Sep 18, 2019, 01:17 PM
Interesting. Txs for the info.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2019, 06:09 AM
Maker of things
moar Talon! just sing out if you want me to stop hijacking the thread for my build

Glued the two halves of the fuselage together with Gorilla glue and also glued in some nylon standoffs to screw the canopy into

Loving the appearance

1.2ghz RHCP antenna mounted in the 3d printed part

Hacked a servo for continuous rotation by removing the physical limiter and disconnecting the pot to use two fixed 1K resistors instead

Installed the Run Cam Split 2 board in a way that allows me to access the MicroSD card externally

Pretty stoked with the profile - it should be decently aerodynamic especially compared against the dudes running gopros and full size FPV cams on the exterior of these things

quick snap of it in action
Talon 360 pan FPV cam (0 min 13 sec)

I think I finally got a win with the motor - these collet style prop adapters are fking shite. I picked up this grub screw one instead and it finally seems balanced
Sep 19, 2019, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerFlite
moar Talon! just sing out if you want me to stop hijacking the thread for my build
I think I finally got a win with the motor - these collet style prop adapters are fking shite. I picked up this grub screw one instead and it finally seems balanced...
Nice work.

Keep in mind that there is an inherent problem with the pusher prop set-up, that means the issue may not lie in the adaptor itself (although some of them ARE indeed s***e): The mounting, reference plane of the prop is on the rear, also on the pusher/reverse rotation props, and we mount them with their non-reference front face towards the seat of the adaptor. The adaptor nut and washer gets to sit on the reference plane, which is not ideal. In some cases, I have been able to cure the issue by placing a rubber or soft fibre washer in front of the prop to let nut and washed do the alignment job on the reference face of the prop.

First try turning the prop around and if you're able to make run smoothly, the issue lies in the reversed mounting, and a rubber washer may sort it.
Sep 19, 2019, 04:13 PM
Maker of things
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o
the issue may not lie in the adaptor itself ... First try turning the prop around and if you're able to make run smoothly, the issue lies in the reversed mounting, and a rubber washer may sort it.
Legend, I will give that a go this evening. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
Sep 19, 2019, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Keep the pics coming. Your 360 servo mod works well. Fair weight saving compared to the GWS sail winch servos that many use. It looks like you still have a fair amount of there resolution. I like your split setup too with quick access to the SD card. I'm not a big fan of those prop adapters, just make sure you check it often. Good luck with the rest of your build.
Sep 21, 2019, 04:05 AM
Maker of things
hi all. dumb question to which I cannot find an answer anywhere. I have a Matek F405-Wing running iNav. Which outputs to I plug which servo into?

https://github.com/iNavFlight/inav/w...ail-fixed-wing

I have read this but obviously 'servo 0' and so on as described in the smix doesn't correspond to the labelling on the board so I'm no closer to an answer, nor can I find that mapping documented. It also doesn't describe which smix is the left/right ruddervator, ailerons, etc so even once I figure out the port I still don't know which servo it applies to

Cheers
Sep 21, 2019, 04:17 AM
Quote:
hi all. dumb question to which I cannot find an answer anywhere. I have a Matek F405-Wing running iNav. Which outputs to I plug which servo into?

https://github.com/iNavFlight/inav/w...ail-fixed-wing

I have read this but obviously 'servo 0' and so on as described in the smix doesn't correspond to the labelling on the board so I'm no closer to an answer, nor can I find that mapping documented. It also doesn't describe which smix is the left/right ruddervator, ailerons, etc so even once I figure out the port I still don't know which servo it applies to

Cheers
I know it's not what you asked, but I'd recommend you to flash arduplane. It's a lot easier to set up, it flies better, and it's more reliable than iNav.
Sep 21, 2019, 07:29 AM
Maker of things
Sorry but no thanks... Unless arduplane/APM has undergone a massive overhaul to improve its useability since the last time I used it, IMO, iNav is to Arduplane what the mouse cursor was to the command line... If you haven't tried it out in the last year or so i suggest you revisit it, a lot has changed with iNav to fill in the gaps and I've never had a single issue or bug

I just feel like iNav has really strong continued development with a focus on modernising the whole process, but almost no major updates to APM / Mission Planner in a long time
Sep 21, 2019, 09:53 AM
KG7TTQ - Las Vegas
Quote:
Sorry but no thanks... Unless arduplane/APM has undergone a massive overhaul to improve its useability since the last time I used it, IMO, iNav is to Arduplane what the mouse cursor was to the command line... If you haven't tried it out in the last year or so i suggest you revisit it, a lot has changed with iNav to fill in the gaps and I've never had a single issue or bug

I just feel like iNav has really strong continued development with a focus on modernising the whole process, but almost no major updates to APM / Mission Planner in a long time
??
Clearly, you haven't been following APM development. It is far more mature, fly's much better, and is way more reliable than iNav (to date). I fly both and there simply is no comparison. Also, the embedded OSD is excellent

In the last year there have been quite a few "strong developments" and major updates. I've even taken my ET Vectors out to replace them with Matek F405's and the Chibios/Arduplane package. Of course the new TriTalon VTOL will be on Arduplane as well!

But that's just me...
Mark
Sep 21, 2019, 10:33 AM
Totally agree with Mark.Ardupilot is much more reliable.

I like using arduplane's airspeed functionality while flying in Windy conditions.
Sep 21, 2019, 10:34 AM
Quote:

Maybe you do not really understand the nature of the differences. Ardupilot is a far more capable and far more sophisticated autopilot with a vast array of possible sensors that operate together in a far more sophisticated and robust manner. You are confusing a UI (User Interface) with an autopilot. It is true that iNav has a cleaner configurator. The development with Ardupilot has been quite radical and far eclipses the activity in iNav both now and in recent years. Both quantitively and qualitatively. Here are the changes upcoming for the 4.0 beta release. No point in getting too deep into the technical side of things. One feature on that list: Running LUA scripting on the autopilot itself will be a profound development allowing for very customized features -- mountain, valley or flatland specific RTL actions selected without recompiling and reflashing, for example.

And Mission Planner has constant (monthly) updates to keep up with the autopilot develpments -- it is just that the UI has not had an overhaul. You can always use QGroundControl which is slick and modern and has many of the same features (and eclipses any iNav GCS software and it runs on Mac,PC, iPad, Android, ).

Now that said, Ardupilot is not for everyone and is a maybe bit more demanding to set up first time -- not much though. And iNav is perfectly ok and will fly your plane just fine. And it has better features for camera control: Runcam protocol and Smart Audio. So it is great to have choices. And you are fully entitled to your opinion but I just want to post the clarification. If you want to fly a state-of-the-art autopilot you should be flying Ardupilot. But I am also a fan of iNav as it is a great starting point for hobbyists and it does the job.
Last edited by Marc Dornan; Sep 21, 2019 at 10:55 AM.
Sep 21, 2019, 11:58 AM
KG7TTQ - Las Vegas
@Marc Dornan
Thanks for a much better statement!

@DangerFlite
In re-reading my response to your post, I may have been a little abrupt and apologies for that. The view expressed was my own opinion based on lots of experience but as Marc points out it's great to have the choices we have. Also, since I have played in the APM space since 2012, I may take for granted my personal ease of use. Also, I only fly inav on a couple small planes and have not utilized many of the current features or the latest boards.

Cheers
Mark
Sep 21, 2019, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q
@Marc Dornan
Thanks for a much better statement!

@DangerFlite
In re-reading my response to your post, I may have been a little abrupt and apologies for that. The view expressed was my own opinion based on lots of experience but as Marc points out it's great to have the choices we have. Also, since I have played in the APM space since 2012, I may take for granted my personal ease of use. Also, I only fly inav on a couple small planes and have not utilized many of the current features or the latest boards.

Cheers
Mark
@MarkQ you are so polite that even when you think you are being abrupt you really are not.

I really downplayed the technical superiority as well. My concern is that people realize that Ardupilot is pretty peerless as flying planes and certainly is not some dated thing. NASA and the DOD have had cause to use Ardupilot, and not iNav, as do many commercial businesses. For the simple reason is that it has been conceived as a UAV autopilot. The fact that this has been ported to Betaflight/iNav F4/F7 boards with built-in OSDs was possible due to ripping out Nuttx and using Chibios as the underpinning was due to epic work by the Developers. It is a fun time in the hobby when you can pilot a plane autonomously with a $32 integrated FC board. Ardupilot runs on a Beaglebone, Raspberry Pi or F4/F7 board quite happily.

So whether you use iNav or Ardupilot in your Mini Talon think about supporting in any way you can the selfless Devs of both projects that make it possible.
Sep 21, 2019, 08:31 PM
Maker of things
thanks all for the info Not at any point did I perceive any of that as abrupt, and I fully expected the response I got haha. I do know APM has far more depth, I was definitely coming at it purely from a hobbyist / basic-use-case point of view; ie. just wanting to fly stabilised, with RTH, and a couple of sensors and a telemetry stream.

You're right, it's down to the configurator versus Mission Planner and that's where my preference is. Two or three minutes and a brand new FC is flashed and configured and ready to go.
Sep 22, 2019, 09:57 AM
Just a couple frames from a recent flight with CUFLYN. We started working up the bench of the mountains hopefully we get at least one more tandem flight before the weather goes to complete crap here.

Quick Reply