Jul 23, 2021, 02:36 PM
Hello!

My humble flights.
What are the general records for the minitalon?

Mini talon, flight 101km (23 min 38 sec)

Mini talon, altitude 12037m (16 min 31 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2021, 07:18 AM
iamwin
nice record you got there mate!
Jul 30, 2021, 07:09 AM
Just wondering, has anyone attempted to put a 3-axis gimbal under the CG of the Mini Talon? Instead of mounting it at the front of the nose, I was thinking of using mounting it under the airframe's CG for terrain survey.

I was thinking of attaching the landing gear to give it some clearance of about 130mm. The gimbal height is able 95-100mm, depending on the placement inside the airframe.
Last edited by AV8OR1; Jul 30, 2021 at 07:23 AM.
Jul 31, 2021, 11:19 AM
iamwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8OR1
Just wondering, has anyone attempted to put a 3-axis gimbal under the CG of the Mini Talon? Instead of mounting it at the front of the nose, I was thinking of using mounting it under the airframe's CG for terrain survey.

I was thinking of attaching the landing gear to give it some clearance of about 130mm. The gimbal height is able 95-100mm, depending on the placement inside the airframe.
doable, a bit tight section to work with but doable. this would be a lot easier if you have the Mini Talon V2/Talon Pro though.
Jul 31, 2021, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by epquilloy
doable, a bit tight section to work with but doable. this would be a lot easier if you have the Mini Talon V2/Talon Pro though.
Thanks for the reply epquilloy!

Wait a minute, there is a Mini Talon V2??? Or are you referring the Talon Pro as the Mini Talon V2? I would have went with the Talon Pro, but it seems there are more support, and parts (3d prints as well) for the Mini Talon.

I am trying to figure out which available gimbal out there that will fit the inside of the airframe. The width is about 80mm.

It seems the FeiYu Tech Mini3D or Mini3D Pro would work, but there are none in stock (out of production).

My only choice(s):
https://www.banggood.com/Tarot-TL3T0...N&rmmds=search
Maximum dimensions (LWH): 80mm * 90mm * 120mm

Maximum dimensions (LWH): 60 mm * 75 mm * 100mm

https://www.banggood.com/3-Axis-Brus...N&rmmds=search
Maximum dimensions (LWH): 80 x 80 x 100mm
Aug 01, 2021, 10:10 PM
iamwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8OR1
Thanks for the reply epquilloy!

Wait a minute, there is a Mini Talon V2??? Or are you referring the Talon Pro as the Mini Talon V2? I would have went with the Talon Pro, but it seems there are more support, and parts (3d prints as well) for the Mini Talon.

I am trying to figure out which available gimbal out there that will fit the inside of the airframe. The width is about 80mm.

It seems the FeiYu Tech Mini3D or Mini3D Pro would work, but there are none in stock (out of production).

My only choice(s):
Maximum dimensions (LWH): 80mm * 90mm * 120mm

Maximum dimensions (LWH): 60 mm * 75 mm * 100mm

https://www.banggood.com/3-Axis-Brus...N&rmmds=search
Maximum dimensions (LWH): 80 x 80 x 100mm
Yes, the Talon pro. While it's true that there is only few 3d files for the pro compared to the mini talon V1, it doesn't make it lesser, as you don't really need much modification on the talon pro unlike the v1.
Aug 02, 2021, 05:45 AM
Yeah, for sure its going to require a lot of modding. I didn't realize it until I received it, and closely inspecting the dimension, and having to calculate the CG.

I guess I will be putting it on the classified ad.
Aug 03, 2021, 01:39 AM
Your best bet is Ranger EX like I was saying. Way too much involved to get a gimbal, battery, & landing gear all to work on a MT & get CG. The MT2 is same as MT-PRO, or Talon Pro & still not gonna work very well for your plans. Ranger EX will do it without all the headache...
Aug 03, 2021, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrreddog
Your best bet is Ranger EX like I was saying. Way too much involved to get a gimbal, battery, & landing gear all to work on a MT & get CG. The MT2 is same as MT-PRO, or Talon Pro & still not gonna work very well for your plans. Ranger EX will do it without all the headache...
This
Aug 04, 2021, 11:05 AM
Where can I buy a plywood or plastic mount for the fuselage of the mini talon? Like this
https://cdn.thingiverse.com/renders/...eview_card.JPG
Aug 09, 2021, 07:58 PM
Hi guys,

While building my first mini Talon, I found a serious design flaw in the aileron control rod mechanism. I didn't find anyone talking about this .It's possible I missed it. I saw lots of posts about the tail servos misaligned with the hinge line which is really strange seeing a manufacturer designing like that. They copied the whole plane nicely from Skunkworks desert hawk but they couldn't figure out these very basic things???

Okay, back to the topic. I saw in this thread people complaining about aileron control rods bending due to being thin and weak.

But that's not the case!!!

Rods are bending due to the fact that the end connector (which is connected to the control horn)is not free to turn and gets locked when we tighten the supplied nut!! The end connector of the push rod should be able to turn freely when connected to the control horn. This issue can be partially solved by using a lock nut and leaving it a little loose so that it can turn freely. But it's not a proper fix as sharp edges of the brass threads will damage the nylon hole overtime and cause play. Proper way is to use a clevis type end connector. I modified my push rod with the parts I have and now it's moving so freely whereas It was hard to move and the rod was bending. The stock push rods are strong enough and they are not bending anymore. I wonder how in this world ,a manufacturer can skip this important point.

If you look at any brand name German, American or any quality RC model plane, you will see the difference in the push rod design mechanism.

So to the people who are beefing up their control rods with heat shrinks , No need to do that. Just rig up a rod with a clevis type connector and it will be fine. Not only will it take out the load from the servo but from the hinge too!!

Sorry if it's covered before but I could find a post about this issue and I am talking about Aileron rods only. Tail control rod mechanism is a different story which forces me to shake my head after looking at it.
Aug 09, 2021, 10:32 PM
Xuav must be aware of this issue because their newer planes such as the mini goose and talon pro have ball links, beefier rods and much better control horns too.
Aug 10, 2021, 11:43 AM
Glad they fixed in their newer planes.
Aug 10, 2021, 12:16 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_zx11
Hi guys,

While building my first mini Talon, I found a serious design flaw in the aileron control rod mechanism. I didn't find anyone talking about this .It's possible I missed it. I saw lots of posts about the tail servos misaligned with the hinge line which is really strange seeing a manufacturer designing like that. They copied the whole plane nicely from Skunkworks desert hawk but they couldn't figure out these very basic things???

Okay, back to the topic. I saw in this thread people complaining about aileron control rods bending due to being thin and weak.

But that's not the case!!!

Rods are bending due to the fact that the end connector (which is connected to the control horn)is not free to turn and gets locked when we tighten the supplied nut!! The end connector of the push rod should be able to turn freely when connected to the control horn. This issue can be partially solved by using a lock nut and leaving it a little loose so that it can turn freely. But it's not a proper fix as sharp edges of the brass threads will damage the nylon hole overtime and cause play. Proper way is to use a clevis type end connector. I modified my push rod with the parts I have and now it's moving so freely whereas It was hard to move and the rod was bending. The stock push rods are strong enough and they are not bending anymore. I wonder how in this world ,a manufacturer can skip this important point.

If you look at any brand name German, American or any quality RC model plane, you will see the difference in the push rod design mechanism.

So to the people who are beefing up their control rods with heat shrinks , No need to do that. Just rig up a rod with a clevis type connector and it will be fine. Not only will it take out the load from the servo but from the hinge too!!

Sorry if it's covered before but I could find a post about this issue and I am talking about Aileron rods only. Tail control rod mechanism is a different story which forces me to shake my head after looking at it.
I dislike the cheap push rods that come with sooooooooo many foamies. I usually replace with better hardware with quality screw clevis' and/or ball links...unless it's so cheapo plane that I really don't care if it crashes or not.
Aug 10, 2021, 12:59 PM
Yeah that makes sense.

Besides the cheap material, there is a serious design flaw in the linkage end connectors and tail servo position

Quick Reply