Dec 27, 2013, 05:23 AM
I think there is velcro and then there is velcro
The latest type I have been using has extremely strong glue and holds on Epp very well
I buy small amounts from a sewing shop I hope to find out the manufacturer and get some info
Sail repair tape the spinnaker variety is plenty strong and much thinner and lighter than many alternatives
but the type I tried the glue on it would not hold it very well to EPP There may be a brand out there that will hold to Epp OK
Last edited by hiko; Dec 27, 2013 at 05:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2013, 06:46 AM
yes I must admit to buying the cheapest hook and loop I can find....however its still very sticky stuff..

I am all for saving money...lol.. that's why the pallet strapping rather than CF idea
Dec 28, 2013, 03:41 AM
Mark Harrison
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
yes I must admit to buying the cheapest hook and loop I can find....however its still very sticky stuff..

I am all for saving money...lol.. that's why the pallet strapping rather than CF idea
This stuff is about $3.00 for 1 meter and is super strong and super sticky. I think they carry it in most of the regional warehouses.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ONG_1mtr_.html
Dec 28, 2013, 07:13 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Have we explored the idea of making an I-beam spar with the pallet strapping ... ? Slice the foam and insert the vertical member, the cap top and bottom ... ???
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Dec 28, 2013, 08:18 AM
Marty Petri Sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiko
I hope to find out the manufacturer and get some info
Years ago I worked on a machine, not sure if it's still done this way, but the velcro was fed into the machine at an angle an double sided sticky tape at a different angle, then it went thru a series of rollers that put incredible force on it. The sticky tape had paper on 1 side already

Marty
Dec 28, 2013, 12:24 PM
I made a test of the fiberglass clothe. I made a wing 40” long by 11” cord in the middle and 9” cord at the tip. I used a strip of tape 1 7/8” in the middle joint one on top and one on the bottom. After I applied the tape I also coated the taped area with Titebond glue using a credit card squeegee to insure the tape didn't come loose.

I made a test as shown below. Without tape along the wing I placed it on the two rolls of tape, The middle bottomed out on the floor. I then applied the fiberglass tape two strips to the top and two strips to the bottom. The strips of tape were 1 7/8” by 40” with a total of 4 strips. I then placed two rolls of tape on the floor 38” from outside edge to outside edge. After I applied the fiberglass tape I again applied glue to cover the surface as I had done to middle joint. After the fiberglass tape and glue had fully dried , I placed the wing on the rolls of tape with one inch overhang at each end.

With the tape applied and dried The outer tip measured 1 7/8”from the bottom of the wing to the floor at about 2' from the end, and 1 5/8” at the center. This was 1/4” drop under the wings own weight. Next I placed two rolls of packing tape in the middle of the wing. Both rolls of tape weighted a total of 16 oz. The wing tip was then 2 5/8” from the bottom of the wing to the floor, the wing was bottomed out on the floor in the middle.

The total weight of the wing, (foam tape, and glue) was 2.7 oz. With the 16 oz. Weight applied the grand total was 18.7 oz. The wing has a 400 sq. in. wing area, which gives it a 4.15 oz. Per sq. in. Most of the planes I build have a full build-up fuselage, so 18.7 oz. Is not unrealistic for the weight. I came up with my wing spar design because When I would fly at the field and do sharp pull-outs you could see the wing flex, and I honestly feared that it might snap. This lead to my wing spar design.

I tried pine for the spar (cheap but too flexible) I then tried fur strip, also very cheap slightly heavier but much less flexible. I am always open to new ideas that’s why I spend hours on this and other forums. The spar I used for the wing shown was 32” long I centered it end to end and placed it in the cord where I wanted the high spot of the airfoil. I didn't build a new wing, I like the fiberglass idea so I cut a small slot 32” long in the wing. As you will see from the test the spar really works. With the 16 oz added to the wing with the fur strip spar the flex is gone.

Years ago I used fiberglass clothe for center wing joints and covered the clothe with 15 or 30 minutes epoxy it makes the joint rock solid. Using my fur strip spar I have crashed planes, did cart wheels and stuck the nose in the ground. I've broke rudders, stabilizers, and fuselages but the wing spar has never snapped. The spare is about 1/16” thick 3/4” high and tapered ant the ends it weighs ½ oz. For this size wing, but to me that extra weight is well worth the results. The new weight of the wing is 3.2 oz, the spar weighs ½ oz. For a wing loading of 4.26 oz. Per sq. ft.

I am not criticizing the fiberglass I love it. As for the strapping tape it may work as well or better turned vertical. I couldn't find any to try, and I'm to cheap to spend $50.00 with shipping cost to buy a roll to make the test. If I come across some more of it I will give it a try.

As you can see by doing a close up of photos 5 and 7 the height at tip and center is 1 13/16" if there is any flex it is less than 1/16"
Last edited by propjobbill; Dec 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM.
Dec 28, 2013, 10:25 PM
Marty Petri Sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by propjobbill
I made a test of the fiberglass clothe. I made a wing 40” long by 11” cord in the middle and 9” cord at the tip.
Great Report, Thanks for sharing the results.

You did not say how thick your wing was.

Looking at the photos, it looks like it was a flat sheet maybe 6 mm thick. Hard to tell.

If that is the case, that would explain why the wing flexed with only the fiberglass tape. If you laminated 2 pieces of tape together, wing thickness = 0, it would flop around like a wet noodle. It needs thickness too work, remember, the tape does not strengthen the wing, it is it's inability to stretch that is doing the job, The thicker the wing, the better it works.

Marty
Dec 28, 2013, 11:00 PM
The foam is Dollartree foam with the paper pulled off. the foam is about 4.5MM or slightly less than 3/16" thick. This foam is very flexible and bends very easy. It may not be the best foam for building, but it is what I use almost always. I think the poly strap might work very well placed in the wing vertically. My problem is I don't have any to test with. But when I come up with some I am going to test that also.
Dec 29, 2013, 12:21 AM
Arizona Rim Country

What is old is new again

Scroll down just a couple of pics and you will see that Ken uses a cheap yardstick for a spar

http://www.acesim.com/rc/polly/polly.html
Dec 31, 2013, 01:32 AM
here is another using strapping and tape.. its doing a good job and all parts are very stiff.. I was very pleased on the elevator ..the strapping plus tape has made it nice and stiff even going across that narrow centre join

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polypropyl...item3cda67aa68 ..... a small quantity
Last edited by davereap; Dec 31, 2013 at 01:41 AM.
Dec 31, 2013, 09:28 AM
For flying out loud!
i will definatly be getting some strapping tape soon to test and use as being a kid CF really is too expensive.
Dec 31, 2013, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
here is another using strapping and tape.. its doing a good job and all parts are very stiff.. I was very pleased on the elevator ..the strapping plus tape has made it nice and stiff even going across that narrow centre join

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polypropyl...item3cda67aa68 ..... a small quantity
Hi Dave, What Kind of glues will work best with this strapping? THANKS
Dec 31, 2013, 12:47 PM
For flying out loud!
he has been using uhu por throught the previous post but i think he has also said hot glue is OKAY .
Dec 31, 2013, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemad man
he has been using uhu por throught the previous post but i think he has also said hot glue is OKAY .
Thanks, the hot glue I can do. I have some ordered
Jan 01, 2014, 04:41 AM
I prefer UHU por .. rubbed into the strapping's texture with finger tips....the cool melt glue is too heavy

for no cost strapping try the local shops that get deliveries...
B&Q, shoe shops anywhere might get the stuff and be binning it ..
Last edited by davereap; Jan 01, 2014 at 04:53 AM.

Quick Reply