Dec 01, 2013, 08:16 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Amazon to use drones for delivery? That's the plan!

Just saw this on CBS... Someone big gonna be in our corner fighting for us soon? Was a cool clip...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17...-by-drone_news
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2013, 08:22 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
Hi Gents,
Yep. I just saw the 60 minutes segment on Amazon.com. Amazon unveiled their plans to do some deliveries using Octocopters. http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/amazon...to-the-future/

I would love to know who their technical staff is
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Last edited by jesolins; Dec 02, 2013 at 10:44 AM.
Dec 01, 2013, 08:22 PM
Сделайте Америку Великой Снова
Free drones. I just saw this.

60 minutes
Dec 01, 2013, 08:37 PM
Just saw that on tv, that is very cool!
Dec 01, 2013, 08:45 PM
The technical challenges that need to be overcome to make these things safe in autonomous operations are daunting but what a cool job that would be.
Dec 01, 2013, 10:21 PM
Thread OP
I was glad to hear them mention the FAA rules in 2015... If they have any realistic intentions of actually pulling this off I assume that means they are fighting for the right to be able to do it.
Dec 01, 2013, 11:25 PM
Сделайте Америку Великой Снова
lots of problems (like free drones, following drones to see where free stuff was dropped off...yeah, you could follow a ups delivery man but he might not deliver, or call the police.)
Dec 01, 2013, 11:46 PM
Gotta be a gimmick/spoof. Just like the pizza drone a few months back.
Dec 01, 2013, 11:49 PM
yea, it looks very cool. But very dangerous landing at a customer's door step.

Amazon Prime Air (1 min 20 sec)
Dec 02, 2013, 12:01 AM
well I think its safe to say we are all on the front lines of that.
Dec 02, 2013, 12:05 AM
The range specification is suspect. 10 miles? With a payload? C'mon...
Dec 02, 2013, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Harpe
Gotta be a gimmick/spoof. Just like the pizza drone a few months back.
Jeff Bezos has a sense of humor, but he's not joking - they are looking at this. Obviously it's not something that could be used except for certain delivery scenarios for certain customers/circumstances.

I can imagine the drone dropping those <5 lb containers into the rooftop equivalent of a coal chute, which slides it directly into the mail room at an office or apartment building.
Dec 02, 2013, 12:55 AM
Keep in mind that anyone paying for delivery within a half hour would be waiting around to meet the copter. That being said, there are a lot of problems to overcome.

Since the technology is not there yet, I can't see why Amazon bought those octocopters just to play around with. Even if the technology plays out, I also just can't see a whole bunch of different copters from various companies flying around a typical neighborhood all of the time delivering things, surveying things, following cars and people, taking pictures, etc.

A major metropolitan area is where there would be the most need for fast delivery but can you really see the air filled with lots of these over streets in Manhattan? Right now a bike messenger can deliver a package pretty quickly in an urban environment and how many people are ordering things to be delivered that way? And the bike messenger can bring it inside, hand it to someone, and get a signature.

Even if a lot of the technology comes around and many of the problems get resolved, what happens when it is raining or snowing, or too windy? So this might not be a service one could depend on.
Last edited by AlanGold; Dec 02, 2013 at 01:05 AM.
Dec 02, 2013, 11:53 AM
Forensic Animation/Video/Photo
Yeah, and I remember in 1965 I read in Popular Mechanics that that I would have a flying car by 1985.

Quick Reply