J-Boat Ranger - Page 5 - RC Groups
Aug 16, 2015, 07:38 AM
Wow, that is not good.

Well, good news is I have one here for you and I will pack it up and send it. Shoot me a pm with your shipping address and I will get it out next week.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2015, 07:44 AM
Schrott,

Check out Larry's Webpage: http://www.ludwigrcyachts.com/
I assume this is fairly recent as I ordered from him a year ago and he did not use DHL then.

Tim
"Endeavor" #206
Vermont
Aug 20, 2015, 09:35 PM
Hey, got a freight quote and sent you a PM. Let me know.

SJ
Aug 25, 2015, 06:10 PM
Kraut
Casted the 2 pieces. Than I had naturally some grinding sanding to do. Very good on lead is a horse shoer rasp
Than I welded the pieces together and more rasping was needed.
Next step, 3 1/4 inch holes, throught which the stainless bolts go.
Inside the hull there will be 3 allthread connectors, glue in and sealed.
That way I can take the extension from the outside off.
Sep 22, 2015, 01:54 PM

Enterprises

Hi Schrott,

We've been following your thread. Sorry to hear about your illness, advice well headed at the end.

My neighbor and I are collaborating on 2 J boats. Though not the big ones, we have been drooling over build blogs like this. You are truly a superb craftsman, please don't stop. We will garner so many ideas here.

Maybe we'll start a build blog as well, I'm sure I will be shooting pics for self engrandizing anyhow.
Jan 31, 2018, 10:12 PM
Kraut
Has been a long time.

I am trying to restart the project. I probably started the project at the wrong time, to many offers, promises got broken and at one point it got just to frustrating and I wrote it off as a loss.
So a nother try.
Changed my approach to the boat, I will built my own Ranger, scale as much as possible and just call it Schrott.

There is a guy in Canada who does laser cut Endeavor parts, from him I get all the deck structures from Endeavor and the king plank.
Once those are in, I will use what I like and leave out what I do not like. The nice thing I can supply my choice of wood for the king plank.
I do not like mahogany, everybody uses it, its a boring wood on top of it.
My choice is Juniper ( gin is nice ), and for outside and structures walnut.

For the mast, I will go for around 10 feet or so. I have to built it out of carbon. Carbon is new to me. But a friend of mine gave me some advises and now I am searching for the tooth pick material and contacted some folks. 30mm od and a wall of 3mm. I would like to have it in one piece.
Quiet a stick
Doing a deck, cutting planks and so on is nothing new, but the mast, will be a new experience, to which I look forward.

So.

Do not expect anything to happen, it will take several weeks, maybe a month, till I will dust of that hull in the corner.

But I am back to building a boat.
Feb 01, 2018, 10:15 AM
Good luck Schrott ...

Understand ... we all have life issues ...
that cause delays in our boat building projects - BUT REMEMBER - a hobby is one of the best therapy and medicine

All the best and good luck
Feb 01, 2018, 11:55 AM
Kraut
Thanks.

I guess I found the core stick for the mast.

https://www.rockwestcomposites.com/r...tubing/35048-u

Now I need a smaller pipe for the keep and some carbon fiber hose and West system and of we go.
I can get all that stuff from the same company.
Feb 03, 2018, 08:20 PM
Kraut
Everyting is on order or on its way.

One thing that has stuck into my mind and still sticks. The original plans from the 30s use a lot of pine, not oak, or mahogany, just pine.
Good enough for structural strength, but with salt water.
The deck, according to plans, was TNG pine, 2.5 inches thick.
The Ranger was a one race pony, I think. Built to this specific task, as good and fast as possible and as cheap.
It did its trick and than was discarded, meant to be discarded.
Feb 13, 2018, 08:07 PM
Kraut
While my orders are underway I have started to work on the outside plank. Normally this would be painted aluminum.
I choose Bolivian Rosewood. The wood is spectacular but hard as steel and a pig to work with. I have a 5 feet by 2.5 inches by 6inches board standing around.
I cut 6 slices of it, 50mm x 6mm. Used up a brand new 10 inch blade, carbon tipped. Than the thickness planer got punished, it will need knew knifes.
Than the real fun started. I cut planks out of those slices, 20mm wide that follow the line of the hull, now it was time for the table jig saw to suffer.
I went through 20 blades already and have still 2 3feet section to cut.
I refuse to think about the sanding job.
That I am sure will require some Whisky and Beer to survive.
Feb 14, 2018, 05:50 PM
Careful with the sanding. Dust is toxic.
Feb 14, 2018, 11:00 PM
Kraut
Oh hell I am to old to worry about toxic.

Today the big stick came in, it is within scale, but man does it look huge.
First I thought I made a big mistake, wasting money, but than I put a 30mm circle on the desk and it is with in the limits.
But man it is huge, 1.1 inches and 10 feet long. That will need to get used to. I am still waiting for the pipes for the keep.
The hull was always huge, but it was just huge. But if you put that stick on it and look at it, than one realize how truly huge those boats are.
Uff
Feb 17, 2018, 08:14 PM
Kraut
Finally got all the outer planks cut.
Staring to glue them to the deck.
Feb 18, 2018, 10:16 PM
Kraut
The outer plank is on and got a first sanding.
Most important for was the joints.
They turned out good.
I had to recut one part, I did not like the fit. I am glad I did it, it would have p... me off for ever.

Now I will work on some of the hatches and wait for the other stuff to come in.
Feb 20, 2018, 08:19 PM
Kraut
Today Rick Shousha's stuff came in. Since we have some rather fresh conditions outside, I took some care to adjust his stuff to my 82 degree room temps. I did not want it to warp going from 0F to 80 to fast.

The parts look great.
I just stuck a skylight together to see the fit, very nice.
Naturally we are never happy 100%. Since the ply structures have to be covered with real wood, I plan on using Walnut, some Rosewood and Teak, some of the exposed ply structures, I will have to replace, with the final wood.
Its not a mistake by Rick, opposite, having the cut ply, gives me a template.
The skylight, in the picture has the beam across, it will be easier for me, to use Rick's parts as a template and make it out of Walnut.

Rick super Job, by all means.

Quick Reply