https://youtu.be/I4cYkFeAHeU
What motors/props you running? 4s?
Jan 10, 2020, 03:29 AM
Thanks Guys

The AUW is 1.9 kg with a 6600 mAh 4S
Props are HQ Prop 8x45
Motors HobbyBrother Avenger 2806.5 1300 kv
https://www.banggood.com/BrotherHobb...r_warehouse=CN

All 3D pieces are from Mark : http://www.itsqv.com/QVM/index.php?t...g_-_Mini_Talon
Jan 11, 2020, 05:04 PM
Got a flight in at the coast during our 3000km Christmas road trip to Queensland. The wife doesn't react any more when I quarantine the car boot for a flying toy, and our suitcases/bags/etc are on the back seat.

Hervey Bay FPV - X-UAV Mini Talon (4 min 42 sec)
Jan 12, 2020, 10:11 AM
I like the twin mod. I think one reason I haven’t finished my mini talon is the rear prop. I just don’t trust throwing a prop past my hand. I get by this on my wings by launching them from the side.
Jan 12, 2020, 03:30 PM
aka Nigel Uno
Chasing two FunJets with my 'heavy' MT with DJI HD FPV

Chilly and windy day - DJI HD FPV on FunJets and MiniTalon (2 min 44 sec)

Enjoy

/Luca
Jan 12, 2020, 03:35 PM

Is it worth trying fix this fuselage that got damaged during shipping?

Hi all,
My mini talon(only fuselage) got damaged while shipping and the store is sending me another one.But need your advice guys if its worth trying to fix it to keep it as a spare?If yes then how?Boiling water? Please advice.Thanks.
Jan 12, 2020, 09:46 PM
fools? at least i'm honest :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyincali
I just don’t trust throwing a prop past my hand..
that's funny, the scariest hand launch plane is with the prop are at the front because when you pull the plane to your back the prop are near to your face
you love your finger than your face
besides that hand launch the MT are safe! because it have vertical stabilizer to secure our finger from prop strike accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_zx11
Hi all,
My mini talon(only fuselage) got damaged while shipping and the store is sending me another one.But need your advice guys if its worth trying to fix it to keep it as a spare?If yes then how?Boiling water? Please advice.Thanks.
i think with warm water (don't with boiling water) keep in dip for 10 minutes my best bet the foam will back to normal shape again, that part not the hardest foam on MT (different story with the wing)

i've done that many times, so yes i'm sure your fuselage will pretty again
this is much worse from yours but it back again without a single melon skin
Mini Talon FLY - CRASH - CRY - REPAIR - REPEAT (1 hr 0 min 25 sec)
Last edited by korakora; Jan 12, 2020 at 09:55 PM. Reason: added video
Jan 13, 2020, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by korakora
that's funny, the scariest hand launch plane is with the prop are at the front because when you pull the plane to your back the prop are near to your face
you love your finger than your face
besides that hand launch the MT are safe! because it have vertical stabilizer to secure our finger from prop strike accident

i think with warm water (don't with boiling water) keep in dip for 10 minutes my best bet the foam will back to normal shape again, that part not the hardest foam on MT (different story with the wing)

i've done that many times, so yes i'm sure your fuselage will pretty again
this is much worse from yours but it back again without a single melon skin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTdIviEuVfM&t=2441s
Good job on the fast repair, wish I had a place to fly like that, looks perfect
Jan 14, 2020, 03:17 AM
fools? at least i'm honest :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommie
Good job on the fast repair, wish I had a place to fly like that, looks perfect
thanks mate! yeah let's say that was a noob fate so i had to repairing very often my "CRASHED" plane's
but let see the bright side of it, i repair my all plane just like making a coffee...easy
and sometimes when i got crashed in the field i said inside my heart "Yeaayyy...i have a homework" :lol

moral story from my experience is...don't losing hope when our plane going crash, repairing a crash plane is part from this hobby so just get used to it, just need to confidence it will pretty again !!

last crash with my FX-61, it crash so nasty it stall with spin from 80meters altitude on the hard field (oke that moment i cry all nite)

Zeta Phantom FX-61 #CRASH (39 min 40 sec)

but! let's see right now

hope encouraging ninja to do the same
Jan 15, 2020, 09:39 AM
Greetings. I've built a MiniTalon quadplane. It works fairly well, but I'm having problems in forward flight making turns.

A few weeks back I was in forward flight. Motor power was almost constant and fairly high (14-16 Amps at 6S…so about 360 watts). Speed was almost constant and fairly high at ~24 m/s (about 50 MPH).

As a turn was started, I was at 30 meters altitude and climbing at a good rate. Halfway thru the turn, I was at 45 meters. By the end of the turn, I was at 20 meters and very close to a tree.

During the 1st half of the turn, desired pitch and actual pitch were about the same. Mostly up at about 8-10%. Just before apogee, the actual pitch falls toward zero and desired pitch increases…briefly at 25%, then 16% falling to ~11% after a couple of seconds. This coincides with input from me on the rudder (I was trying to tighten the turn by adding rudder). Actual pitch bounced around a bit, but averaged around zero until going substantially negative at the last two seconds of the turn (-9.4 degrees at peak). By now, the plane was losing altitude fast.

With some input from a friend, I figured out why this happened. The V-Tail is angled at about 45 degrees. This means that when the plane rolls into a turn at 45 degrees, one V-tail surface is perfectly horizontal and one is perfectly vertical. Effectively, one vtail looks like a horizontal stabilizer with an elevator and the other looks like a vertical stabilizer with a rudder.

So…if I power up the servos on my plane, in manual mode and hold it in my hands:
With the plane commanded to do a max roll and max pitch up, one vtail banks to horizontal and provides a single surface (of the two vtails) effectively providing full upward elevator deflection. The other vtail looks like a rudder and it is properly deflecting to assist the turn (kicking the aft end out so that the nose points inside the turn).

I this flight's turn to left (port) the TX stick was moved to bottom and to left. The ailerons command the roll. The port vtail becomes horizontal and the control surface is an elevator asking for max upward pitch. The right vtail becomes vertical and pushes the aft end of the plane way from the direction of the turn (thus pushing the plane to yaw into the turn). All good so far.

When full left rudder is added, the horizontal vtail (port) goes to neutral (no longer calling for any pitch up). The vertical vtail (starboard) doesn’t move from its already deflected position.
Thus, the rudder stick, instead of commanding more yaw becomes an anti-elevator control (when the plane is banked 45 degrees and is commanded to have full pitch up). It does nothing for yaw.

In FBWA mode the behavior is the same.

So, I can see why my attempt to tighten the turn by adding rudder failed (I’d use the term “spectacularly” except that it barely avoided a crash). Adding rudder fully cancels any elevator up pitch and lets the plane head towards the ground.

Is this just an indication that the Vtail for a Mini Talon is just too small (or the control surface on the Vtail) for it to turn well?
Jan 15, 2020, 12:42 PM
KG7TTQ - Las Vegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRonald
Greetings. I've built a MiniTalon quadplane. It works fairly well, but I'm having problems in forward flight making turns.

A few weeks back I was in forward flight. Motor power was almost constant and fairly high (14-16 Amps at 6S…so about 360 watts). Speed was almost constant and fairly high at ~24 m/s (about 50 MPH).

As a turn was started, I was at 30 meters altitude and climbing at a good rate. Halfway thru the turn, I was at 45 meters. By the end of the turn, I was at 20 meters and very close to a tree.

During the 1st half of the turn, desired pitch and actual pitch were about the same. Mostly up at about 8-10%. Just before apogee, the actual pitch falls toward zero and desired pitch increases…briefly at 25%, then 16% falling to ~11% after a couple of seconds. This coincides with input from me on the rudder (I was trying to tighten the turn by adding rudder). Actual pitch bounced around a bit, but averaged around zero until going substantially negative at the last two seconds of the turn (-9.4 degrees at peak). By now, the plane was losing altitude fast.

With some input from a friend, I figured out why this happened. The V-Tail is angled at about 45 degrees. This means that when the plane rolls into a turn at 45 degrees, one V-tail surface is perfectly horizontal and one is perfectly vertical. Effectively, one vtail looks like a horizontal stabilizer with an elevator and the other looks like a vertical stabilizer with a rudder.

So…if I power up the servos on my plane, in manual mode and hold it in my hands:
With the plane commanded to do a max roll and max pitch up, one vtail banks to horizontal and provides a single surface (of the two vtails) effectively providing full upward elevator deflection. The other vtail looks like a rudder and it is properly deflecting to assist the turn (kicking the aft end out so that the nose points inside the turn).

I this flight's turn to left (port) the TX stick was moved to bottom and to left. The ailerons command the roll. The port vtail becomes horizontal and the control surface is an elevator asking for max upward pitch. The right vtail becomes vertical and pushes the aft end of the plane way from the direction of the turn (thus pushing the plane to yaw into the turn). All good so far.

When full left rudder is added, the horizontal vtail (port) goes to neutral (no longer calling for any pitch up). The vertical vtail (starboard) doesn’t move from its already deflected position.
Thus, the rudder stick, instead of commanding more yaw becomes an anti-elevator control (when the plane is banked 45 degrees and is commanded to have full pitch up). It does nothing for yaw.

In FBWA mode the behavior is the same.

So, I can see why my attempt to tighten the turn by adding rudder failed (I’d use the term “spectacularly” except that it barely avoided a crash). Adding rudder fully cancels any elevator up pitch and lets the plane head towards the ground.

Is this just an indication that the Vtail for a Mini Talon is just too small (or the control surface on the Vtail) for it to turn well?

I would suggest you post over on the "Most Integrated Ardupilot Flight Controller (ChiBios)" thread as this is where the knowledge base can really cover tuning parameters. You'll want to add what FC and software version to your post.

Thread-
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-%28ChiBios%29

One excellent resource on that thred who sometimes jumps on this thread is Atx-Heli. You may want to ping him as well-
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=246496

Cheers,
Mark
Jan 16, 2020, 01:33 PM
NE Texas, USA
Does anyone know where to source this type of connector?
Jan 16, 2020, 02:27 PM
AMA 697691 / FAA 13675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchitagain
Does anyone know where to source this type of connector?
Those are Dean's 4-pin Micro Connectors:
AMain Hobbies
Amazon
Batteries America
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Jan 16, 2020, 05:39 PM
NE Texas, USA
awesome, many thanks..

Quick Reply