Mar 06, 2019, 01:51 PM
I am always using a ground station( to almost all my birds) when i am flying, so 2-way telemetry is a must. Even when not mapping or such, i like to monitor every aspect of what is going on.
Besides that, its wonderful what these little controllers are capable of, with all the tech inside them. So i m trying to make full use of them
Last edited by AeriaLshot; Mar 06, 2019 at 02:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2019, 02:00 PM
Flying at twilight
Like a Bird (1 min 54 sec)
Mar 06, 2019, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeriaLshot
Niiice playground ( I trust the airport is not in use anymore ) and lovely video!
Mar 06, 2019, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Is that Helinikon airport -- the old international airport? How cool is that! Can you actually fly out of there? Or was that a sneaky flight?
Mar 06, 2019, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o
Niiice playground ( I trust the airport is not in use anymore ) and lovely video!
Thank you Mike! Yes u trust correct.
Mar 06, 2019, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Dornan
Is that Helinikon airport -- the old international airport? How cool is that! Can you actually fly out of there? Or was that a sneaky flight?
You ve done your homework! You are right, its the old international airport of Athens Hellinikon, that is out of service from 2001.No manned aerial vehicles are allowed to land or takeoff there.
Yes we can fly there, this specific flight was submitted in DAGR and was valid under HCAA(Hellenic Civil Aviation Athority).
Last edited by AeriaLshot; Mar 06, 2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: grammar
Mar 06, 2019, 07:29 PM
Quote:
You ve done your homework! You are right, its the old international airport of Athens Hellinikon, that is out of service from 2001.No manned aerial vehicles are allowed to land or takeoff there.
Yes we can fly there, this specific flight was submitted in DAGR and was valid under HCAA(Hellenic Civil Aviation Athority).
Last landed there in 1999. Def packing my planes up when I next come. Maybe this summer if not sooner.
Mar 07, 2019, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Dornan
With QCZEK LRS (or Dragon Link but that is expensive) you can just use the one 433 Dipole and have long range RC and Telem. I PMed you about that.
One-way telemetry yes. I also considered QCZEK LRS but I was dissapointed about the one-way telemetry, and also a subset of the MAVLink messages. On the other hand it is not expensive.

But usually I modify some settings and upload a flight plan in the field. In that case the 3DR telemetry of just bluetooth works fine.
Last edited by testuser0001; Mar 07, 2019 at 08:00 AM.
Mar 07, 2019, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by testuser0001
One-way telemetry yes. I also considered QCZEK LRS but I was dissapointed about the one-way telemetry, and also a subset of the MAVLink messages. On the other hand it is not expensive.

But usually I modify some settings and upload a flight plan in the field. In that case the 3DR telemetry of just bluetooth works fine.
It drives Yaapu LUA scripts just fine with an SPort Passthrough convertor. I have DL and ULRS (not used now) but I use QCZEK on a few planes. The big plus is simplicity and cost — at $7 for a 1w module.
Mar 08, 2019, 07:23 AM
Flight school dropout
Has anyone with a twin prop mini talon tried lower motor mounts? It seems like having the motors so far above the CG line causes dramatic pitch down on takeoff.

@markq: can you design some under wing motor mounts?
Mar 08, 2019, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toypilot
Has anyone with a twin prop mini talon tried lower motor mounts? It seems like having the motors so far above the CG line causes dramatic pitch down on takeoff.

cant you shim some upthrust in the motors?....you would have to lower them a lot, I would think....
Mar 08, 2019, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atx_Heli
cant you shim some upthrust in the motors?....you would have to lower them a lot, I would think....
I tried this. Found that it flies best in stock shape - single pusher. And even with the shims and upthrust the launch was scary. In the end considered it not worth the pain.
Mar 08, 2019, 10:12 AM
KG7TTQ - Las Vegas
Quote:

Yes, of course

Currently the twin thrust line is 45mm above the original motor thrustline.

Is this low enough? (Shown with a 2209 motor and 8" prop)

It is 12mm lower and is based on a set I did for the Strix Stratosurfer and Phoenix/Volantex planes. It is much smaller and lighter than the ones I did for the MT and has a removable motor mount. Here is the assembly as it sits on my Stratosurfer-

Here is more info on the Stratosurfer conversion-
https://www.itsqv.com/QVM/index.php?...win_Conversion
Shown with 6" props-

Here is how it looks at -21mm

Now, what do you really want
Oh, and let's not forget about prop strikes on landing...

Mark

(BTW, you can always launch with a super simple bungee)
Last edited by mark_q; Mar 08, 2019 at 10:21 AM.
Mar 08, 2019, 10:47 AM
KG7TTQ - Las Vegas

Sunnysky USA

For those who live in the USA, Sunnysky now has a USA warehouse in OHIO. It doesn't have everything (yet) but it does have the 2216-1250 for $18.99.

https://sunnyskyusa.com/

I didn't see the new X2220 V3 but if enough people requested it I'm sure they would accommodate.

Cheers all!
Mark
Latest blog entry: Hobby Vacuum Former
Mar 08, 2019, 04:07 PM
Quote:

Interesting you mention this as I just printed the wing mounts by Mark and getting ready to order the motors. Made this mod on my StratoSurfer and the initial flights are very promising (Matek F405 Wing/INAV). But definitely needs more testing . Is almost silent when flying overhead with 50% throttle. Initial flights indicate it possibly will pull 6amps or less at 35 MPH on a 4S. The motors are 2208/1100kv from RTFQ as their 35A ESCs. Planning on using these on the MT conversion.
Think it might be a good idea to start a “Twin Mini Talon” thread? Could get some interesting feedback.

Just noticed that Mark has already posted lowered motor mounts. He is amazing in his designs and response. The motor mounts and other things fit like a glove!.. Thanks again Mark. Will probably try the lowered mounts on the MT

And what Mark says about the bungee launch in great advice. I use this on most all of these types of planes and NEVER have a launch issue>

Quick Reply