Dec 01, 2013, 08:15 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

amazon delivery drones on 60Minutes 12/1

octocopters, He says they have a 10mile delivery radius with current tech, up to 5lb package payload. Fully autonomous.

Im curious about a proposed 20mile total range... but what do I know...

I think we have heard rumors of it, but fun to see it. Guess amazons gonna be some deep pockets fighting for legislation protecting responsible drone use in the states.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2013, 08:22 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Looks cool.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-u...very-by-drone/
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
Dec 01, 2013, 08:37 PM
Well, somebody was bound to push the issue, Papa Johns pizza made a similar announcement about 6 months ago. 20 mile round trip would be nice. I have broken the 8mile round trip mark with a quad.
Dec 01, 2013, 09:00 PM
CunningStuntsFPV
Kewl...Deliver my stuff and lassoo a multirotor....USA doesn't even have a licensing system sorted yet.
Dec 02, 2013, 12:10 AM
fly by night
There was a dude on TED talks recently with a plan to grow a network of quadcopters flying off elevated platforms, delivery small but vital goods into remote areas.

The drones would be programmed like internet packets, relaying packages between each other over the network to destinations. And this could be set up anywhere in the world at a fraction the cost of having humans driving vehicles.

Andreas Raptopoulos: No roads? There's a drone for that (9 min 25 sec)
Dec 02, 2013, 09:26 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
good article about this

http://blog.hubspot.com/uattr/real-p...elivery-drones
Dec 02, 2013, 09:46 PM
Thread OP
need to work out some VTOL airplanes.... considering the size of our motors, easy enough do some sort of osprey type deal I would think....
Dec 03, 2013, 11:17 AM
I like the ambition, but I think we all realize the significant safety challenges.

A 10-20 mile radius would only be useful in a fairly densely populated area, which is the absolute worst place to try to fly and land autonomously. The spaces capable of supporting a safe landing are generally not available in densely populated areas unless they're planning for rooftop landings.

If they were looking at an airdrop capability (ie parachuting packages from a 50 ft hover), that's something I could see as more realistic. I think you could much more easily sell the idea of safely parachuting a 5 lb payload from 50 ft than safely landing an octocopter in an urban area by GPS with no visibility of the landing zone.
Dec 03, 2013, 02:59 PM
Too many numbers
Keep in mind that Bezos is assuming battery technology will continue to progress. Lipos are getting lighter and more powerful, and he is counting on that trend to continue.
Dec 03, 2013, 09:15 PM
Thread OP
I took him to say it had the 10mile range with current tech. could be mistaken.

I do agree though... how does he know where to land it? trust homeowners to go out and get you exact coordinates to level ground with no obstructions? Cant use sat pics as a person can plant a new tree any time.

Of course, even if NYC has the density, and you ignore landing and safety (fwiw, octocopters can survive 1 or 2 motor failures, perhaps with some bail out spots to set down in those cases) You still have the issue that dense areas are less than ideal where property and labor costs are concerned.

Perhaps though... perhaps one day we'll all have little 2'x2' landing pads in our yards, and reminisce about those funny looking boxes on a pole that they used to stick mail in.
Dec 03, 2013, 11:08 PM
Registered DSer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mychalm
If they were looking at an airdrop capability (ie parachuting packages from a 50 ft hover), that's something I could see as more realistic. I think you could much more easily sell the idea of safely parachuting a 5 lb payload from 50 ft than safely landing an octocopter in an urban area by GPS with no visibility of the landing zone.
I reckon that you wouldn't need a parachute. You would have a simple winch on the bottom of the multi, with the payload hooked on. Fly to, and hover (at say 20' altitude) over the designated set-down area (say a table with a big QR code printed on it), lower the item onto the table, release, and RTH

Copter stays at a safe altitude (away from poeple), doesn't have to land, and you can mark a unique drop location to give the resolution you need to identify, and place the object accurately.

Might even have a human pilot (FPV) the drop-off operation (for about a minute I reckon), then let the copter RTH.
Dec 04, 2013, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnx
Might even have a human pilot (FPV) the drop-off operation (for about a minute I reckon), then let the copter RTH.
Doubtful. Can 900Mhz maintain a signal landing behind a building 10 miles away?

The alternative i can think of is if they use cell towers to relay the signal like the system someone posted in another thread.
Dec 04, 2013, 08:49 AM
Thread OP
I think the system only makes sense if its human free. I mean, a UPS delivery guy can put packages onto a doorstep every few minutes. expedited? perhaps... if its already within 10 miles of the destination, guess its 30min rather than next day.

Though in the end... your not cutting costs out, in theory, you still need the UPS guy, he's still running his route, still collecting his paycheck. maybe hes delivering fewer items, so you can extend his route and reduce the total fleet? perhaps. Im also guessing the "85% of items under 5lbs" claim is individual items. which might mean a multi item order becomes several drone trips.
Dec 04, 2013, 01:53 PM
Question about bluetooth. What does it take to register a bluetooth device for later identification?

Bluetooth is very short range so it may be a good way to act as a way to check if the owner is in the general area.

My idea is for there to be a bluetooth app on your phone. Much like other delivery based stores (i.e. hobbyking, pizza, etc.), customers can be verified and ranked, as well as have prerequisites to qualify for this service (like a smartphone).

Once the drone is nearby, it can detect if there's a smartphone with an Amazon app running, perform a handshake over bluetooth, exchange serial numbers, release the payload and leave. All the paperwork is done automatically via bluetooth rather than signing a receipt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerbach
need to work out some VTOL airplanes.... considering the size of our motors, easy enough do some sort of osprey type deal I would think....
Duling VTOLs - Twins Tilt-Rotor vs. VTOL-Trainer (3 min 9 sec)
Dec 04, 2013, 02:22 PM
Thread OP
an interesting idea hajile, I suspect NFC could also suffice, it is a shorter range, but that may be to its benefit. Of course, then you get to the question... do you plan the max range assuming the delivery of the package is successful(ie unladen weight for the return trip?)

Quick Reply