Nov 29, 2013, 05:25 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Thread OP
Discussion

Hoverthings Flip 360 FPV Frame

edit:
This frame has now been released from Hoverthings as the Flip 360 FPV: http://www.hoverthings.com/frame-sets/flipfpv360.html

I've built and flown many Hoverthings frames. All of them have been great performers. Most are in the 450 size class. I was wanting something a little smaller for FPVing in tighter places...and...what do you know...Tom at Hoverthings comes out with a Mini Flip frame. This is my build of the prototype that'll take 28mm OD motors and up to 8" props. This frame is in the 350 size class.

Design progress by Hoverthings has not stopped. Tom's already redesigned the center plates to allow for folding arms (mine's not the folding version) and has also produced a prototype 300 size frame that'll take up to 6" props and also has the folding arms. Hopefully we'll have other testers posting here soon as the design matures and goes into production.

My Planned Equipment:
T-Motor MT-2206 1200kv motors from ReadyToFlyQuads: http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/mot...06-23-339.html
3S LiPo (probably 1500mAh-2200mAh size)...will see what fits.
MultiWii Flight Controller
RCTimer 8x4.5 CF props
Immersion 600mW, 5.8GHz VTx
Either a Mobius or GP3 camera
SimonK flashed ESCs...thinking of using HK Blue Series 12A ESCs.

So let the build begin.
Last edited by Vantasstic; Dec 27, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2013, 05:26 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Thread OP
The MiniFlip kit came in Hoverthings usual sealed packaging. No way to loose parts in shipping. There were no instructions with the prototype, but it only took a few minutes to have it figured out. The kit comprises two main sections...the 'dirty' section and a 'clean' section for the flight controller and camera. Also included are nice rubber landing legs, rubber vibration dampeners for the clean section, and stand offs for the clean section. Oh, it even has a nice camera mount plate for the board type camers...cool.

The MiniFlip plates are 1/16" G10 and the arms are 1/4" G10. The cutting is SUPERB. The empty frame weight is 280g.

Note. I just found out I mounted my clean plate to the dirty plate upside down...so the below pictures are wrong. I flipped the dirty plate over and remounted the isolation mounts. Now the clean section sits closer to the dirty section...making for less tall frame.
Last edited by Vantasstic; Nov 29, 2013 at 06:51 PM.
Nov 29, 2013, 05:27 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Thread OP
Wish List:

Okay, this will be my spot for 'wish list' items. I'll add comments from other prototypers here too.

#1. The clean section fits both my GP1 and GP3 cameras. There is very little meat on the bottom plate of the clean section to 'sit' the camera on though. I would prefer maybe 1/2" minimum to 3/4" longer in front to support the bottom of the GoPro.
Fixed on released production via a nifty sliding camera capture mount.
Last edited by Vantasstic; Dec 20, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
Nov 29, 2013, 05:27 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Thread OP
UPDATE!!!

The official Flip FPV Mini 350 (that's a mouthful) Flip 360 FPV is released and now available at Hoverthings.com: http://www.hoverthings.com/flipfpv350.html .

The improvements over the prototype:
Folding arms by simply loosening (not removing) a single screw from each arm.
A UNIQUE GoPro retention/protection system (slide in your GoPro3) into the camera carrier, slide the carrier back to sandwich it between the clean plate and camera protective cover. Tighten the thumb screws. Go fly with your camera secure and protected!!!

This is by far the smoothest FPV frame I've used. Like McDonald's...I'm Lov'n It!!!
Last edited by Vantasstic; Dec 25, 2013 at 04:24 PM.
Nov 29, 2013, 05:28 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Thread OP
Reserved #3
Nov 29, 2013, 05:51 PM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
COOL, Mine should be in, in 1hr i hope.
Nov 29, 2013, 05:59 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-unit
COOL, Mine should be in, in 1hr i hope.
What's taking you so long? Mine's already framed up. Slow poke!!!
Nov 29, 2013, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
What's taking you so long? Mine's already framed up. Slow poke!!!
Your in Vegas, I'm in Kingman, we have maybe 1 mailman for your 200...
but guess what?? Thats right , just got it.....
Nov 29, 2013, 06:31 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Thread OP
Tom lied to us. He said the initial prototype frame wasn't designed for folding arms. LIAR!!! The arms easy fold either both forward or both back (no picture yet) by removing the inner most screw on each arm. I do believe the newer design allows for the front arms to fold back and the rear arms to fold forward..making for a shorter and narrower 'transportation' package.

Now for the bad on folding the arms. The supplied arm mount screws are 4-40 x 1/2" with KEP lock nuts. The screws don't quite come flush with the end of the nut when tightened. It also doesn't leave much screw exposed to start the nut. I think I'll replace them with 4-40 5/8" screws and use nylon insert lock nuts for less chance of having them loosen up. I think this will also help when removing/installing the inner most screw should one decide to fold the arms.

On a side note. A fellow flier was in the habit of using one nylon screw and one metal screw to attach his frame arms. In the event of a crash, flip, tumble, whatever, the nylon screw would shear and allow the arms to fold before harder to replace parts (arms, frames) broke. This worked really well. I might have to give that a try using the metal screws in the outer holes and the nylon screws for the inner holes. Yeah...that sounds like a plan to me and a handful of spare nylon screws and nylon lock nuts would be easy to haul around with the frame.
Nov 29, 2013, 06:34 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Quote:
The MiniFlip kit came in Hoverthings usual sealed packaging. No way to loose parts in shipping. There were no instructions with the prototype, but it only took a few minutes to have it figured out. The kit comprises two main sections...the 'dirty' section and a 'clean' section for the flight controller and camera. Also included are nice rubber landing legs, rubber vibration dampeners for the clean section, and stand offs for the clean section. Oh, it even has a nice camera mount plate for the board type camers...cool.

The MiniFlip plates are 1/16" G10 and the arms are 1/4" G10. The cutting is SUPERB. The empty frame weight is 280g.
I just stumbled across this thread.

Hey Van, I guess I should have included the instructions

You have the dirty section upside down, the bobbins attach to the lower plate

Or, swap the upper and lower center plate, bobbins go on the bottom.
Nov 29, 2013, 06:38 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner
I just stumbled across this thread.

Hey Van, I guess I should have included the instructions

You have the dirty section upside down, the bobbins attach to the lower plate

Or, swap the upper and lower center plate, bobbins go on the bottom.
Thanks Tom. That's an easy fix.

I see now that removing the inner arm screws to fold the arms will be a little more difficult with the clean plate sitting closer to the dirty plate section. I think a few minutes with the dremel to cut some groves in the side of the clean plate will allow me to easily remove/install/tighten the inner screws without compromising the clean plate strength.

Hmmm...I'm eying my Beholder Lite gimbal now. I think I could fit it to the frame pretty easily. Yeah, it'll weigh more, but having stabilized videos is oh-so-nice!!!
Last edited by Vantasstic; Nov 29, 2013 at 06:48 PM.
Nov 29, 2013, 06:39 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Quote:
Tom lied to us. He said the initial prototype frame wasn't designed for folding arms. LIAR!!! The arms easy fold either both forward or both back (no picture yet) by removing the inner most screw on each arm. I do believe the newer design allows for the front arms to fold back and the rear arms to fold forward..making for a shorter and narrower 'transportation' package.

Now for the bad on folding the arms. The supplied arm mount screws are 4-40 x 1/2" with KEP lock nuts. The screws don't quite come flush with the end of the nut when tightened. It also doesn't leave much screw exposed to start the nut. I think I'll replace them with 4-40 5/8" screws and use nylon insert lock nuts for less chance of having them loosen up. I think this will also help when removing/installing the inner most screw should one decide to fold the arms.

On a side note. A fellow flier was in the habit of using one nylon screw and one metal screw to attach his frame arms. In the event of a crash, flip, tumble, whatever, the nylon screw would shear and allow the arms to fold before harder to replace parts (arms, frames) broke. This worked really well. I might have to give that a try using the metal screws in the outer holes and the nylon screws for the inner holes. Yeah...that sounds like a plan to me and a handful of spare nylon screws and nylon lock nuts would be easy to haul around with the frame.
The folding version has narrower center plates and more of a cutout so that the esc's don't hit the center plate. I've been doing head high flips with mine, gopro attached

Have fun bashing it. BTW I realized the screw holes are not correct for the CCD plate. Someone else will notice that shortly I bet.
Nov 29, 2013, 06:42 PM
Nice... I want the 300 when ever it comes out How you do I sign up for the prototypes? hehe
Nov 29, 2013, 06:45 PM
Hey Van...
Nov 29, 2013, 06:52 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-unit
Hey Van...
Now that didn't take long, did it? A plus for you too. You mounted your clean and dirty plates properly. I had mine flipped around...fixed now though.

Quick Reply