Dec 18, 2013, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072
So do you guys have your wagers ready? Cos' that boat didn't sink but it, fitted with a 11.1V lipo, struggled to get above a mile an hour :P

Had fun saying "I told you so!!!!" to the engineer though!

Now I need to get a new FT009...
You didn't try to fit the 11.1V Lipo on your engineer ? to see if he can run faster ?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 26, 2013, 04:36 PM
What a quiet thread.

Any more adopters of this model around, or is this thing not selling?

I'm just waiting on mine and am also searching for a spares supplier, the latter to no avail.
Dec 26, 2013, 08:18 PM
kiwi power!
Thread OP
@Seb: I'll try it out and let you know the results
@ZeRoEXPO: I think people just haven't received theirs yet :P and mine is out of commission so no-one has a FT009 in their hands
Dec 27, 2013, 07:47 AM
Great review James.
I have a good friend lives north of me near Dallas Tx. He has one of the largest above ground pools available and is always playing with rc boats for the kids and visitors. I was just talking to him and he mentioned he bought a new boat and I told him hang on, I came here to RCG and did a quick search only to find James's review on this new boat which looks fantastic.

After watching James's video he was convinced he wouldn't be buying any more boats from Wally.. lol

I'm not a boater and I am looking at the battery which looks like an 18650 Li-Ion but it states that it is a Li-PO. I have never looked for a LiPo 18650 but am very familiar with the Li-Ion versions and usually try to use AW protected types in most of my flashlights etc.

In order for us to have some extra bats, where should I look?, and or is it safe to use Li-Ion 18650's in an RC boat. Also is there a reason it doesn't use the standard flat package Li-Po's like most of our quads use..

I'm thinking because I haven't been into RC cars Etc in years that there's lot of battery info I'm behind on..

Thank you guys, He and I are now also among the waiting.. lol
Ah, almost forgot, if you would be so kind, please welcome my very good friend to RCGroups Forums.. "MadMM" I finally got him to sign up.. lol..
Looks like good fun..

Many thanks
X/BillyD.. .
Dec 27, 2013, 09:11 PM
kiwi power!
Thread OP
Hey BillyD,
Cheers man, I appreciate your appreciation! I'm glad that you guys went for the FT009... it truly is a lot of fun and I'm getting another as soon as it's available (our engineers destroyed my old one )
Anyways, the lithium battery has "LIPO" written on it though I do believe it's an Li-ION as well... regardless, I've been running a 7.4V 1000mah lipo on it with a low voltage buzzer and it seems to be functioning just fine.

Hope that helps and that you guys enjoy the awesome boat that is the FT009.

and welcome to the forums MadMM!

Regards,
James
Dec 28, 2013, 04:01 AM
James ... Mine is on the way, finally shipped by Tmart (1 month later). Shipped by CH post, I should receive it in less than 10 days . 51 buck for the FT009, it was the big deal of the last black friday . I will also review it and shooting it in my favorite nearby lake
Dec 29, 2013, 11:00 AM
I see spares availability has now surfaced, although I'm unsure as to the authenticity of these sites.

I always question whether or not sites like these are a scam due to no contact details and just an eMail forms. I've had bad luck with sites with no contact info before now.

http://www.goldenhobby.com/rc-boat-s...oat-parts.html

A vendor called 'Hobbycow' also allegedly stocks parts, but I've never heard of this site either.

I think I'll wait for Banggood to stock parts instead, as at least I know I'll get them when the slow boat eventually reaches the shore.
Dec 29, 2013, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRoEXPO
I see spares availability has now surfaced, although I'm unsure as to the authenticity of these sites.

I always question whether or not sites like these are a scam due to no contact details and just an eMail forms. I've had bad luck with sites with no contact info before now.

http://www.goldenhobby.com/rc-boat-s...oat-parts.html

A vendor called 'Hobbycow' also allegedly stocks parts, but I've never heard of this site either.

I think I'll wait for Banggood to stock parts instead, as at least I know I'll get them when the slow boat eventually reaches the shore.

I am sure that BG will stock spare next week ....
Dec 29, 2013, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
I am sure that BG will stock spare next week ....
Yeah, my thoughts too. They seem to stock everything known to Mankind.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to getting my 1st ever RC boat.

It looks like a great entry level watercraft and isn't cheap looking either from the pictures I've seen.
Dec 29, 2013, 07:47 PM
kiwi power!
Thread OP
Quote:
Yeah, my thoughts too. They seem to stock everything known to Mankind.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to getting my 1st ever RC boat.

It looks like a great entry level watercraft and isn't cheap looking either from the pictures I've seen.
Think you'll be more than happy with it. I was really happy with the FT007 but the FT009 solves most of the issues that the FT007 had... and it's a whole lot faster!

I ordered another one of these from Taobao yesterday... too much fun to pass up :P
Jan 03, 2014, 06:00 AM
James read my PM
Jan 03, 2014, 07:01 PM
I'm normally good with waiting, but I'm not too good waiting on this!

As it's my first ever Boat I'm feeling a little like a Kid on Christmas eve - you know, a little fidgety and all that.

C'mon Malaysia post.
Jan 03, 2014, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
James ... Mine is on the way, finally shipped by Tmart (1 month later). Shipped by CH post, I should receive it in less than 10 days . 51 buck for the FT009, it was the big deal of the last black friday . I will also review it and shooting it in my favorite nearby lake
Any sign of yours on the tracking system as yet mate?

Nothing on Malaysia tracking for me yet, but all the Guys I've asked say I should see it in around 2 Weeks, so around another 1 Week or so waiting for me.
Jan 03, 2014, 07:21 PM
JamesChen, I've just been looking at the battery connector but can't quite make it out on my phone. Is it a Tamiya connector; These are well known for being poor connectors and melting sometimes due to high resistance.

A change to Deans can only improve things, and maybe we'll see an extra MPH or 2 in addition to a bit extra runtime - certainly saw an improvement on RC Cars when these were ripped off and changed with better connectors anyway!

I'm also concerned about the battery and wonder if it might really be NiMh; It's the shape of the cells that looks odd, though Li ion might come in this sort of package. I've never seem them though.

Can you check the fully charged voltage of the pack for me please just for the purpose of establishing that it is in fact a Lithium pack.
Jan 04, 2014, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Any sign of yours on the tracking system as yet mate?

Nothing on Malaysia tracking for me yet, but all the Guys I've asked say I should see it in around 2 Weeks, so around another 1 Week or so waiting for me.
I got mine via Tmart and this time they used CH post ... but not sign yet (shipped on 12/28)

Quick Reply