IKON N'wst Monocoupe 90 build - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 23, 2013, 12:45 PM
Build Log

IKON N'wst Monocoupe 90 build

I'm starting a Ikon N'wst Monocoupe 90 build. I consider myself a novice builder and I know the Ikon kits can require quite a bit of thought. There are some talented builders here and I hope to document my build and to be able to ask questions and get advice and suggestions.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2013, 01:33 PM
Talented builders, here!! LOL
Subscribed!!!
Nov 23, 2013, 02:15 PM
I got copies of the plans made so I don't tear up the originals. Took a few trys but my staples got them accurately sized at 99.8% on their large format copier. Now taking some time to study the plans and take inventory of the wood in the kit. I'll start with the wings.

I had to move my shop to the basement for this build but I've got a nice little set-up down there. I built a new workbench and got a piece of 20g sheet steel to go on the top. I'll be using magnets instead of pins on this build.
Nov 23, 2013, 06:02 PM
Ohhhhhh, your gonna love the magnets. And don't forget the painters plastic for covering the plans.
Nov 23, 2013, 06:45 PM
I took inventory of everything and it all looks like its all there. The wood looks pretty good. The fiberglass isn't the blue/green color I've seen with other Ikon kits but I figure its probably just a little older kit.

First task is to laminate strips of balsa to form the wintips. I'm trying to decide whether to make a form from some mdf to wrap the strips around while the glue dries or just use a bunch of magnets over the plan along the inside radius of the tips as the form.

For now I'm using waxed paper, I've got painters plastic on my list for the next time I go to the hardware store.
Nov 23, 2013, 07:09 PM
I have done the magnet thing a time or two, works real well.
Nov 23, 2013, 07:11 PM
Have even done it using dowels.
Nov 23, 2013, 07:15 PM
team sleprock
Hi! my name is John, and I am a balsaholic!

you already have some good help! with ace here, an there will be more!

I will be around! looks like gonna be a fun build!
Latest blog entry: Mig 29/Su37 super flanker
Nov 23, 2013, 07:25 PM
Rotflmao!!!!
Nov 23, 2013, 07:41 PM
Robert, I thought I'd remembered you used the magnets that way to laminate. I'll probably do the tips with the magnets as the form tomorrow. Its amazing how strong those magnets are when you 2 little metal pieces on the sides vs. when its just the magnet itself.

A few things I've seen that I'm going to change: the shape of the bottom of the fuse per plans is pretty much striaight where full size has a double curve on bottom and also rudder shape is off. I'll probably end up making an mdf form and laminate some strips to make the bottom longerons for the fuse to make sure I have 2 identical pieces.
Nov 23, 2013, 08:51 PM
Neddy, are you going to scale the aileron pull-pull controls?
Nov 23, 2013, 09:53 PM
I seem to recall from some old threads that the Ikon Monocoupe had a habit of breaking a wing in flight. Just outboard of the root rib. A search should bring up some more info and hopefully some solutions. Good luck, I wish Ikon was still around.
Nov 23, 2013, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace4rc
Neddy, are you going to scale the aileron pull-pull controls?
No, I don't think I'm going to go quite that scale. I just want a more scale outline.
Nov 23, 2013, 11:37 PM
AMA 910957
Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy191
I'm starting a Ikon N'wst Monocoupe 90 build. I consider myself a novice builder and I know the Ikon kits can require quite a bit of thought.
Subscribed!

I have this kit in my stash. Looking forward to seeing you putting to together.

EJ
Nov 24, 2013, 09:42 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
And of course old Earl's going to join in !! I have a 1/4 scale Executive Designs build around here ,somewhere..

Monocoupe Monocoupe Monocoupe !!!

I hope to be ready to cover mine , about the same time you are...