Dec 22, 2013, 02:13 PM
Hello Guys,

I am building this plane for the fun of it as well for having which is midly aerobatic which can do aerobatics in a scale like manner. The plane may also do double duty as trainer which I can use to give people a taste of RC flying (on a buddy box way up there...). I fly pattern as well (or at least trying to....) so I can always fly those planes when I am looking for high performance. At any rate...

Lukes: Looking good. Just saw your latest photos. I think that for the ignition and R/C system you should keep the power sources separate. You can always fly the plane without the engine running, but not without the radio. Also keep in mind that this aeroplane is capable of aerobatics but it will not be as good at it as a decent sport, IMAC or pattern plane. Many years ago I attended a full scale aerobatic competition and the lower classes were dominated by Decathlons (the follow up plane to the Citabria Pro). Those pilots really had to work at it to make their rolls straight and loops round. This video might give you an idea of what the real plane might have been capable of:

Greg Koontz 2012 Super Decathlon Airshow Routine (2 min 26 sec)

Charlie: The plane has a large removable belly pan which runs all of the way up to the firewall. I can in principle, place the battery against the firewall. Also, the fuselage might be deep enough to accomodate the battery vertically which would allow me to place much of its weight as far forward as it can be. For the fuse, the changes might be limited to a 1/8" ply firewall instead of the 1/4" provided and changing the sides from 1/4 to 1/8. The motor box will be built off the firewall so I think that the 1/8 ply is adequate. Some of the internal reinforcements might be lightened up as well (ie 1" tri stock to brace the firewall...). We will see.

Thanks,

Teo
Last edited by viva_peru; Dec 22, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2013, 06:34 PM
Thread OP
That was a very good example video, I hadn't seen that one. I also looked at decathlons for reference as the +/- g loadings are the same and the decathlon from what I see is basically a closed cabin Cit-Pro. It looks pretty much exactly where I wanted to go next, mostly fun aerobatics, it doesn't have to do them perfectly, but it would make a fun challenge to see how good one could get. It will be a great plane to grow with I think.

When will you be starting your build?
Dec 22, 2013, 07:55 PM
I started a few days ago, but I have only gone as far a cutting out the ribs, formers and making a new firewall. I am pretty slow and only work on it when I have the time and desire to do so. I will probably start with the fuselage frames over the next couple of days. I have family coming from out of town, so time will be at a premium. I am thinking that I might make a build log, but I normally like to get ahead a little so that I can post photos on a more regular basis.

Teo
Dec 22, 2013, 08:05 PM
Thread OP
Ok so here we have the wing done up to the point where im going to move on for now. The aileron and servo tray are taped in place for now while i wait for the slotting tool and i also have to get a couple little screws for the tray to secure it to the wing, i dont have any that small. i sawed off the excess on the root and sanded the edges of the root flush and i also flushed the last rib. I'll do the wingtips and other shape sanding when both halves are completed. So next will be the center piece, and rudder. There doesnt look to be a whole lot to either of those so they should go right along when i start them.
Dec 22, 2013, 08:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by viva_peru
I started a few days ago, but I have only gone as far a cutting out the ribs, formers and making a new firewall. I am pretty slow and only work on it when I have the time and desire to do so. I will probably start with the fuselage frames over the next couple of days. I have family coming from out of town, so time will be at a premium. I am thinking that I might make a build log, but I normally like to get ahead a little so that I can post photos on a more regular basis.

Teo
Yep it is definetly the holiday season, between shopping and other stuff ill probably have some time to build. Ill definetly love to see pictures as you go along.
Dec 22, 2013, 08:29 PM
Thread OP
I also wanted to post that i FINALLY after what seemed like forever got to fly my Glasair. I havnt made skis for it yet and didnt have anywhere i could take it off from. well, we have some snow and then we got TONS of freezing rain (awesome right? ) and the result of that was aside from really terrible roads was that it put a pretty thick layer of ice on top of the snow, which turned my entire field into a giant runway so i had a couple flights yesterday, it wasnt overly cold and my transmitter glove kept my hands warm, it really felt good to be behind the sticks of it again. I would have gotten a few more if it wasnt for batteries needing charging and them some more freezing rain (really great weather huh?) through the day, but i guess ill take them as i get them.
Dec 22, 2013, 08:52 PM
Thread OP
somewhat off topic, as a result of the freezing rain i walked out yesterday to find these icicles still hanging from the roof, they were pretty cool. I couldnt believe they hadnt fallen off the roof yet!
Dec 22, 2013, 11:56 PM
Neophyte hacker
Teo,

Sounds like a good plan. My YMF has the batteries vertical against the firewall and that way I didn't have to add any extra nose weight.

charlie
Dec 27, 2013, 07:30 PM
Hi,

I started working on the fuselage frames and noticed that the drawings do not quite match the plywood doublers. According to the drawings, the doublers are about 1/16" too short. I had to reposition the mid 3/8" upright in order for it to line up with the doubler. Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind when building the fuselage.

Teo
Dec 27, 2013, 09:08 PM
Thread OP
Hmm i'll have to look at that when i get there. i have the rudder and center wing under the glass and got some new tools for christmas so i hope to have both of those done this weekend or at least mostly, i didnt have any time these last few days, too much going on. hopefully this weekend ill have lots of time
Dec 29, 2013, 10:54 AM
Thread OP
well today is the day fellas (and fellettes?) i have some time to build. so far i have some of the center framed up. more to come as the day progresses but doing that sure didnt take long using the CA to tack it all in place using wood glue as the main bond
Dec 29, 2013, 01:58 PM
Nice! In my experience, those outside ribs were never long enough to mate properly with the wing. In both kits I built, I had to craft tips out of wood blocks. Was sort of a pain...
Dec 29, 2013, 02:12 PM
Thread OP
in this one they are also not, they have it on the plans to make tips to extend them to accomodate for the trailing edge, they are being a pain right now to put on. it would be nice if they were long enough though. im waiting for them to dry more before i try and move it as they look like they are pretty fragile. im probably going to start the rudder while i wait
Dec 29, 2013, 02:46 PM
They are very fragile! I broke mine off at least once on both of my builds
Dec 29, 2013, 04:04 PM
Thread OP
Ouch thats not good.

So i got more of the center done and the small beginnings of the rudder going. When i was building the elevator they said to cut a little filler piece in a triangle shape for the top where the centered tapered piece is and they were a bit vague about what piece to use. so not being able to find a piece that was pretty close in size already i cut a piece of 3/8x1" off a piece of stock that came with the kit and would cross that bridge when i found where it was supposed to go. well i found it, it is the bottom piece for the rudder that rests on top of the elevator. Im not overly worried because i was going to make the tail removable and was going to have bolts pass through the bottom to hold it down and balsa probably wouldnt work, i have some 3/8 bass that ill probably either use and secure a little better or get something a little wider to use. not sure yet. I totally got one of those little triangles on the center piece off by a fair bit but for now im just going to let it dry and build it up after, i feel this is easier than cutting it off and re-gluing.

Quick Reply