Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 14, 2013, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpetri
Dave,

I wish you would give the fiberglas tape a try before being judgmental. The tape doesn't compress, the foam beneath it compresses. It's lighter than your strapping, cost is about the same, and I bet the strength is as good or better, I did tow my car with a single 25' length, it never broke or stretched.

Marty.
Are you referring to the white packageing tape with the plastic backing and self adheasive, and fiberglass strands running lengthwise? If you're talking about this tape I have used it for hinges before. It is very strong, the 3/4" wide is rated at over 160 pounds tensel strength. This stuff just might work great for making the wing stiffer. I'm out of town for a few days but when I return I'm going to give it a try.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2013, 04:02 AM
Quote:
Dave,

I wish you would give the fiberglas tape a try before being judgmental. The tape doesn't compress, the foam beneath it compresses. It's lighter than your strapping, cost is about the same, and I bet the strength is as good or better, I did tow my car with a single 25' length, it never broke or stretched.

Marty.
Can you replicate the test of strapping and 6mm Depron reported here?:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=11245
Dec 16, 2013, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Dave,

Marty.
I have tried it... and unless the tape I tried is not what you meant, I found it did compress so on a wing it was only the non stretch of the lower tape plus the resistance of the foam to being compressed, that was giving the wing its strength, yes that non stretch strength is great, much better than the coloured packing tapes I also use, but if the foam compresses enough above the tape the wing will fold up

Is this the stuff see the picture ?? if not can you photo your tape.. or add a link

The strapping does not compress , you cant squash it like you can with tapes , see the picture, so either it has to come unstuck from the top surface, which will allow it to flex away, before the wing can fold up.. or it has to bend inwards into and further compressing the foam ..

Ive been using tapes to cover wings for ages.. and recommend doing so, over multiple foam layers (KF) they both stiffen and make wings much stronger, but all of them will crease in an impact

The tape below is stronger and stickier than the packing tapes by a long way, but its also heavier...
Whatever you use, with enough force the wings will fold....
Last edited by davereap; Dec 16, 2013 at 04:41 AM.
Dec 16, 2013, 04:48 AM
Using the pallet strapping is just another way to make the wing or fuzz stiff enough so it doesn't flex about in flight...
There are lots of ways to do this, and they all work in their own fashion..
Give em a try... please do some actual number tests and post back on here...

Personally I will now be using both the strapping and my coloured packing tapes as well...the coloured tapes are good for full coverage décor and stiffening.. the strapping will replace the previously used CF for spars etc..
Dec 16, 2013, 04:54 AM
heres another one..by Rusty Mustard

So i printed out the wing shape minus the fuselage, and after a few minutes of hacking foam i had a pretty awesome looking vulcan wing. I used small polystrap for spars, and for the A-frame nose structure. I stuck the micro gear on it, put some orientation stripes on it and chucked it off the mountain.
Vulcan 'A' Maiden Flight - RC Flying Wing (6 min 29 sec)
Dec 22, 2013, 05:20 AM
heres another, I really have taken to the strapping
Dec 23, 2013, 07:32 AM
Marty Petri Sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE
Can you replicate the test of strapping and 6mm Depron reported here?:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=11245
Sorry, I can't find 400 gms of chopped tomatoes here in Thailand, but this is a test I did awhile back

The weight used is a sharpening stone, probably in excess of 16 oz.
Marty
Dec 23, 2013, 07:34 AM
Marty Petri Sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by propjobbill
Are you referring to the white packageing tape with the plastic backing and self adheasive, and fiberglass strands running lengthwise? If you're talking about this tape I have used it for hinges before. It is very strong, the 3/4" wide is rated at over 160 pounds tensel strength. This stuff just might work great for making the wing stiffer. I'm out of town for a few days but when I return I'm going to give it a try.
No, this is a true fiber glass mesh tape used for drywall applications.
Marty
Dec 23, 2013, 07:40 AM
Marty Petri Sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
Is this the stuff see the picture ?? if not can you photo your tape.. or add a link
No Dave, check this link
http://www.fiberglass-tape.org/fiber...oint-tape.html
Marty
Dec 23, 2013, 09:51 AM
Thanks Marty,

I have used that tape for drywall it is very strong. With that tape a person could use polyurethane or a good waterbase paint to attach it, and I doubt you would ever have to worry about the tape ever coming loose.

I seem to cover most of my planes with colored packing tape the tape also adds to the strength and stiffness. packing tape would go over the fiberglass tape well and should also improve on strenght. I'm going to give the fiberglass tape a try.
Dec 23, 2013, 05:43 PM
Marty Petri Sr.
Great idea to give it a try. That's how we learn new stuff :-)

My results are very favorable and I like it better than the pallet strap. As a side note, yes, you can crease it. It is meant for use in corner joints in the drywall application as well as straight seams. If you get the "Very Thin" grade, it is as thin as a sheet of printer paper.

I'll try to find the other link which discusses the differences between paper tape, regular and very thin mesh tape.

Marty
Dec 23, 2013, 06:09 PM
Marty Petri Sr.
Excerpt from a website
"Thin Fiberglass Tape"

I'll admit that I was working up to this drywall tape (drumroll anyone?). What do you like about paper drywall tape? Well, it's thin. Now, what do you like about mesh tape? It's strong.
How about if we combine the two qualities? FibaTape Perfect Finish is a mesh tape that doesn't have the "thready" qualities of classic mesh tape. And it's thinner than paper joint tape. Manufacturer Saint Gobain claims that FibaTape is 30% thinner than paper tape. I'm not sure about that claim, but it certainly is thinner than ordinary mesh joint tape: so, no more bulges.

Pros

Thin joint tape - great for butt joints.
Stronger than paper tape.
No loose threads.
Self adhering to wall.
Cons
Expensive.
Must be cut with scissors or knife.
Buy Direct - FibaTape Perfect Finish Ultra Thin Drywall Joint Tape

In reality, this tape is about 50 cents a 1" wide x 25' roll here in Thailand.

Marty
Last edited by mbpetri; Dec 23, 2013 at 06:19 PM.
Dec 23, 2013, 06:14 PM
Marty Petri Sr.
Home Depot has it
FibaTape

There are other brands too.

Marty
Dec 25, 2013, 03:09 AM
Quote:
got it now... thanks... it looks like a good replacement for glass cloth covering...
that will do well on combat wings....
Dec 25, 2013, 04:14 AM
Marty Petri Sr.
Yes, and it doesn't fray like glass cloth. If you get a single thread loose, don't pull it, just snip it off. And it is a fraction of the cost of glass cloth too.

Cheers,
Marty

Quick Reply