Feb 29, 2004, 02:10 PM
Big Kid / Big Toys
Thread OP

mega16/15/2 & cc 25 she no work

I just hooked up a mega 16/15/3 and a cc25 to an 8 cell 2400 pack and got only some jerky movement from the
motor and a lot of heat being generated by
motor and esc , both are new out of the box and have never been used before, went thru cc25 programming and set applicable settings, I had none of this with my cc35 and 16/15/2.

have you seen this before need help

have redone settings on cc 25 twice to insure I had done correctly

Mark
to remove ads between posts
Feb 29, 2004, 02:52 PM
Castle Tech
What prop are you swinging? Maybe youre overloading the esc...biggest you should be using is a 5x5 or 5.25x4.75...with the /2 I hope youre only using 4.1x4.1 if your using it DD...otherwise you'll be way over the esc's limit and could have a failure at an inopportune moment. Also what settings did you change on the esc?
Feb 29, 2004, 05:13 PM
Big Kid / Big Toys
Thread OP

sorry forthe typo ,, I am having trouble with

16/15/3 and cc25

cutoff voltage 5.0v
current limiting std
brake type brake disabled
throttle type auto calibrating
timing advance low advance also tried std
cutoff type hard cutoff
soft start soft setting

I am using in a Corona but am only bench testing and the motor would only jitter back and forth and now nothing , I am worried somrthing is not rite, I have other brushless and have not experienced annything like this.

found a post in CC forum on some bad esc's so I sent an e-mail off to Shawn.

Mark
Feb 29, 2004, 05:41 PM
Bob W
Looking at the programming cut sheet for the cc25, looks like 5v. cut off is low for 8 cells, but should work. Have you tried the 6v. setting?

Bob
Feb 29, 2004, 05:58 PM
Big Kid / Big Toys
Thread OP

cut off setting

no I had not as if the cutoff was as low as 5 I did not see the point in increasing value.

I believe that there is a problem in the esc
and am going to put the mega on another esc I have and try that to take the motor out of
suspicion, if it is the motor I will try esc on another motor

Mark
Feb 29, 2004, 06:50 PM
Suspended Account

connection

Check your connections !!! If short in one connector motor will shudder back and forth ( esc to motor ) Randy
Feb 29, 2004, 06:55 PM
Bob W
Good point,
I should have referred to the current limiting feature. If that was too low the motor might not run. Or may cut off.
Bob
Feb 29, 2004, 08:13 PM
Big Kid / Big Toys
Thread OP

one last check

I had already retinned the motor to esc connections and went thru esc setup to confirm all , quite comfortable doing it now compared to first time thru.
no change

will wait to see what CC has to say

Mark
Feb 29, 2004, 08:47 PM
KG7TTQ - Las Vegas
Try the motor on an ESC you know works. This will at least let you know which part is bad. I've seen Astro motors (new) with broken wires and they just chattered and got hot. I have also had a bad CC10 controller. To that I will say I have honestly, never had better customer srevice than I did from the people at Castle Creations, they are terrific!

Good luck - Mark
Feb 29, 2004, 08:59 PM
Big Kid / Big Toys
Thread OP

CC what to expect

I have already sent an e-mail to shawn
and explained the events as they unfolded. I
will wait to see what they say about the esc.

The motor test will require a major effort as the cc35 is in a f5 along with a vasa 65 and a mega 16/15/2 and is not easily removed.I will have to wait until next weekend now as during the week I am usually to busy with other business.

I know from past bl setups that the esc is not supposed to get hot enough to melt shrink wrap , It was hotter than motor by far

Mark

Quick Reply