craft...not so much racing. (Tho' it will hit 45 mph.)
All props spin up normally when idling. My mate held it above his head and I revved it a lot and all seemed good but just a little bit of tipping back.

The attachment is what you must do for the racing quads to get the props spinning evenly when accelerating and a lot of times not as easily as in the video. A lot I have had to plug each ESC into the RX individually and do it that way as in the video.

Naze32 ESC calibration - Baseflight GUI (0 min 45 sec)


It just lifts the front off the ground and tips back with the rear on the ground when taking off.

Thanks
Apr 16, 2018, 10:04 PM
Firepower
Firepower's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumanoc
Double check that you have not set the "MANUAL" (acro) mode in your sticks, using DJI software (connecting Phantom to USB - Computer)
I only recently started looking at it for a mate who wrecked some motors with too long of screws so have not tried the DJI software yet.

He would not have loaded the software to change anything and he has had it flying so should not be in acro. As it just tips back on take off which can be counteracted by pushing the stick forward but you can not fly like that, I just thought I would adjust the joystick trims on the transmitter but there are not any so there must be something in the software to do trim adjustments?

I'll keep working on it.

Thanks
Apr 17, 2018, 01:24 AM
Registered User
Mudslide's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower
All props spin up normally when idling. My mate held it above his head and I revved it a lot and all seemed good but just a little bit of tipping back.

The attachment is what you must do for the racing quads to get the props spinning evenly when accelerating and a lot of times not as easily as in the video. A lot I have had to plug each ESC into the RX individually and do it that way as in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjLJ...tbChannel=null

It just lifts the front off the ground and tips back with the rear on the ground when taking off.

Thanks
Thanks for this. It has been so long since I've been into the P2 APP that I don't recall if there is anything similar.
Apr 17, 2018, 07:15 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Repaid1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower
I only recently started looking at it for a mate who wrecked some motors with too long of screws so have not tried the DJI software yet.

He would not have loaded the software to change anything and he has had it flying so should not be in acro. As it just tips back on take off which can be counteracted by pushing the stick forward but you can not fly like that, I just thought I would adjust the joystick trims on the transmitter but there are not any so there must be something in the software to do trim adjustments?

I'll keep working on it.

Thanks
It's been quite a bit since I have used the DJI software for the P2 but I am almost certain the transmitter trims/Cal is in that software. I was doing work on a friends that went down in a field and switched 2 motors and ESCs, I know that I had to reset the Calibration of the sticks for straight lift off as well, I would give the software a look and see if that isn't the problem. Can't hurt at this point.
Apr 17, 2018, 01:29 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
DWA's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
It's been quite a bit since I have used the DJI software for the P2 but I am almost certain the transmitter trims/Cal is in that software. I was doing work on a friends that went down in a field and switched 2 motors and ESCs, I know that I had to reset the Calibration of the sticks for straight lift off as well, I would give the software a look and see if that isn't the problem. Can't hurt at this point.
Yeah it has been a long time for me too, but I am sure you are correct.

Dave
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber Bird
Apr 21, 2018, 05:46 AM
Firepower
Firepower's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
It's been quite a bit since I have used the DJI software for the P2 but I am almost certain the transmitter trims/Cal is in that software. I was doing work on a friends that went down in a field and switched 2 motors and ESCs, I know that I had to reset the Calibration of the sticks for straight lift off as well, I would give the software a look and see if that isn't the problem. Can't hurt at this point.
Thanks I'll load the software next and check it out and on youtube.

Just going a bit slow at the moment my two Win10 PCs now get the black screen after the update last week. I got my wife's PC going again but have to push the button to turn it off or it will update and crash again.

My PC I can sign on but get the black screen but can do Alt, Ctrl & Del and load Google Chrome only at the moment. I have tried everything with a Recovery Disk but no luck. I have a perfect image to reinstall on the hard drive but can not get to it. Guess I might reinstall Win 10 tonight but have to load Win8.1 first I think but will check first. That is because Win10 are updates from Win 8.1.

So be careful with Win10 updates.

Another thing I just found out Win10 only lasts for two years now. Good one.

So I'll get to my mates DJI sometime soon. He is not in a hurry for it as he has a second one.

Col
May 10, 2018, 06:32 AM
Firepower
Firepower's Avatar
Still trying to calibrate the speed controllers as it tips back and the back props hit the ground on take off. Motors are in the correct position and going the right way and props are correct.

Installed the Assistant software 3.8 but there is nothing to calibrate the speed controllers there.

Anyone got any further ideas?
May 10, 2018, 10:49 AM
Registered User
Mudslide's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower
Still trying to calibrate the speed controllers as it tips back and the back props hit the ground on take off. Motors are in the correct position and going the right way and props are correct.

Installed the Assistant software 3.8 but there is nothing to calibrate the speed controllers there.

Anyone got any further ideas?
Well...with all the effort you've put into this issue, perhaps it's time to pop for a couple of speed controllers...one for each back motor. They're reasonably inexpensive.

If software is not fixing it...hardware is the next likely culprit.
May 10, 2018, 11:45 AM
Tweaker
RemE's Avatar
I vote for IMU calibration. The ESC's aren't calibrated in the field. The IMU is off level I think.

Again, only if you are positive that you didn't reverse a motor.
May 10, 2018, 01:47 PM
DJI ENTERPRISE SUPPORT
blade strike's Avatar
If memory is correct there were a few different versions of ESC and motor combos.. They have to match the rest.
Latest blog entry: InterDrone 2018


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product DJI Phantom 2 Vision ***Owners Thread*** blade strike Multirotor Drone Talk 11668 Mar 30, 2018 04:57 PM