Nov 23, 2013, 12:24 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
Build Log

Panair XX-P Seaplane Tender

In the "Research This..." thread, I started with the random discovery of Pan American seaplane tenders in a little ad from an old issue of Yachting. With much probing and help from others (like G_Mendes), I discovered that Pan American had a whole fleet of seaplane tenders for its famous Clippers, and that these boats served in Pan Am bases spread across the Atlantic, Pacific, and Caribbean.

Most were semi-open cabin cruisers between 30 and 39 feet, sometimes locally sourced. But I've become interested in a series built by the Julius Petersen yard in Nyack NY between 1940 and 1942. These are particularly handsome boats, and one in particular, "Panair XX-P", gained note for her actions at Pearl Harbor, where she was worked by her Pan Am crew to fight fires.
Last edited by patmat2350; Mar 22, 2014 at 01:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2013, 12:31 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
The old Petersen yard in Nyack has been bought and sold a couple times, and none of the old records are known to exist. The boat's designer, Walter Boyne of NY-- no trace on the web, and nothing in the likely archives. And while lots of photos have been found in the Pan Am archives at the University of Miami, there's no hint of drawings there.

So, I guess I'll just have to reconstruct the Petersen shape from photos and best guesses!
Nov 23, 2013, 02:46 PM
Grumpa Tom
Cool. Since the Boeing 314 Clipper is one of my favorite aircraft I will be watching this with interest. How long will your model be?
Nov 23, 2013, 02:48 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
I'm thinking 1:12 will be a good size...
Nov 23, 2013, 04:17 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
Anyone want to guess what color the roof and deck were?

It doesn't look like stained & varnished... it's a work boat after all. I'm thinking light grey is a good bet, but maybe a light green or blue?

The little 32 footer had a varnished roof, maybe mahogany...
Nov 23, 2013, 06:49 PM
Pan Am colors ........
Nov 23, 2013, 06:51 PM
Grumpa Tom
1941, similar style boat cruising by.
Nov 23, 2013, 07:38 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B.
Pan Am colors ........
No Pan Am baby blue back then... no stewardesses either!

Stewards in white coats, flight crew in navy with white caps... and silver planes with navy markings...

Oh, and no cabin pressurization either... you had to fly low and "in the weather" all the way across the ocean... barf bag please!
Nov 24, 2013, 12:30 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Hi Pat

This is perfect timing as I need to look and learn for our new crackerbox boats, i'am a fan of those big flying boats too

G Don
Nov 24, 2013, 01:06 AM
Taking care of the pond.
Nov 24, 2013, 08:13 AM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don
Hi Pat

This is perfect timing as I need to look and learn for our new crackerbox boats, ...

G Don
Don't hold your breath waiting on me! This will take a while to get going... but there are plenty other build threads to read around here.
Nov 24, 2013, 09:00 AM
Pat, This thread has to be one of my favorites.
I can see a book just on this subject.

Color of the tops, That Pan Am blue on the emblem?

And I think your hull design is a few inches too deep midships. Shallower hull would make her plane off quicker.
Nov 24, 2013, 09:25 AM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
I'll see about those few inches- but don't expect too much planing, this thing is a boat! 22mph claimed on one Hall Scott Invader.
Nov 24, 2013, 09:31 AM
All the pictures seem to show a straight sheer some what similar to the post war Elco 40' but with less freeboard. Given the historical nature(Pearl Harbor) the XX-P would definitely be the one to build.
Last edited by charlie eaton; Nov 24, 2013 at 09:36 AM.
Nov 24, 2013, 09:59 AM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
I've been wrestling with that sheer line, but I think it's a bit reverse forward.. and the cabin lines have a reverse sheer to follow/accentuate it... a nice bit of styling for a work boat!

The sheer will be masked by that canvas-covered foam rubber fender. At least they cleaned it up in this model... the previous 32 footer had a lot of visible lacing to secure the canvas, while this Petersen has a much cleaner attachment. Looks like a bolt rope/draw string to snug the cover at the lower edge... but I haven't found any shots that reveal the upper edge. It'll be a challenge to make this thing look convincing.

Then, build her as-new? Or as of 12/7/41? Other than the bullet hole in a window and the bunker oil all over the white hull, the main difference seems to be that they jettisoned the folding mast, and moved the anchor lamp to the aft edge of the cabin roof.

Quick Reply