Nov 23, 2013, 03:01 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Kwik Fli III - Thread

This is an open thread for all things Kwik Fli III.

In February 1968 Model Airplane News published Phil Kraft’s article about his award winning Kwik Fli III design. The design was quickly released as a Top Flite kit and was very, very popular. In fact, even today, when a Top Flite kit is listed on ebay they still generate a lot of interest and aggressive bidding.

Shortly after the publication of the design, a small kit manufacturer in Seattle, Washington, Howard Engineering, started production of a fiberglass and foam wing version of the famous Kwik Fli III. The Howard Engineering version has a tapered wing and some modifications to the aileron configuration, thrust line and the stab placement. I purchased one of the kits in the early 70s, built it and really enjoyed its flight characteristics. The kit was very well done with impressive fiberglass work and well thought out design elements.

My Kwik Fli III was powered with then the hot engine of the day, a Webra Black Head and had CAS retracts activated with a Sonic pneumatic system. The radio was the requisite Kraft 6 channel.

The three plane photo was taken at the 1973 Northwest Symposium showing my orange Kwik Fli and a yellow Kwik-OS. The Kwik-OS is a Kwik Fli with a Kaos wing. The black and white photo of me and the color photos of the Kwik Fli at the SRAC club field, circa 1973.

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Nov 23, 2013 at 03:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2013, 03:09 PM
Thread OP
I liked the Kwik Fli III so much I decided to build a second kit in 1974. After I completed the building of the kit but before painting It, I got sidetracked with helicopters and ended up trading it to a friend in the mid 70s. I thought of the Kwik Fli III occasionally and then I was contacted by my friend 2004 and he offered to give me the Kwik Fli III back. After all these years he had not completed he paint work. What a wonderful gift from a great friend!

He boxed up the aircraft and shipped it via UPS. Unfortunately UPS decided to do some heavy stress testing on the box and crushed it badly.

Undeterred, I rebuilt everything and completed it. It was so interesting seeing my work again after so many years and I’ve enjoyed flying the Kwik Fli. It has the original band new 1974 vintage Rom-Air retracts and two motor mounts set up for a Webra Blackhead 61 or a Irvine 61.

The Kwik Fli is one of my treasures. My build thread on RCU http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Howa...2434444/tm.htm

Mike

The You Tube of the Kwik Fli III in flight.

Kwik Fli III Taper Wing (2 min 9 sec)
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Jan 03, 2016 at 02:19 PM.
Nov 23, 2013, 03:19 PM
Thread OP
And just to be safe, I have the very last Howard Engineering Kwik Fli III kit that will ever be made waiting for a build. Howard Engineering is now Pacific Scaled Aircraft and they produce neat P51 Mustang accessories http://www.pacific-scaled-aircraft.com/

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Nov 23, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
Nov 23, 2013, 03:21 PM
Thread OP
The Top Flite kit.

Mike
Nov 23, 2013, 03:28 PM
Thread OP
A few years ago Home Hobby Solutions produced a laser cut Kwik Fli III that I have saved for a future build. It is a full kit with all the hardware and the construction updated. It is no longer available.

Mike
Nov 23, 2013, 03:42 PM
Thread OP
Feel free to post anything Kwik Fli related here.

Mike
Nov 23, 2013, 04:27 PM
Hey Mike, I also have the Home & Hobby Solutions kit to build one day. Too bad Jeff isnt makeing kits any more, everything is first class. There were a few other kits i would have liked to have got from him. Look foreward to a build thread on this one from you one day!....Gene
Nov 23, 2013, 04:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene6029
Hey Mike, I also have the Home & Hobby Solutions kit to build one day. Too bad Jeff isnt makeing kits any more, everything is first class. There were a few other kits i would have liked to have got from him. Look foreward to a build thread on this one from you one day!....Gene
Gene,

Yes, Jeff was really great at kit design and production. Too bad he had to give it up and hopefully some day he can start again. I kept telling him he should charge more for his kits considering all the work he put into them. It is a tough business.

Mike
Nov 23, 2013, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
The Top Flite kit.

Mike
Always liked the KF III, almost did a bidding war with my brother on fleece bay over one! In the end he got it (along with a Tuarus and a Rimfire)! When we opened the we saw that the contents had never ever been removed! Sweet to say the least!
Mark
Nov 24, 2013, 07:30 AM
Hey Mike,
The Home and Hobby Solutions kit looks nice. Would you be willing to sell me a copy of the plans? They wouldn't need to be full sized. I'm curious to see the spar detail, alternative wing servo detail and general build instructions. I'm nearly finished with my Kwik Fli wing and starting the fuselage and rear fin/stabilizers. Building w/ MAN plans and a LazorWorks short kit. I'll post some pics this week. My first build in 25 years! I'm trying to go with duel wing servos so I'm curious about the H and H S kit/plans.
The Kwik Fli is my favorite plane. Thanks for starting this thread!
Best

Chris
Nov 24, 2013, 08:14 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hook57
Always liked the KF III, almost did a bidding war with my brother on fleece bay over one! In the end he got it (along with a Tuarus and a Rimfire)! When we opened the we saw that the contents had never ever been removed! Sweet to say the least!
Mark
Mark,

Some of the Kwik Fli III kits have gone for big bucks on the ebay. You are lucky to have a kit, epically one that have never been touched.

Mike
Nov 24, 2013, 08:21 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjannelli
Hey Mike,
The Home and Hobby Solutions kit looks nice. Would you be willing to sell me a copy of the plans? They wouldn't need to be full sized. I'm curious to see the spar detail, alternative wing servo detail and general build instructions. I'm nearly finished with my Kwik Fli wing and starting the fuselage and rear fin/stabilizers. Building w/ MAN plans and a LazorWorks short kit. I'll post some pics this week. My first build in 25 years! I'm trying to go with duel wing servos so I'm curious about the H and H S kit/plans.
The Kwik Fli is my favorite plane. Thanks for starting this thread!
Best

Chris
Chris,

Amazingly, I discovered yesterday that Jeff's email still works when I emailed him about the reproduction canopies that he made for the later kits. Mine is an early kit that did not have the reproduction canopy. I'm waiting to find out if he has any canopies that he would sell and I can ask about the plans. The larger question that I will ask is if he thinks he will ever produce more kits.

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Nov 24, 2013 at 11:58 AM.
Nov 24, 2013, 11:56 AM
Intermediate Multi

Kwik Fli Pic

This 1971 book says that the cover picture was taken at a meet of the Jersey Central Club, at Pittstown Airport, New Jersey.
Nov 24, 2013, 12:03 PM
Thread OP
Another cover photo.

Mike
Nov 24, 2013, 12:39 PM
Thread OP
I have the Model Airplane News magazine with Kwik Fli III article and have it on a PDF, but the file exceeds the RC Groups file size. Zip does not compress it enough to upload.

I found the solution. ZIP files can be larger than PDF files so I ZIPed it. I believe most of the Windows operating systems will un-ZIP it for you after downloading without using un-ZIP software.

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Nov 24, 2013 at 04:27 PM.

Quick Reply