This thread is privately moderated by 59er9er, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 02, 2013, 04:21 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Radian Pro and Great Planes F-86

I've been getting in as much stick time with the Radian Pro and I think I've got her dialed in beautifully. Yesterday while flying the RP at the local field a couple approached and asked me questions about the RP and why it was so much quieter than a 3D plane that someone was flying. After explaining to them the I only use the motor to climb to altitude then soar they became more curious. We of course got to talking about thermals so the lady naturally asked "how to do you find thermals." Just as I was telling her about looking at the wings for abrupt movement I hit a thermal about 30-50 feet about the field. My plans changed from landing to circling back to the thermal. I hit it again and began to circle and just like that the RP slowly gained altitude. The couple got a kick out of watching the RP circle without power and gain a few hundred feet in altitude. Great stuff, especially when you can share it with others.

Now onto the F-86. I bought this for my son, because it's the first RC plane that he wanted. When we took it out for it's maiden I told him I'd hand the radio to him as soon as it was at a good altitude. Well right after tossing the plane it immediately went into a nose up attitude and no amount of down elevator could get it level...it' practically hovered for a moment. It landed pretty softly without any damage. Next toss I used about 50% power and a more level toss. I was able to get it down field but it needed so much down elevator. I was able to barely turn it back toward us then bam, right into the grass. Dented nose foam this time. I tried another time after this with the same results. I realized after reading about someone else's maiden on youtube that I didn't check the CG...couldn't believe it. I taped a dime under the battery and today during my lunch hour I took it out again. This time it climbed beautifully out of my hand and I got a full, uneventful flight out of it before the LVC cut in. It is such a graceful bird to fly. Now I can't wait to take my son out to see it fly.

Happy flying!
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply