Sep 23, 2021, 01:26 PM
hi all, having a bit of a problem with the retracts leaking. it leaking around the piston seal from the end where the piston exits the ram which connects to the trunion. it seems to be ok when the wheels are locked up but sometimes one leg won't come down. i have tried a bit of 3 in 1 oil on the seal but no luck, all looks ok and can't see any scratches? any ideas apart from the obvious change the seal ( not sure how i would go about that)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2021, 02:48 PM
Piston rod seal leaking see last post
Sep 23, 2021, 05:44 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Thread OP
I found no way around it. I changed all the o rings and haven't had a problem since.
Sep 23, 2021, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason russell
Piston rod seal leaking see last post
Jason, I have similar problem with the left LG retract, air is leaking past the piston seal. The retracts are ESM for the 50cc Spitfire and I cannot find the correct O-ring to fit the piston. I tried SAE and Metric O-ring replacement kits but no luck so far. The O-rings in the kits are either too small or too large for the retract piston.
Sep 24, 2021, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcesR
Jason, I have similar problem with the left LG retract, air is leaking past the piston seal. The retracts are ESM for the 50cc Spitfire and I cannot find the correct O-ring to fit the piston. I tried SAE and Metric O-ring replacement kits but no luck so far. The O-rings in the kits are either too small or too large for the retract piston.
Don't get kits, they rarely have usable sizes, only " emergency" use.

Simply google "O-rings" and you will get sites like McMaster-Carr in the US, or basically every country has its specialized O-ring vendor.
There you will find any size imaginable.
Measure inner diameter of the cylinder, and diameter at the bottom of the groove in the piston (or rod diameter and groove depth in the gland) and go from there.
Select a ring that has about 0,1~0,2 overthickness, and a diameter that makes it fit snug but not tight around the piston, or ditto in the groove of the gland.
Lube with some petroleum jelly or plain simple (teflon)grease and you should be good to go.
Sep 24, 2021, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster
I found no way around it. I changed all the o rings and haven't had a problem since.
Did you have the hobby king retracts? If so how did you get the end of the barrel apart to change the I ring there? I just found a set of spares in the retract box 😊😊😊

Cheers in advance Jason
Sep 24, 2021, 04:01 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Thread OP
I don't recall my friend.. I posted about it in this thread. You'll have to go back a few pages. They were the ones recommend by HK when I bought it.

It's page 8
Last edited by vettster; Sep 24, 2021 at 05:06 PM.
Sep 25, 2021, 03:06 AM
Cheers, I found the bit. Looks like you just pulled the o ring out without taking it apart.
Sep 28, 2021, 10:01 AM
That is simply beautiful.

Quick Reply