Nov 27, 2013, 02:06 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Aerodrome RC 46.7" Fokker Dr.1

My name is Chuck Bassani and I'm a contributing writer for RC Heli Pilot and Fly RC Magazines. Although I'm primarily involved with RC Helicopters, I did enjoy building kits way back when. It's been some time (probably 20+ years) since I've built one and thought it would be rather amuseing to publicly fumble through the process.

I just had happend to stumble across Frank Jaerschky's build thread regarding this very subject. His attention to detail and his extremely helpful instructional videos have given me the motivation I need to give it a shot. So I ordered up a short kit and - well - stay tuned ...
Last edited by cbflys; Dec 03, 2013 at 04:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2013, 02:14 PM
Thread OP
I guess it's always a good idea to have an idea what you're shooting for, so for me it's this:
Nov 27, 2013, 02:39 PM
Cool, I love the WWI era planes and look forward to observing the work!
Nov 27, 2013, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
Here's the box - sure doesn't look like an airplane to me
Nov 27, 2013, 03:25 PM
Thread OP
For the most part (with a few exceptions) I'm going to be using Titebond Original Wood Glue for most of this build. I'm not a fan of using CA, it's like trying to sand a rock.

And we're off ...

Glued the two front fuse sides together. Titebond dries fairly good in about 45 minutes, but really takes about 24 hours to fully dry. So this build isn't going to go as fast as most of you are probably used to.

When working with laser cut wood, it's a good idea to use a damp paper towel to rub off as much of the burn residue as you can. Makes for a stronger joint.
Last edited by cbflys; Nov 27, 2013 at 06:49 PM.
Nov 27, 2013, 03:34 PM
Thread OP
Fuselage sides are made up of those previously joined front side plates, 3/16" square balsa sticks, and 3/16" x 1/16" balsa stringers. As per Frank's build, I went to my LHS and purchased some dense 3/16" square balsa for the longerons, as the included balsa is pretty light. Also, found a 3/16" sheet with what appears to be the rear fuselage stringers (it evens has "rear fuselage" printed next to them). But they aren't 1/16", they are closer to 1/8". As I couldn't find any 1/16" x 3/16" anyware, I used them.
Nov 27, 2013, 06:07 PM
Thread OP
OK, got both fuselage sides framed out. I essentially built them one on top of the other. It's like the first one was cloned ;-) Sanded them nice and flat. I'm now ready to glue on the plywood doublers. After the doublers are glued on I hope the two sides are exactly identical anymore - otherwise I've done something wrong.

Off to the hardware store to pick up some finishing resin, which I'll use to glue on the doublers and also later on when it's time to fiberglass the cowl.
Last edited by cbflys; Nov 27, 2013 at 06:13 PM.
Nov 28, 2013, 10:06 AM
Thread OP
Mixed up some finishing resin. I brushed it on the plywood doubler and used a thin piece of cardboard to scrape most of it off. The two sides were then stacked on top of one another separated by some wax paper.

There are many uses for LiPo batteries, one of them takes advantage of their weight. Filled up a small crate and used it to press the stack while it cures.
Last edited by cbflys; Nov 28, 2013 at 06:48 PM.
Nov 28, 2013, 11:58 AM
You may also like the generic 4-1/4" bathroom tiles for weights, which you can get at any home improvement store. I did some renovation work a few years ago and had a bunch left over. They stack flat and give good pressure in a small space. They're cheap and also work great for mixing epoxy on - I lay a little tape on it and mix on that tape.
Last edited by Joker 53150; Nov 29, 2013 at 01:35 PM.
Nov 28, 2013, 08:51 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the suggestion Joker ...

Well, that worked out well. And look - I've actually built a left AND a right side!
Nov 29, 2013, 12:41 AM
Übung macht den Meister..

James
Nov 29, 2013, 08:09 AM
In the middle of my own WWI build right now too, so I'm soaking up everyone else's build threads trying to learn as much as possible. I'm a builder at heart, but this is my first WWI build.

I also like using Titebond. Quick question, why epoxy on the doublers vs Titebond or something else?
Nov 29, 2013, 10:40 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dion9146 View Post
Quick question, why epoxy on the doublers vs Titebond or something else?
For me it's just a personal preference. I think the epoxy doesn't tend to want to warp the wood when laminating large surfaces.

And speaking of laminating, I'll probably be spending most of today's building session just laminating up some formers.
Nov 29, 2013, 09:28 PM
Thread OP
Fuselage formers and middle wing attachment plate must all be laminated. Former F3 is a jigsaw puzzle. Gotta make sure to square that baby up.
Last edited by cbflys; Nov 29, 2013 at 09:34 PM.
Nov 30, 2013, 05:59 AM
Jim in the Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbflys View Post
OK, got both fuselage sides framed out. I essentially built them one on top of the other. It's like the first one was cloned ;-) Sanded them nice and flat. I'm now ready to glue on the plywood doublers. After the doublers are glued on I hope the two sides are exactly identical anymore - otherwise I've done something wrong.

Off to the hardware store to pick up some finishing resin, which I'll use to glue on the doublers and also later on when it's time to fiberglass the cowl.
Hi, why did you choose finishing resin for this step (and it is different from epoxy?)?

Thanks. Beginner here...

EDIT: OK, I know why you did that, somebody beat me to the punch....

Jim
Last edited by cloud_9; Nov 30, 2013 at 06:14 AM.

Quick Reply